PDA

View Full Version : Energetic/holistic hair cut

bouclée
May 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Hi there :)

I have an appointment on Monday with a hairdresser who cut hair according to Chinese meridians (Remi Portrait's method). I've been very curious about this for a while and I've recently moved to a city where I could find a hairdresser using this method, so I decided to try!

There is first a "hair diagnostic", then a shiatsu scalp massage and they eventually cut the hair with a very sharp razor, giving a "vibration" to the hair that seems very beneficial for the scalp too.

I am a bit nervous because I usually hate going to the hairdresser, but I am also very curious and excited! I haven't trim for almost a year and my ends look ok. The hairdresser assured me there was no need to cut more than an inch for this method to be effective, so hopefully I will not loose too much length (finger crossed)...

There are several hairdresser using this method in France, and I was wondering if this was popular in the rest of the world too? Did you already try something similar ?

Anyway, I will report back on Monday and tell you what happened...

Amber_Maiden
May 11th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Never heard of it, but sounds interesting.
And just FYI- razors can cause damage to the hair.

bouclée
May 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
And just FYI- razors can cause damage to the hair.

Yes, I know that point is very controversial. I have read different opinions and it seems it is not more damaging than scissors if the razor is sharp (in that case, they use a traditional folding razor). But I must admit it's one of the points that had me hesitating to try.:rolleyes:

moxamoll
May 11th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Wow, that's new to me too! I can't find much about it in English and my French is terrible... but I can't say I'm sold. There doesn't seem to be much actual TCM theory involved, just "vibrating" hair. Who knows though, I'm always happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Please report back and tell us what you think!

Ephemeral
May 11th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I found a couple of interesting articles that talk about this process and the creator of it - Remi Portrait.

http://cliphumanhairextensions.com/?p=218
http://www.remi-portrait.com/gifs/lady-mars-2010.pdf

bouclée
May 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
So I had my appointment on Monday - and it was amazing!
The hairdresser looked at my hair and scalp and told me many things about my life. It was impressing how right she was ! She also explained me things about the 5 Earth Elements and their influence on hair, possible meanings of thinning hair, etc.
Then, she cut my hair with a sharp folding razor (I don't know what you call this in English, but it looked like the first one on this page (http://www.eco-citoyen.org/rasoir-jetables-et-rasoirs-ecologiques-t949-90.html)).
She asked me to close my eyes and concentrate on the feelings and reactions inside me. I was under the impression she was shaving my scalp, it was terrible and very painful (but she only cut about 1-1.5 inch). She worked on the various meridians, "cleaning" my hair and scalp of past memories.

My hair now looks fuller and with more volume. I also had a cowlick I didn't like and it is far less visible now. I look forward to see how my hair will be in a few days/weeks, as the results should be gradual.

It really was an interesting experiment and I might do it again. Oh, and the hairdresser did not cut more than I asked to and was very respectful of my hair. She also only uses organic and natural products (but a bad plastic hair brush :rolleyes:).

spidermom
May 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Your description sets off my "hooey" alarm, but it does sound very interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

lapushka
May 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Your description sets off my "hooey" alarm, but it does sound very interesting, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Very loud honking alarm going off here also, but I'm glad the OP enjoyed the experience nonetheless!

Siiri
May 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
The hair dresser I go to does energetic hair cuts, but I'm not sure if it's the same method you're talking about. I've always taken the "normal" cut so no personal experiences here, but I've asked about the method from her because I didn't know what it was, it's not common here.

Apart from the mental aspects the point is you get a cut that looks good without styling and doesn't grow out too fast. They cut with scissors and avoid razor to get clean and soft lines, and they don't change your natural parting. They also give you a long head massage before the cut.

"Energetic" refers more to how the treatment is supposed to revitalize you, she didn't really emphasize any mystical/new age aspects.

jel
May 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Fascinating, Bouclee! Thanks for linking the articles, too, Ephemeral! :D

I am somewhat familiar with the theories about energy meridians, so there are no alarm bells ringing here ;), but this is the first time I have heard anything about meridians on the length of the hair. I suppose they just continue down the length, although the direction would be inverted... Don't understand the razor thing, really, and I'd love some more information.

Next time I visit Paris, I may just try to find this salon!

ETA: Traditional Chinese Medicine is a very old discipline, actually - nothing to do with New Age! :D

jacqueline101
May 15th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I know you have to watch razor cuts they can cause damage if they're dull. I've never had a holistic or energetic hair cut. I don't think that service is in my area it does sound nice.

Mrsbaybeegurl
May 15th, 2012, 03:48 PM
She asked me to close my eyes and concentrate on the feelings and reactions inside me. I was under the impression she was shaving my scalp, it was terrible and very painful (but she only cut about 1-1.5 inch). ...

I'm for sure skeptical and a bit confused on why it hurt when she was cutting the hair. I'm glad you liked the experinece but this line right here sends me running away from it faster than I can look into the concept.

Also I'm unsure why she told you there would be no need to cut no more than an inch, yet still managed to cut about a half inch over that.

All in all you enjoyed it and your happy and am in no way trying to rain on your parade, just stating my reaction to your experience lol

moxamoll
May 15th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Fascinating, Bouclee! Thanks for linking the articles, too, Ephemeral! :D

I am somewhat familiar with the theories about energy meridians, so there are no alarm bells ringing here ;), but this is the first time I have heard anything about meridians on the length of the hair. I suppose they just continue down the length, although the direction would be inverted... Don't understand the razor thing, really, and I'd love some more information.

Next time I visit Paris, I may just try to find this salon!

ETA: Traditional Chinese Medicine is a very old discipline, actually - nothing to do with New Age! :D
Yup, TCM and Meridian Theory is very old, but I've never heard of it being specifically applied to hair in this manner. Certainly the condition of hair is considered as part of the overall diagnosis; but treating through hair?? I'm skeptical more because it sounds to me like someone trying to use a theory that not many people in this culture understand to validate a high priced technique that doesn't actually do anything... You can give a hair cut that works with the natural hair and respects the clients wishes without using TCM! But I'd have to have more information to make an informed opinion about it.