PDA

View Full Version : Help with oily hair?

Ashlbee
May 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I currently wash and condition every day with Tresemme anti-breakage shampoo and conditioner. I've used a lot of product in the past, this is just the most recent, but have the same problem with all of them.

I would LOVE to stretch washes, but my hair gets so oily at the scalp so fast. I mean, I wash it at night, go to bed, and by the morning it is oily. I've always used regular shampoos and conditioners with sulfates and cones and whatnot, never these organic or clarifying products I've been reading about on here.

My hair is pretty healthy, not any breakage I can see/splits/damage and a good texture, it just gets greasy fast. Ironically, when I stayed at a hotel and used their crappy shampoo and conditioner (made my hair feel dry and tangly) I would wake up and my hair was perfect! Soft and oil free.

Does anyone have some product suggestions I could try for shampoo and conditioner use? Probably daily.

I've tried dry shampoo and that works pretty good for one day, but I'd rather not have to. Thanks so much!!

heidi w.
May 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
If you suffer from overly oily hair, I would recommend against applying conditioner to scalp related hair. I would apply it only to the length. If that doesn't work, consider diluting your shampoo, and at the end of the effort, the last thing to try if nothing else works is to dilute the conditioner with some water.

I would start there. I am betting that not applying conditioner to the scalp may help a great deal. Also, one assumes you do not have a scalp skin condition, as I do (which is Seborrheic Dermatitus) which essentially means my hair gets super oily really fast. My sebacious glands are on hyper drive. Lots of fun. I sometimes go around with kind of cakey hair because I can't get to washing it fast or frequently enough. I can not apply a thing to the scalp skin related hair: no conditioner, no oil, no nuttin' or I'll end up with a pool for hair. No joke.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
The other thing I would try if one of the above ideas does work, such as no conditioner applied to scalp skin or scalp related hair, only the length....is you could then try every other day for hair washing instead of daily. Wait first to see if not applying conditioner to scalp hair helps first. Get that squared away, then experiment with skipping a day and see how it goes. You might need different pillowcases too.

Such as a satin pillowcase.

heidi w.

Ashlbee
May 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I few months back I started only conditioning the ends and it helped a lot, but I still wake up with some oil. I did try washing every other day, but all I got was an oil slick. It definitely sounds like we have the same scalp condition! Good to know its not only me :) I will look into that for sure!

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Are you happy with the TreSemme? I found that it coated my hair and made it greasier.

I have greasy roots and dry ends, it's horrible :(

Iolanthe13
May 11th, 2012, 04:22 AM
You might find it beneficial to minimise the sulfates. Sulfates strip your scalp of its natural oils, so it overproduces.

Going mostly sulfate-free has allowed me to wash much less frequently.

Ashlbee
May 11th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I'm not sure if I'm happy with Tresseme, it's ok, and it seems to prevent breakage and splits, but my hair is greasy at the roots. After I finish these bottles I will try the sulfate free thats Ben suggested to see if it helps!