PDA

View Full Version : Upside-down hairs? (Just a random observation)

Ohio Sky
July 28th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Whenever I get bored at work and start looking at my ends, I always notice all these little white balls that look like splits starting to form, but if I pull at the hair, it comes out, and then I realize that the little white ball is the roots.

This happens several times a day usually. How in the world do all these little hairs get put in my head upside down? :lol:

Hatsumomo
July 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I've noticed that a few times as well. How did they manage to turn upside down?? Confusing :lol:

Silver & Gold
July 28th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well, you have discovered a new type to add to the hair typing system., "Acrobatic Hair". Isn't it nice to know that your hair is gifted?

Apeldille
July 28th, 2008, 04:40 PM
My hair does that too. Very confusing :lol: I wonder how it happens :)

JessTheMess
July 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Mine too!!! it amazes me :magic:

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Oh yes! That happens to me all the time. I thought it was just me. :o

forgetmenotak
July 28th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Oh thank goodness it isn't just me! Silly hair.

nappywomyn
July 28th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hah! Mine too! I've no clue how the sheds manage to flip themselves - it's so odd! :lol:

Anje
July 28th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I get those too! Actually, I suspect the hair is actually folded in half, which seems more plausible than the end making its way to the scalp.

nappywomyn
July 28th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I get those too! Actually, I suspect the hair is actually folded in half, which seems more plausible than the end making its way to the scalp.

Ahh, that does make sense! :agree: By the time I pull it out, I can't really tell where, exactly, the end actually was.

frizzinator
July 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
That's a very nice avatar photo, Nappywomyn.

nappywomyn
July 29th, 2008, 09:44 AM
That's a very nice avatar photo, Nappywomyn.

:o Thanks, frizzinator!!! :flowers:

Ohio Sky
July 29th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Well, you have discovered a new type to add to the hair typing system., "Acrobatic Hair". Isn't it nice to know that your hair is gifted?

:rollin:

I know this is the case at least some of the time, but I suspect a few of my hairs have done full 180s.

I figure it probably happens when I have my hair bunned. The hairs fall out of the bun, the ends attach themselves somewhere, and when I take the bun down they flip. It just doesn't seem like it should happen THAT often, lol.

kate46
July 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
oh my! While reading through this thread I'm going :agree::agree::agree: then it suddenly dawned on me :bigeyes: just how obsessed are we when we notice an upside down hair?!!! :ponder:

lora410
July 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
ha ha ha I get this to.

Golden21
July 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Oh my, when I first read this I though you meant it was growing upside down! I understand now!

thankyousir74
July 29th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Haha yeah that happens to me too, I get a little relieved that It's not a giant split ^.^ Plus when i pull shed hairs out I always say to myself (like a mantra) "Don't worry, 100 shed hairs per day is normal..."

Meli
July 29th, 2008, 04:27 PM
OK, I was just S&D-ing my sleep braids. Found a white dot at the end of a hair, but the hair was pointing in a weird direction so I checked to see if there was more damage higher up the shaft. Turned out that it wasn't a white dot, but one of those bulbs at the root of a shed hair - braided in upside down... :silly:

danacc
July 29th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I see many of these after hair wash day in the shower. I guess my hair likes to practice synchronized swimming. I've noticed that these shed strands during washing are often at the root of tangles in the ends when my hair is wet, too.

Maybe the water more easily grabs onto the now-freed root and washes it down to the ends. Meanwhile, the rest of the strand is embedded in a a wet "hair rope", and so it is not inclined to free up or move much.

Takethevitamin
July 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
It's just exposed hair follicle - on either end. It's only a "problem" on the ends, though.

Little_Bird
July 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Lol...

My white balls are not roots at all! They do need to be cut :eek:

Oh well... gotta pay atention for that one tough!

Ohio Sky
July 30th, 2008, 04:17 PM
oh my! While reading through this thread I'm going :agree::agree::agree: then it suddenly dawned on me :bigeyes: just how obsessed are we when we notice an upside down hair?!!! :ponder:

Like there's not 100 threads here that hit you that way! :lol:

Haha yeah that happens to me too, I get a little relieved that It's not a giant split ^.^ Plus when i pull shed hairs out I always say to myself (like a mantra) "Don't worry, 100 shed hairs per day is normal..."

Yeah I have to tell myself that one, too... It seems like my hair falls out A LOT but I think it's mostly because of the length. 3 hairs = a pretty good sized hairball, lol. I haven't bothered counting but I'd venture to guess I actually shed less than normal, even counting my acrobat hairs. :ponder:

I see many of these after hair wash day in the shower. I guess my hair likes to practice synchronized swimming. I've noticed that these shed strands during washing are often at the root of tangles in the ends when my hair is wet, too.

Maybe the water more easily grabs onto the now-freed root and washes it down to the ends. Meanwhile, the rest of the strand is embedded in a a wet "hair rope", and so it is not inclined to free up or move much.

After a shower and after taking out a bun is when I notice them. I guess any kind of manipulation can cause it.