PDA

View Full Version : Bits of layers sticking out in plaits!

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 06:43 AM
My last haircut was back in December. I got some long layers put in - they looked great when my hair was down, but it's something I regret now as updos just look bad because of wispy bits sticking out of buns and plaits. Has anyone got any advice to prevent this? Maybe an oil or hair product that actually works stop the damn layers from poking out. Arrrgh so annoying. I've learned my lesson. No more layers again. Ever. :rolleyes:

Dragon
May 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I have no advice for buns but depending on how long your layers are, maybe plaiting to just above where the layers start instead of further down.

Mayflower
May 10th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Coconut oil helps me smooth out those darn layers that are sticking out of plaits. Also braiding when damp!

millyaulait
May 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Aloe gel works for me (coconut oil is too heavy for my rubbish hair!), otherwise embrace the chic messy updos! :D

Grillz
May 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have the saaaaaame problem. BUT at least messy is in style :)

Eirelin
May 10th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I tuck the little bits back in, often using a latch hook (especially on a crown braid) to reach through and pull it back in where it can't be seen. If you have never used one, this is what it looks like:

http://www.woolneedlework.com/images/Im%20Latchhook%20Kits/latchhook%20instructionsL.jpg

Sorry it is so big. Anyway, you just push the hook through, put the little piece through it, then flip that lever (or whatever it is called) up so that when you pull the hook back through, it doesn't catch any other hair. At least, it works for me.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I will give them a try :)

Totally didn't think about the latch hook idea, I used to use one of these to get rid of loops in synthetic dreadlocks back in the day!

bunzfan
May 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
When my layers were a real problem for braids a little oil and damp braiding worked wonders, i sympathise mine are now nearly gone after nearly 3 years of growing them out.

Carolyn
May 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Messy buns and braid are very trendy right now. Embrace the messiness! I used to whine that my buns and braids were way to neat to suit my liking. Now that I have a U shape hemline with layers on the bottom couple of inches, I can finally do messy styles without having to carefully pull out little bits of hair to create messiness. Aloe vera has never worked for me.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM
When my layers were a real problem for braids a little oil and damp braiding worked wonders, i sympathise mine are now nearly gone after nearly 3 years of growing them out.

Thank you! :) The shortest layers appear to be shoulder length, thankfully it's not too heavily layered but I still can't wait til they grow out.

Messy buns and braid are very trendy right now. Embrace the messiness! I used to whine that my buns and braids were way to neat to suit my liking. Now that I have a U shape hemline with layers on the bottom couple of inches, I can finally do messy styles without having to carefully pull out little bits of hair to create messiness. Aloe vera has never worked for me.

Lol! I'm quite cool with messy buns, I think they look great. But my messy plaits seem to just fall apart as my hair is quite fine. :o

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I'd say I would agree with dampening hair and braiding it.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'd say I would agree with dampening hair and braiding it.

Thank you, I try it and will hopefully have pics of lovely neat styles to show soon :p

Bagginslover
May 11th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I get this too, but mine don't look trendily-messy, the bits that poke out are chunks, not wisps! ;)

I do a variation of the latchhook idea-I just poke the bits through with my fingers! I have to re-poke them several times a day, but it works for me. I also find, when I to a dutch-frence braid, I have to put an elastic half way down the loose braid part, as well as at the end, as there is always a massive chunk that pokes out there. It doesn't do it on a regular french braid though.... my hair likes to keep me on my toes!

MonaMayfair
May 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I just poke them back in too! It's a pain, because I wear my hair in either one or two braids so often, but I wanted layers and I was prepared for the untidiness!