PDA

View Full Version : Calling All ii Thick LHC-er's, do you ever feel like a i

gogirlanime
May 10th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Do you ever feel your pony thickness and feel like it's too thin? I'm really discouraged with my hair right now because I am shedding a lot and my pony is 3" (but I have bangs that are 1" thick so my pony would probably be 3.5" around) but I feel like it's so thin :( Anyone look at iii hair and think "that is how thick my hair should be" or should I just live with the fact that I have ii hair? It doesn't look thin when it's all worn down but in braids or a pony it looks so thin even though it's 3" around and that's minus a huge chunk because of my bangs. I think my thickness will come in once all the damage is gone because as of now I'm getting close to fairy tale ends

Alva
May 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oh I have this feeling constantly also, but whenever I take a pic the opposite is prooven lol. My circumference is approx. 2.75 inches and I feel like it is really thin, but it is F, so there is a lot of it. So with pics I feel better about my hair. Also the longer it grows, the better it seems. When my hair was shorter I imagined it was even thinner. So keep growing and keep taking pics :) As for braids and stuff, yes they thinner than we would like, but maybe that is only in our eyes, because we busy with the whole hairthing, someone else wouldn't pay attention to that I think... see the advantages, with thinner hair it is less heavy for example. Not sure if it possible to get it thicker, there might be ways but that will not suddenly make a 4 inch out what is a 3 inch thickness, I think.. I am living with the fact I got ii hair and I am not unsatisfied with that. Look around at the forum, there are many with the most beautiful hair who also are ii ;)

Phexlyn
May 11th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Guess how the i's and i/ii's feel... I hate wearing a braid in public and getting the "oh your hair is long BUT IT'S SO THIN" comment. Even if I didn't have that much taper, it would still be thin because it's not even 2 inches wide at the base. I don't like it, and I feel really sad about this sometimes (especially since I used to be an ii, not overly much, but solid) but I have to live with it.

Try to see the positive aspects of your hair :flower: I know it's hard when you're currently shedding, that's always depressing, but the shedding will stop and your hair will thicken up. I admire the people on here who have so patiently been thickening up their hemline and now they have beautiful hair with ii or even i thickness, and seeing their picture is a great encouragement to keep me going :blossom:

oktobergoud
May 11th, 2012, 02:09 AM
I have that feeling constantly.. but I also have fine hair and that gets heavy so easily! So when it's a bit oily it looks really flat and really thin and I hate it :(

But! I can live with it :D

Apriori
May 11th, 2012, 02:18 AM
My hair is only 2.6" in circumference and fine and straight and it does feel very thin most of the time. The sad thing is I didn't actually consider my hair thin before I joined LHC but now I do. I would love to have a 3.5-4" circumference.

Syrena
May 11th, 2012, 02:59 AM
My ponytail circumference is 3 inch. I am really average considering the thickness. My hair is also fine and it starts to taper from mid-back. My lengths are transparent when I wear my hair down. Also down-half of my braid is very thin because of my taper. Sometimes I consider cutting my hair to mid-back – waist. So I can feel confident when my hair is down. But after I still think about my longhair dream…

auburntressed
May 11th, 2012, 03:20 AM
I'm sorry to butt in here, but I wanted you to know that you all aren't alone. I'm a iii, and I also have times when I am doing my hair and I feel like it has suddenly gotten really thin. So I rush to measure my pony again, and it's still the same.

Last summer, my mom was visiting. I was brushing my hair out, and she suddenly says, "Your hair used to be so thick before. It looks like its gotten so thin!" I practically had a heart attack. But... my mom is clearly on crack. My circ is still 5". I think she was confusing the difference between thick and volume - since using henna my hair has lost its curl and it's frizz. I am okay with the sleeker look so long as my scalp continues to feel as good as the henna makes it feel.

That being said, what attracts me to long hair the most is braids. I LOVE braids, and my braid is the reason I keep my hair long. When I look at peoples hair in their albums on here, I look at the braid pics and pass over the rest. I would say that the majority of the really lovely braids I have seen on here were from ii hair. I've seen lovely i braids, too. But the i's tend to not post braid pics as much. But don't feel like your braid is "pathetic." It is not!

I've also noted that most of the super iii's don't post braid pictures either, and it makes me wonder why? French braiding is a really comfortable way to wear iii hair.

Audrey Horne
May 11th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I feel constantly that way. Because the braid is just so so soft and thinnish! And the feeling differs from M or C hair by a leap! So yes, even if the tape says "average" it feels very thin to me :confused: Plus the taper... But it should get better one day.

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I am a iii at 4.25, but I STILL feel my hair is thin...too thin! Its not much better in the iii's for some of us. For instance, my hair takes too long to dry and its heavy, but I STILL want more! I guess I'll never be happy with it....

bunzfan
May 11th, 2012, 05:53 AM
I'm so glad you posted about this i seem to hover between 3.5 and 4 inch and some days my braids feel very thin towards the ends, i have been telling myself this is probably due to my hair being the longest it's ever been so there probably isn't as much volume as there was at say BSL. I also think henna has played a part as i no longer struggle with frizz like i used to before my pre henna days.

CurlyMopTop
May 11th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Constantly! I'm always fighting with myself (whether to cut for thick ends or not). The layers in my hair make my ends look even thinner than what they actually are. You're definitely not alone. :D

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I'm so glad you posted about this i seem to hover between 3.5 and 4 inch and some days my braids feel very thin towards the ends, i have been telling myself this is probably due to my hair being the longest it's ever been so there probably isn't as much volume as there was at say BSL. I also think henna has played a part as i no longer struggle with frizz like i used to before my pre henna days.

Aren't you technically an ii/iii then?:D Just tryin to help! I have seen your braid pics, you have made VERY much progress with eliminating the taper, keep it up, it'll be ALL gone one day!

bunzfan
May 11th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Aren't you technically an ii/iii then?:D Just tryin to help! I have seen your braid pics, you have made VERY much progress with eliminating the taper, keep it up, it'll be ALL gone one day!

Erm i wasn't sure that why i left it as a ii maybe i am thanks for pointing it out:D i really think careful handling plays a big part before i wore my hair up i was a 3 inch pony. I hope your right and it does disappear i'm hoping regular micro trimming will continue to help the difference i've seen in the last 2 months is pretty outstanding.

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Erm i wasn't sure that why i left it as a ii maybe i am thanks for pointing it out:D i really think careful handling plays a big part before i wore my hair up i was a 3 inch pony. I hope your right and it does disappear i'm hoping regular micro trimming will continue to help the difference i've seen in the last 2 months is pretty outstanding.

If I were you, I would put ii/iii, I think 3.5-4 is considered ii/iii at least to me it is. Enjoy your new thickness! I'm sure with careful handling, things withh get ever greater, you have amazing results already!

WaitingSoLong
May 11th, 2012, 06:52 AM
The sad thing is I didn't actually consider my hair thin before I joined LHC but now I do. I would love to have a 3.5-4" circumference.

Ditto.

it feel.

That being said, what attracts me to long hair the most is braids. I LOVE braids, and my braid is the reason I keep my hair long.

I like thick braids, too, but really would not want thicker hair the rest of the time. Thinner is easier to put in buns (my dd's hair is about twice as thick as mine and we could never get it to stay in a bun even when it was at hip...we eventually cut it back to APL and her insistance and begging LOL). It doesn't help when DH points at some girl and says "honey look at her (2) braids, ONE of hers is as thick as your single braid!". Thanks sweety.:mad:

Vampyria
May 11th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I have 3.5 circumference without bangs and I'm little above APL and my hair feels pretty thin sometimes. I think it's mostly because there is still some dyed and really tapered hair I'm growing out (around 5 inches). So It doesn't look or feel as thick as it should. I looks good 1 day after I wash it, but later just looks really flat and thin.

Sometimes I just get the urge to cut all the dye off in one step, but hair that short would't suit me at all.

florenonite
May 11th, 2012, 07:05 AM
I'd suggest you try to look at the advantages to your thickness. Having iii hair isn't all sunshine and rainbows, after all. It takes a lot more length to be able to do most styles, and then by the time your hair's long enough it's so heavy the style's uncomfortable. Just like people with thinner hair sometimes wish their hair was thicker, there are days when I wish I had thinner hair.

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I'd suggest you try to look at the advantages to your thickness. Having iii hair isn't all sunshine and rainbows, after all. It takes a lot more length to be able to do most styles, and then by the time your hair's long enough it's so heavy the style's uncomfortable. Just like people with thinner hair sometimes wish their hair was thicker, there are days when I wish I had thinner hair.

So true, very well said.

Anje
May 11th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Sometimes. My circumference hovers between 2.25 and 2.5 inches, and I see tons of people with iii hair complaining that their hair is too thin.

Usually I think mine's fine, if a little skinny for braids. I like to wear a hat with a brim when outside, and it's still thick enough that most buns interfere with the hat.

Jing
May 11th, 2012, 07:26 AM
OH yes. All the damn time. I'm always trying new things reputed to make more hairs sprout. My ponytail is right at 3", too, and I am growing my bangs out, but they're not long enough to get in there yet. I don't think they'll add even nearly half an inch, though.

I like thick braids, too, but really would not want thicker hair the rest of the time. Thinner is easier to put in buns (my dd's hair is about twice as thick as mine and we could never get it to stay in a bun even when it was at hip...we eventually cut it back to APL and her insistance and begging LOL). It doesn't help when DH points at some girl and says "honey look at her (2) braids, ONE of hers is as thick as your single braid!". Thanks sweety.:mad:

This is exactly what parandi are for. ;)

Guenever
May 11th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Oh yeah, all the time.. But that's mainly due to crazy taper.. I can live with ii hair - but after 5 months of maintaining I'm no where near having a non-see through hemline :justy:

WaitingSoLong
May 11th, 2012, 07:43 AM
This is exactly what parandi are for. ;)

Tru dat. I love my parandi :)

amanda_the_tall
May 11th, 2012, 08:08 AM
sad day, my ponytail is 1.5". someone let me borrow your hairs! lol

summergreen
May 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
... it starts to taper from mid-back. My lengths are transparent when I wear my hair down. Also down-half of my braid is very thin because of my taper. Sometimes I consider cutting my hair to mid-back – waist. So I can feel confident when my hair is down. But after I still think about my longhair dream…

This is it for me as well. I know from experience, though, that my hair will thin out at the ends as soon as it's cut, so might as well have hip length thin ends as BSL thin ends!

I think the F/M/C of the strands makes a difference too .I'm more of a M with some F mixed in, I have a friend with super-fine hair who has the same pony circumference as me but about twice as many individual strands. To me her hair looks thick, I guess because I'm seeing soooo many hairs!!

GenLove86
May 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Oh yes it is discouraging but there are some perks to thin hair! For example, it takes no time to dry, it is light and flows nicely,my boyfriend loves the feel of my fine hair, and it blow drys out very nicely! I do hate wearing my hair in a pony and braids because of the bald spots but I've found ways around it. A really fine tooth comb with a pick at the end will brush out the bald spots. There are tricks to making hair look thicker.. some of them damaging and some not. If it's in a braid try pulling at the sides lightly to add the illusion of thickness.

Laur
May 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I was super surprised when I came here to discover that I have ii thickness hair - all my life I've been told my hair is "fine and thin" when really it's just "fine and normal". Usually i don't mind the thickness, because at a ii, I can do lots of updos earlier than other folks with more hair, but I do rather hate the intense taper I used to have. My hair LOOKS so much thicker at APL than it did at almost hip, mostly because at hip I had a dramatic taper for the last foot of hair.

auburntressed
May 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Ditto.

That is SUCH a guy thing to say. I love how your braid looks, btw. Very even and swingy.

Hollyfire3
May 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Sometimes. My circumference hovers between 2.25 and 2.5 inches, and I see tons of people with iii hair complaining that their hair is too thin.

Usually I think mine's fine, if a little skinny for braids. I like to wear a hat with a brim when outside, and it's still thick enough that most buns interfere with the hat.

I'm an iii complaining about my hair...sorry, I'm just greedy and always was more...maybe I should realize I have quite a bit...but so do alll who say their hair is too thin, its all in perception

Vanilla
May 11th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I've been experiencing a lot of breakage at my temples lately (and probably hair loss). I used to be able to pull my hair back in a half up with none of my scalp showing, but my pony circumference hasn't changed from 3.5 inches. My hair feels thin to me now because I have some scalp cleavage where I didn't before.

cuties
May 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I am having the scalp cleavage at my left crown as well. It only shows up the day after I wash my hair. I have just 2.5" ponytail circumference and I have found my ponytail looks much better when ends behave though still thin. I have also found that french braid looks better than regular braid and some kind of volumizing shampoo also helps. But the day after wash when my scalp gets oily, my hair looks so thin.

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I always measure around 4" but my hair is so fine that it feels thin, like I'm touching nothing. Depending on how I style it, it will either look super thick or very thin. I do notice that after I do a chemical change to my hair, it feels a bit thicker, probably because of the damage on the strands. Sometimes when I look at pictures, I think my hair looks pretty thin, but then I remember I have kind of a big head, so maybe it just appears thinner because I have more scalp to grab from :shrug:

Raponsje
May 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I recognise the feeling. Now that I am at tb it looks thinner than ever. When I wore it down in the office last week, I got a comment that it looks better in my usual crownbraid.

But, I do actually like my hair. The color, the softness and the elf-like quality suit me. I think that thick hair would not look good on me. My body shape is also thin. My chest is small, my hands are long and fine so it somehow fits the whole picture.

gogirlanime
May 11th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I feel a bit better now. I just realized that I still have layers in my hair as well. I've been doing things all wrong. I have been trimming my hair by grabbing small pieces and cutting the same length so my layers have never caught up and that's why my ends are thin. I am going to go to my hairstylist who's cut my hair since I was little and have her do my trims until my layers catch up. Sorry to the i's around here for complaining, I know your hair is thinner :( but don't give up. It's true thinner hair = less of everything so there is a plus.

Tia2010
May 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I measure around 3.78 inches, so I'm a ii who feels thin. But it photographs thick and looks thick ... people always seem shocked how light and soft it feels if they touch it :) They assume it will be thicker. I guess my hair is a master of disguise :D

Long_hair_bear
May 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I know how you feel..... Sometimes my ii hair feels so thin! :-(

aldasbeke
May 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I mean, I'm lucky to measure 2.5 on a good day, so I don't understand solid ii/iii and iii people who feel its too thin. I'd love to have that circumference. Id never want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I personally don't think the "good" things about thin hair are all that good and the "bad" things about thick hair are all that bad. But I've always had major hair envy/issues that lhc has helped a lot with. Not to say that others with fine/thin hair dont have pretty hair. I just think mine is not and there isn't much I can do about it.

That said, I wonder how much thicker a course hair is than a fine hair. It's an intriguing thought to think that I have the same quantity of hairs as a thicker-haired person, although each individual hair is much finer.

ladylowtide
May 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I was going to "ooh ooh me!" to this thread but I just did a thickness measurement for the first time since January and my hair has gone from 2.75 to 3.25!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I had to to do was wait for all the layers to get to pony length. :cheese:
And I still have some bangs hang out.

That being said I am still envious of the volume that some lhcers have! Particularly those with iii hair that is 2a or 2b! I'm totally jealous of that type of hair. But on the other hand I love the look of f or baby f hair that is i through ii as well. Lol

It is a good thing I cannot magically wish for the hair of my dreams, because I would end up with many different types of hair at once. :D

melusine963
May 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I wish my hair were thicker. I'm growing out a bit of damage at the moment that's the result of my braid rubbing against my collar for years, but even that won't help much. Sometimes seeing people whose hair is literally twice as thick as mine makes me feel discouraged, since no matter what I do I know mine will never measure up.

MsBubbles
May 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
My hair is a solid (ii), and doesn't 'feel' like a (i). But in some of my recent photos it honestly looks way thinner on the ends than all the (i) growers here - whose hair shots look plenty beautiful IMO.

I posted this in another recent thread, that I have seen many (i) or (i/ii)'s with perfectly stunning hemlines and back of the head shots. I was considering head shapes, tapers, head sizes and hair-growth distribution on the sides and backs of heads, as well as body shapes and sizes. I have a very rangey body type so my shoulders and back are rather broad. I think this makes my (ii) 3" pony circ hair look more sparse than the (i)'s on a more normal sized lady.

In other words, ponytail circumferences at the nape are only part of the picture. How my hair 'feels' to me when I wear it down is not a good indicator of how thin it actually looks on the ends :gabigrin:. I only ever freak out about it if I take a photo which happens to not come out too well.

Tabihito
May 11th, 2012, 06:39 PM
My ponytail circumference is slightly under 2", and trust me, I'd love to have even another half inch. On the other hand, I do what I can with what I was given. I can do buns well before a lot of other people can (I did a nautilus bun before I hit BSL). I don't wear braids down my back, but I do side braids, which don't tend to look as thin as they are.

Honeyfall
May 12th, 2012, 09:48 AM
OH do I hear that... Every shed hair makes my heart sink a little more. I have hopes that when I grow out all my layers and what have you it'll be thicker, though.

I am trying to work on not being so sensitive about it. :o

Katze
May 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
My hair is very thick at the roots but tapers super fast - partially due to new growth from a postpartum shed (DD is 3), partially due to what I guess is short terminal length. :( Beyond shoulder length, my hair is and has always been thin, tapering down to single individual hairs at BSL.

I really wish I had even just the moderate thickness I have at my nape in my length. But I don't, and probably never will.

Nannanej
May 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I've definitely felt a lot of thickness envy lately. I seriously don't think I'd mind having longer drying times and more difficulties with updos if I got to have thick hair.
BUT I think the most important thing here is to remind oneself that there are more important things to worry about .. And if that is not the case, what a great life (:

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I've definitely felt a lot of thickness envy lately. I seriously don't think I'd mind having longer drying times and more difficulties with updos if I got to have thick hair.
BUT I think the most important thing here is to remind oneself that there are more important things to worry about .. And if that is not the case, what a great life (:

It may not be as important as world hunger but to some (me included) hair is important even if everything else in our lives aren't perfect. Sure, its not the only think I worry about, but its one of them, to me, its part of my confidence and identity, not all of it, but some of who I am is in my hair. I understand though that not eveyone feels that way.

Nannanej
May 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
It may not be as important as world hunger but to some (me included) hair is important even if everything else in our lives aren't perfect. Sure, its not the only think I worry about, but its one of them, to me, its part of my confidence and identity, not all of it, but some of who I am is in my hair. I understand though that not eveyone feels that way.

Well yeah, I see what you mean. Obviously, since I said that I feel a lot of thickness envy myself :p
I think what I meant was just .. you know, there isn't really a lot we can do about it, and it's easy to become obsessed and feel terrible. Maybe looking at things in a bigger perspective can help sometimes. It's not the end of the world, you know? I was talking to myself just as much as I was talking to everyone else. :)

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Well yeah, I see what you mean. Obviously, since I said that I feel a lot of thickness envy myself :p
I think what I meant was just .. you know, there isn't really a lot we can do about it, and it's easy to become obsessed and feel terrible. Maybe looking at things in a bigger perspective can help sometimes. It's not the end of the world, you know? I was talking to myself just as much as I was talking to everyone else. :)

Oh, that makes sense, sorry for reading it wrong. I have many insecurities concerning my hair (the messyness, old heat damage, the color, the poof, the curls) but there really isn't much I can do to change some of it. The truth is, even though I have thickness, I lack smoothness, and vice versa for everyone, if its not one thing we don't have, its another.

Nannanej
May 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Oh, that makes sense, sorry for reading it wrong. I have many insecurities concerning my hair (the messyness, old heat damage, the color, the poof, the curls) but there really isn't much I can do to change some of it. The truth is, even though I have thickness, I lack smoothness, and vice versa for everyone, if its not one thing we don't have, its another.

/ Sorry for not explaining myself very well ;)
Yeah, and the grass is always greener and so on. hm, I guess this whole issue transfers to many other things in life as well. I think it's really important to be able to make peace with the things we can't change, cliché as it sounds.

Hollyfire3
May 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM
/ Sorry for not explaining myself very well ;)
Yeah, and the grass is always greener and so on. hm, I guess this whole issue transfers to many other things in life as well. I think it's really important to be able to make peace with the things we can't change, cliché as it sounds.

Its cliche but true. I will proabably always want smooth, straight, easy hair, I want to keep the thickness either way, but it would be SO much easier to have iii 1b or so hair instead of iii 2b/2c hair....

aldasbeke
May 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM

You sound like my mom! But that's not a bad thing. I'm just past Bsl now with a lot of taper and damage, but I hope my hair looks as lovely as yours does when I finally get to waist!

earthnut
May 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I was actually surprised when I measured my hair for LHC, because I always thought of my hair as being thick. But it's a solid 3". I still feel like it's thicker though. I wish it was a little thinner!

Nannanej
May 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM
You sound like my mom! But that's not a bad thing. I'm just past Bsl now with a lot of taper and damage, but I hope my hair looks as lovely as yours does when I finally get to waist!

Haha, well .. moms can be helpful I guess :D
It's been about a year since I decided I wanted really long hair and I found this place and so on. Sounds like I was in exactly the same situation as you, around bsl and sooo much taper and damage. A lot can definitely happen in a year, and my hair has gotten so much better, so I'm sure yours will too! S&Ding and microtrimming has helped me a lot :)
Oh and thanks btw! <3

Lady Neeva
May 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
My hair is quite fine with scraggly ends-my trims are disasters. This is partially why I wear my hair up-I don't want to see the ends.

vindo
May 12th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I never felt like it. But I tend to get the "your hair is soooo thin" comment.

I was ii/iii before the hair loss and am now at 3.3 inches -> ii.

Audrey Horne
May 12th, 2012, 10:31 PM
I mean, I'm lucky to measure 2.5 on a good day, so I don't understand solid ii/iii and iii people who feel its too thin. I'd love to have that circumference. Id never want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I personally don't think the "good" things about thin hair are all that good and the "bad" things about thick hair are all that bad. But I've always had major hair envy/issues that lhc has helped a lot with. Not to say that others with fine/thin hair dont have pretty hair. I just think mine is not and there isn't much I can do about it.

That said, I wonder how much thicker a course hair is than a fine hair. It's an intriguing thought to think that I have the same quantity of hairs as a thicker-haired person, although each individual hair is much finer.
That's what I've been thinking.... :lipssealed: pardon me, folks

auburntressed
May 12th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Over the years, I have listened to A LOT of girls complain that their hair is "soo thick," and that it is "too thick" to do anything with, and ect. Going on and on about how much hair they have and what a bother it is.

None of the people I've seen that from have had hair longer than BSL, nor was their hair in the iii range. Most of it, I'd say, was smack in the middle to upper middle of ii.

It always confused me, because I wasn't sure if they genuinely disliked their hair's thickness; or if they were fishing for compliments. Like, stating that they "hate" their "thick" hair so that someone will jump in an be like, "Ooooh, but your hair is sooo beautiful because it's so thick!" You know how girls do that.

But yeah, the majority of people who I have listened to in real life complain about having "too much" hair - whether too long or too thick, well... it baffles me.

Maybe the key here is that on LHC, we have a crowd that is so skilled at dealing with length and all the various thicknesses out there that we don't realize how difficult hair can be for some people?

Either way - there ARE people who seem to regard thickness as unfavorable, for whatever reasons. It really is a shame people can't swap attributes, huh? "I love your eyes!" "Oh, but I love YOURS!" "Sweet! Let's trade!"

Mesmerise
May 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Guess how the i's and i/ii's feel... I hate wearing a braid in public and getting the "oh your hair is long BUT IT'S SO THIN" comment. Even if I didn't have that much taper, it would still be thin because it's not even 2 inches wide at the base. I don't like it, and I feel really sad about this sometimes (especially since I used to be an ii, not overly much, but solid) but I have to live with it.

Try to see the positive aspects of your hair :flower: I know it's hard when you're currently shedding, that's always depressing, but the shedding will stop and your hair will thicken up. I admire the people on here who have so patiently been thickening up their hemline and now they have beautiful hair with ii or even i thickness, and seeing their picture is a great encouragement to keep me going :blossom:

This!!!! Yes, I understand how people with average thickness may feel their hair is too thin... but when you're actually in the "below average" thickness, and have ends that taper off to nothing... it's really depressing! I am a ii... but really, only just... there's also a big difference between someone who's just over 2" and someone who's not quite 4"... a huge difference!! 4" is NOT twice as thick as 2", it's more than 4x as thick!

I think I'd be rapt if I could JUST have a 3" circ. As it is, I will never wear a braid in public if I can help it, because it looks ridiculous.

I think a big problem here at LHC is thick hair is touted as being the ideal hair, which can make those of us without it feel like our hair just isn't good enough.

However, I try to make peace with my hair. Part of my issue is having gone through a few big sheds which has really thinned out my ends a lot. I do have hope, though, that I can attain hair which isn't quite so tapered and looks good. I am also sort of glad that my hair never gets too hot and heavy!! I do try and see the positives in thinner hair, because there are some :).

chotee
May 13th, 2012, 12:45 AM
All the time! Its not as bad as when i had a massive hair fall a couple of years back, i can still wear a decent braid but the minute the hair reaches past my hip, i feel its too thin, i cut it back to waist. Its been happening many times now, so this time i have made up my mind, thin or thick i will cross target line :-)... Guess its only me who feels like that! My DH always says my hair fine, cant compare to him because he is getting bald though LOL

kme81
May 13th, 2012, 01:35 AM
This is interesting...My circumference is around 3.5" and often it feels too thick! I hope to never be a iii, for me, ii is a very aesthetically pleasing thickness. My hair is thick enough to have rather voluminous braids, but it is not to heavy, and I am able to do buns at shorter lengths than most iii people. Sometimes I even wish my hair was closer to 3"...I guess I'm strange! All in all though, I really love my thickness!

CareBear
May 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I hate hearing "how did you get all that hair into that tiny bun?" grr...

MsBubbles
May 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM

I'd like to know also how much more space a coarse hair takes up than one of my translucent fineys. But anyway, you might be interested to know that supposedly (natural) blondes have the most number of hairs on their heads, followed by brunettes, then redheads. I am trying to find a reputable quote for this but all I can find is wiki answers or yahoo answers. :brains: We had a discussion about it here once.

If anybody ever finds anything other than cassia (has to be reapplied) or henna (turns your hair permanently red) that coats each strand to make it medium or coarse thickness, a whole bunch of us fine haireds will be ecstatic, because of course we have the same number of individual hairs as those with medium or coarse thickness. It's just squashed down into a smaller space.

rowie
May 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I am a iii at 4.25, but I STILL feel my hair is thin...too thin! Its not much better in the iii's for some of us. For instance, my hair takes too long to dry and its heavy, but I STILL want more! I guess I'll never be happy with it....

Omg Hollyfire3 I sooooo agree with you about thick hair taking forever to dry! I'm only in SL+ and my hair takes forever to dry because I just let my hair air dry right out of the shower (I don't even squeeze my hair for fear of damage). Plus my hair is coarse like horse hair. Even though I complain, at least I feel so lucky to be able to do so many up dos at the stage of length i'm in. Do you remember being able to do buns at my stage of length? As a fellow iii, I can't imagine what to look forward to when I get closer to reaching your length....

prosperina
May 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I love hair that is 1a, fine and about a ii. It's so pretty. I would love to have 1a hair. It looks so smooth and silky; my hair gets messy and big very quickly. So I don't agree that thicker is always better or is promoted here as better.

rowie
May 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I love hair that is 1a, fine and about a ii. It's so pretty. I would love to have 1a hair. It looks so smooth and silky; my hair gets messy and big very quickly. So I don't agree that thicker is always better or is promoted here as better.

I still have admiration for the 1a's with thin hair because sometimes I feel like they have it easy. They have smooth and silky hair (they don't need to worry about serums, or the vast products to control frizz), and they don't have to worry about humidity levels, or fear of getting bad frizzy hair days. Still everything has a good and a bad, and I know that the grass is always greener on the other side.

aldasbeke
May 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I'd like to know also how much more space a coarse hair takes up than one of my translucent fineys. But anyway, you might be interested to know that supposedly (natural) blondes have the most number of hairs on their heads, followed by brunettes, then redheads. I am trying to find a reputable quote for this but all I can find is wiki answers or yahoo answers. :brains: We had a discussion about it here once.

If anybody ever finds anything other than cassia (has to be reapplied) or henna (turns your hair permanently red) that coats each strand to make it medium or coarse thickness, a whole bunch of us fine haireds will be ecstatic, because of course we have the same number of individual hairs as those with medium or coarse thickness. It's just squashed down into a smaller space.

I henna and I like the color but it did absolutely nothing for my hair thickness or ponytail circumference. I still have baby fine hair!

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I was super surprised when I came here to discover that I have ii thickness hair - all my life I've been told my hair is "fine and thin" when really it's just "fine and normal". Usually i don't mind the thickness, because at a ii, I can do lots of updos earlier than other folks with more hair, but I do rather hate the intense taper I used to have. My hair LOOKS so much thicker at APL than it did at almost hip, mostly because at hip I had a dramatic taper for the last foot of hair.Same. I've always been told that my hair is very thin, that it wouldn't look good long and that while my hair color is pretty I definitely got the short straw in the hair department compared to my sisters.

Turns out I have a 4.5" circumference which makes it iii. I always thought my inability to do certain hairstyles was due to me being clumsy. I still have to wrap my head around me having thick hair. I still often feel like an i and like my braids are puny and my buns tiny.

(And by the way both my sisters have a much smaller circumference. I know. I measured them. :p)

auburntressed
May 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
(And by the way both my sisters have a much smaller circumference. I know. I measured them. :p)
Sometimes people can have such silly and inaccurate perceptions of other people - especially their family members. It's like they get this image of you stuck in their heads from early childhood or something, and no amount of factual evaluation can change the perception.

Personally, I really would love some body and wave to my hair. But I DO appreciate the fact that my 1'ness makes hair care for me so much easier. I can't imagine having my thickness WITH the volume and hassle that curly hair can be. There's always a silver lining.

Dragon Faery
May 13th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm not exactly sure what my circumference is, as I haven't ever measured it. (I just guessed when filling in my stats, hehe.). But I do know that once my front layers got long enough to be included in my ponytail, I suddenly couldn't do buns I had no trouble with before. So, at least ii people have a wider range of updos they can do at shorter lengths!

I've always admired the look of 1-2, F-M, ii hair, especially in ash blonde hues. It just looks so silky and princessy!!! Especially in half-ups with accent braids. :)

But I love all kinds of hair, really. Each is beautiful in its own way.

Nedertane
May 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Oh yes, every so often, I get that feelin'. It's usually just as a result of me comparing myself to others (hehe, say, the lovely iii-ers here on LHC), which I know I shouldn't do. Or when other people try to compare me. For example, I have a friend who once said that if I "used some Rogaine and styled my hair like that" I would look like Eva Peron. I let it go then, since I know that as someone who never keeps his hair longer than like 1 - 2", he has no idea what he's talking about (c'mon, like Eva, as a Latina, might have had COARSE hair, and used volumizing tricks/products?). But it did annoy me!

Regardless, I know that since my ponytail is juuuuuust above 3", that it's on the thicker side (or at least, what I consider the thicker side) of average thickness. Plus, even though my hair is layered, it still doesn't have that much taper, so that's gotta indicate a lot of hair! Also, I don't think I have a a coarseness/thickness advantage, so to speak, because even though mine is F/M, I consider it closer to the F side of the spectrum.

In short, despite any others' negative (and probably wrong :p) ideas about my hair, or fine vs. thin hair in general, I do love what I've got! :D

JellyBene
May 13th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Yes. I have what my family calls hair-orexia sometimes. I occasionally look in the mirror and think it looks so icky and thin when everyone else things it looks thick :rolleyes:

MinderMutsig
May 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Sometimes people can have such silly and inaccurate perceptions of other people - especially their family members. It's like they get this image of you stuck in their heads from early childhood or something, and no amount of factual evaluation can change the perception.
This is probably it. My hair didn't start growing until I was 2 and it really was very thin when I was a child. I don't know when that changed exactly because it never registered with me that it did until I measured it for hair typing. My sisters both have more voluminous hair though, one is curly and the other has similar waves to me but her hair is course. My hair is much more compact and doesn't compress that much, what you see is what you get. They also have darker hair and I'm blond so that probably does something to the way it's perceived too.

Until I measured it for LHC I was convinced that my hair was a lot thinner than average. I'm also not convinced the LHC method is accurate because I think there are way too much iii's. The average on here is not ii but ii/iii and iii which doesn't make sense. Either i and definitely ii should include thicker circumferences or there should be a fourth indicator for really really thick hair. But that's probably a discussion for another topic.

Hollyfire3
May 13th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Omg Hollyfire3 I sooooo agree with you about thick hair taking forever to dry! I'm only in SL+ and my hair takes forever to dry because I just let my hair air dry right out of the shower (I don't even squeeze my hair for fear of damage). Plus my hair is coarse like horse hair. Even though I complain, at least I feel so lucky to be able to do so many up dos at the stage of length i'm in. Do you remember being able to do buns at my stage of length? As a fellow iii, I can't imagine what to look forward to when I get closer to reaching your length....

I can hardly do a cinnabun...so not too many updos in store for me at this length, sorry:). I squeeze my hair out first and fluff it while drying, it makes a big difference for me. My hair is not super coarse, but some of it is a bit coarse, I have to use so much conditioner as leave in...lol. I am grateful for my thick hair, but when it doesn't behave, watch out! You can do a french twist? Maybe twin braids? A french braid pinned up, a dutch braid pinned up, a peacock twist? All of these can be done at your length. I actually have had my hair past SL for a few years (mantaining at BSL-nearly WL because of flat ironing habit...) so I really don't know what to do with it, I think my hair would just...poof

InTheCity
May 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Oh yeah, all the time.. But that's mainly due to crazy taper.. I can live with ii hair - but after 5 months of maintaining I'm no where near having a non-see through hemline :justy:

I fall into this camp too. It seems no matter what length I'm at, the ends look so thin and scraggly!

I really wish I had even just the moderate thickness I have at my nape in my length. But I don't, and probably never will.

Me too! My hair isn't "thick" near my scalp by any means but it feels approximately a quarter of a zillion times thicker than my pathetic length/ends.