PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing help please?

pepperminttea
May 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I have been meaning to do this for so long, and I finally did it today. :) I clarified, did an ACV rinse, and used a cone-free conditioner to give me enough slip to comb in the shower without weighing it down. Then I rinsed, and left it alone as much as humanly possible. And poof, seven hours later, I had this:

http://i.imgur.com/P1CWW.jpg
(My apologies for the mess on top of my wardrobe in the background.)

This (http://i.imgur.com/CRQCK.jpg) was the under side, without flash. Annoyingly, I got my fingers caught in the ringlet while I was flipping it, and it disappeared. :( Just like that. And flipping back up, after a little bit more fingercombing, it looked like this (http://i.imgur.com/5nli8.jpg) (also without flash) which is pretty much its usual self just with more frizz from the clarifying and lack of leave-ins.

Help would be very much appreciated! :flower:

ps. Just to clarify, those are braidwaves with the ends tucked under the hair tie in my sig. :)

palaeoqueen
May 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Very beautiful hair you have there! Well, I'm pretty new at this but... 2b? What do you think?

Anje
May 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Oooh, ringlets! I think those put you at a solid 2c.

Hollyfire3
May 10th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I say 2b/2c but thats just my opinion. I see some ringlets, but also loose waves so it could be both.

Phalaenopsis
May 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I would see you now as a 2b, but you probably were a 2c when your hair was shorter.
Definitely not a 2a though :)

MissManda
May 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
It looks like 2b or 2b/2c to me. :flower:

torrilin
May 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Those ringlets look awfully long and consistent to me, and they're not the kind of ringlets that spring to mind when I think 2c, but... I'm kind of wondering what some of the 2cs and 3as who have similar length to you would say. My gut feel from dealing with my fine hair is that if frizz appears, you probably should type curlier if there's a reasonable argument one way or another.

So I'd lean towards 2c/3a or maybe even 3a. I don't think the curl pattern is tight enough or consistent enough to be a good example of 3b. But I'm totally not joking about wanting to see what folks who have a similar level of ringlets say.

Diamond.Eyes
May 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
I would have to say 2b/F/ii. :flower:

holothuroidea
May 10th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I say 2b/2c. It's mostly 2b but your vanishing ringlet puts you on the 2c line.

Hairwish
May 10th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I would say 2b.

piratejenny
May 10th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I'd vote for 2b :D

Even though my hair is waaaay shorter I think we have similar types. My canopy is barely wavy (2a) but my underlayer has quite a few rather pronounced curls and ringlets that poke out of layers and by my ears (2c). In sum I consider it 2b.

You have very beautiful hair by the way :)

BlazingHeart
May 10th, 2012, 11:26 PM
I'd say 2c - you really don't see ringlet curls below there, as I understand it. Yeah, you don't have a super-short, tight wave structure, but that may be partly because of your length.

~Blaze

xoxophelia
May 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM
My hair also sometimes dries in long loose ringlets. Kind of like.. tubes. It is odd isn't it? But based on the size of my waves I go with 2a. I think 2a/2b may be more accurate. My hair is actually a bit more wavier than yours so I would go with 2a/2b for you also. I'd consider changing mine but :shrug: too many dashes hehe

Quixii
May 10th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Perhaps 2b/2c? That ringlet is a bit confusing. :D

skaempfer
May 11th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Oooooooooh!
I call "hairtwin!"
I have similar typing problems, too. I get the disappearing ringlet trick a lot, and my hair is very effected by temp/humidity.

Anyway, I type myself as a 2b/c, and you look about the same, I think. Do we have an official term for hair that exhibits different characteristics depending on the weather? Chameleon hair?

pepperminttea
May 11th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Thanks for your help everyone! :flower: I think the majority seem to be going for 2b/c so I'll go with that. If only there was a 2a/c option! :lol:

Those ringlets look awfully long and consistent to me, and they're not the kind of ringlets that spring to mind when I think 2c, but... I'm kind of wondering what some of the 2cs and 3as who have similar length to you would say. My gut feel from dealing with my fine hair is that if frizz appears, you probably should type curlier if there's a reasonable argument one way or another.

So I'd lean towards 2c/3a or maybe even 3a. I don't think the curl pattern is tight enough or consistent enough to be a good example of 3b. But I'm totally not joking about wanting to see what folks who have a similar level of ringlets say.

Goodness! I admit, if I do decide to chop back to a shorter length in the future, I'll be intrigued to see what I have type-wise. What I remember was chock full of 'cones, so not the most helpful for this.

I would have to say 2b/F/ii. :flower:

Thanks! It is quite fine, but it's not baby fine like many Fs here describe, more of a mix, that's why I went with the F/M. :) The circumference is 3.7/8" pulled as tight as I can get it, and normally evens out at dead on 4", hence the ii/iii.

My hair also sometimes dries in long loose ringlets. Kind of like.. tubes. It is odd isn't it? But based on the size of my waves I go with 2a. I think 2a/2b may be more accurate. My hair is actually a bit more wavier than yours so I would go with 2a/2b for you also. I'd consider changing mine but :shrug: too many dashes hehe

I know exactly what you mean. It's like I've got a bit of all the 2s on my head, in varying degrees; a disappearing ringlet, some slight braidwavey-type waves, but the majority is quite a weak wave generally.

Perhaps 2b/2c? That ringlet is a bit confusing. :D

I think it showed up just to confuse me, and everyone else. ;)

Oooooooooh!
I call "hairtwin!"
I have similar typing problems, too. I get the disappearing ringlet trick a lot, and my hair is very effected by temp/humidity.

Anyway, I type myself as a 2b/c, and you look about the same, I think. Do we have an official term for hair that exhibits different characteristics depending on the weather? Chameleon hair?

Always happy to find a hair twin! :D Chameleon hair sounds like an apt description. :)

skaempfer
May 11th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Just one last thing, twin o' mine; I notice a huge difference if I rinse with rain water because our water is HARD. I get a lot more ringlets that way, YMMV.

Just thought you could use another spanner :D

pepperminttea
May 12th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Just one last thing, twin o' mine; I notice a huge difference if I rinse with rain water because our water is HARD. I get a lot more ringlets that way, YMMV.

Just thought you could use another spanner :D

Ooh, I have hard water too, I will have to give the rainwater thing a try. Thanks! :)

Neneka
May 12th, 2012, 06:34 AM
2b/2c. Pretty ringlets. :)

afu
May 12th, 2012, 06:44 AM
i'd say 2b/c too, i don't think there is enough of the spiral hair to get into the 3s.

My hair is awkward too, its probably about half s waves, half spirals, but the spirals aren't loose so i can't really classify it as a 3a

lapushka
May 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Another vote for 2b/2c. :)

spidermom
May 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
2C without a doubt.