PDA

View Full Version : Frizz. The bane of my life.

joflakes
May 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I can't seem to get rid of it. No matter what I do. I remember when I was younger and didn't have any flat irons I used to just lightly wax the surface of my hair to flatten the frizzies down, but I don't really want to have to.

Any ideas?

I've tried CO, S&C, curl creme to try and smooth it into curls, oiling, deep conditioning...

Thanks!

lapushka
May 10th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Have you tried the curl creme in this way? By putting a bit in your hands, spreading it over your palms, then smoothing it over your canopy, so the flyaways will smooth down? This instead of just randomly scrunching it in, for example. Should do the trick. No?

afu
May 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
something which is working really well for me at the moment is this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93489

joflakes
May 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Have you tried the curl creme in this way? By putting a bit in your hands, spreading it over your palms, then smoothing it over your canopy, so the flyaways will smooth down? This instead of just randomly scrunching it in, for example. Should do the trick. No?

I haven't, no. I used it today and put WAY too much in my hand and now my hair looks greasy and is overloaded. Fail!
I'll wash tomorrow and see what that ends up like, thanks!

something which is working really well for me at the moment is this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93489

Thank you, looks interesting. May have to give it a go!

Amethyste
May 10th, 2012, 09:24 AM
did you try drying on cold and adding a little bitof baby oil to your hair?

joflakes
May 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
did you try drying on cold and adding a little bitof baby oil to your hair?

Yup, no joy =(

Amethyste
May 10th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I've noticed too that if I brush my hair while drying it, it frizzes up like crazy... but if I use a wide tooth comb, it behaves.

sarelis
May 10th, 2012, 10:45 AM
My hair always used to be a frizzy mess, pre LHC I used tonnes of coney serum to try & tame it but it always just ended up nasty looking. Now I only wash it around every 3 weeks, use an organic sulphate free shampoo (which I dilute) & coconut oil while damp & frizz is a thing of the past :) Not everyone is happy going 3 weeks without a hair wash but stretching your washes (if you don't already) could help :)

Sisgoldenhair65
May 10th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Hi, Joflakes..it seems our hair type is very similar. I don't have any advice for you product wise but what works for me is using coney S&C then damp bunning. When I take the bun out my hair has a lot less frizz then if I let it dry down plus it makes nice waves and bounce. Not sure if your hair is long enough but of so try it. I usually wash at night, dry down about 3/4 dry then bee bun it. Works for me.

joflakes
May 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I've noticed too that if I brush my hair while drying it, it frizzes up like crazy... but if I use a wide tooth comb, it behaves.

OMG. This might be the difference! I had been just using a wide toothed comb before, and I keep using my Tangle Teezer now. I'm gonna try to use just the comb and see!

My hair always used to be a frizzy mess, pre LHC I used tonnes of coney serum to try & tame it but it always just ended up nasty looking. Now I only wash it around every 3 weeks, use an organic sulphate free shampoo (which I dilute) & coconut oil while damp & frizz is a thing of the past :) Not everyone is happy going 3 weeks without a hair wash but stretching your washes (if you don't already) could help :)

I try to stretch them out. I definitely couldn't go much longer than 3/4 days though. My hair is chin length and would look horrible! I'll try to stretch more though.

Hi, Joflakes..it seems our hair type is very similar. I don't have any advice for you product wise but what works for me is using coney S&C then damp bunning. When I take the bun out my hair has a lot less frizz then if I let it dry down plus it makes nice waves and bounce. Not sure if your hair is long enough but of so try it. I usually wash at night, dry down about 3/4 dry then bee bun it. Works for me.

I wish I could bun it! It's only chin length at the moment, though.
When I have APL hair I braid it into two braids when wet and that sorts it right out. I have about...8-12 months until I get to that length so it'll be a while! =(

oktobergoud
May 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Oh man, I feel you!

I feel it's harder for us supershorties, because (at least for me) everything that will combat frizz (like oils), weighs our hair down and makes it look worse. I mean, when it's longer and a bit greasy you just put it in a ponytail or something, but when it's short you just don't have that option! :(

I have no tips, but I guess we're in the same boat :P The weather is also extremely humid here for the last few days so my hair is one big ball of fluffy frizz. But since it's fine I can't use much otherwise it's FLAT.

Only thing that helps A LITTLE for me is co-washing and R&B from Lush, but I believe that's more for supercurly, dry hair :P

I'll follow this thread closely ;)

Also, I don't touch my hair while it's drying and comb it afterwards with a wide-tooth wooden comb. Still a lot of frizz!

afu
May 10th, 2012, 05:16 PM
OMG. This might be the difference! I had been just using a wide toothed comb before, and I keep using my Tangle Teezer now. I'm gonna try to use just the comb and see!

I use a tangle teezer and i havn't noticed it cause any frizz, i use it on my hair when it has dried in a turban for about 10mins and had a little coconut oil applied, then follow with a good scrunch.

CO was the big turning point in taming the frizz for me, but i know you said you already tried that

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Have you tried argon oil its good for the frizz my perm 2 yrs ago caused.

Laylah
May 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
What do you mean by frizz? Regular hairs that puff up or short hairs that stick up separate from the rest of your hair? If it's the former, any number of creams, oils, and moisture should help your hair lay flatter. If it's the latter, it's either new growth or damage (more likely new growth) and you'll just have to wait for it to grow out. After a major shed I had a lot of short new hairs coming in and a head full of frizz for a few months. Somethings that can help in the mean time are
- doing half ups with the front of your hair combed back to cover the frizz
- drying your hair with a bandana over the top (if you have trouble with volume, this is a bad idea)
- gel or serums on the individual frizzies to weigh them down