PDA

View Full Version : Long vs Short

BeccaAngel
May 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
This is just out of curiosity. Long hair versus Short hair, What are your Pros and Cons for both?

I know this site is mainly for growing hair out and hair care and what not... But I'm just wanting to know what other people think. :)

millyaulait
May 10th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I actually loved having short hair.

I pretty much only have pros for short hair, maybe the only con being that you can't do updos. :)

It's so easy (for me) to style, it dries quicker, it looks nice on me, it can take damage since it's trimmed so often.

However, even though there are few cons for short hair, I just LOVE long hair more.

I think the pros for long hair are that it's fun, it feels lovely, you can do so many things with it, it makes me feel more feminine.

I guess cons would be that it takes longer to dry, more care to stay healthy, can take less damage, etc.

I do love them both, really. But long hair is for me now! :)

afu
May 10th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Very short hair is easy to care for and very much wash and go (by very short, i mean very short pixie), no chance for split ends.. but you are limited to very few styles (if any other than one).

Long hair (BSL+...) takes longer to wash, dry etc and ends often need more attention. Use more product (unless to WO,SO..)...but you have more styles to choose from.

then there are the individual appearences of each which may or may not be to your taste.

For me the only length I wouldn't like to have (personally) is anywhere in between those lengths, as they can be harder to style and i don't suit them

Charybdis
May 10th, 2012, 04:51 AM
My hair is easier to manage on a daily basis with really short pixie cuts, and when it's past shoulder. Everything between pixie and SL is kind of a PITA in terms of the styling (blow-driers, curling irons) required. Chin length looks good, but the daily styling required is very tiresome.

Unfortunately, the pixie cut looks good with my face only when I'm very, very thin because my face is the first place on my body that any weight gain shows. Also, I have to get a haircut about every 5 weeks to actually maintain the style. At this point in my life, I don't think maintaining at a very, very thin body size is realistic, and I'm sick of spending nearly one weekend afternoon a month at the hairdresser's, so long hair it is!

Neneka
May 10th, 2012, 05:16 AM
My sleek and straight hair was all "wash and go" when it was pixie. I combed it more because of a habit than actual need. It dried super fast. It was cool in a summer. I didn't usually style it any way but I didn't feel too bad about using hair powder or mousse occasionally. It was extremely healthy and felt never dry. The cons were that it was short and I anxiously wanted it to be longer.

And about bob length hair, mainly about short bob... It's still short but it's different than a pixie so there is different pros and cons. It still dries fast. It's quite easy to dye. Can't think about more now... The cons are that bob length hair would need some protection but it really can't be put up. I tangles during the night and there is not much that you can do about it. It gets on my face too. (Now my hair isn't really a bob anymore but it isn't shoulder length either and I can put it up. It's now easier to manage.)

Long hair... Or BSL hair. It can be put up in many different ways. It can be protected easier. It's long! (I count BSL long) I can use hair sticks and all the pretties if it's long. The cons are that wearing it down is more difficult because it gets on my way (and strands get stuck on lip gloss. Yuck..). It also needs a lot of conditioner. It takes longer to dry. It's more fragile than short hair.

embee
May 10th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Short hair was ok for me when I was younger but as my face aged it became less attractive. Also the salon/barber visits were so frequent and expensive. (My hair is fine, thin, and straight - any growth was uneven and looked shaggy and unkempt.) Short hair required washing my hair every day or it looked greasy.

Chin-to-shoulder is attractive, but my hair only has one style at that length and I get tired of it. Also, washing/salon routine is the same as for short hair.

This long hair (WL and longer) is great - It takes no time to style, no salon expense, no products (I'm WO or SO) and seems to look ok every day. Plus it feels feminine and long hair has been a lifetime desire of mine. I've not been to a salon in over 20 years.

morrigan*
May 10th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I never have pixie, shortest my hair been was around shoulder length and it was a lot harder to manage, because my hair curls up and i look like a puddle, when was a bit longer (collarbone length) and i put some layers in i need to wash it at least every other day and leave it to air dry so i had nicely defined curls, and it took long to air dry, because i mustn't even tap it towel so it was dripping for first hour.
Since i lost quiet a lot of weight in last 4 years my face became much more defined, including my jaw bone, my face looks like square, while it was more round when i was young so long hair with some face framing layers looks best on me (like Angelina Joile hair)
Another plus for long hair is that it takes far less time than short hair, i wash it once or twice a week, leave it to dry and that's it.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Short hair:

+ Easier and quicker to wash, dry, comb, and style
+ Don't have to use so much hair dye
+ Pretty much always in good condition because it keeps getting cut as it grows

- No updos
- Limited in styles
- Had to be washed more often as I couldn't just tie it up when I couldn't be bothered
- Needs regular cuts for maintenance

Long hair:

+ Lots of ways to style, updos, etc
+ Can just tie it up out of the way on lazy days
+ Looks beautiful and feminine

- Takes longer to wash and dry
- Requires more care
- I need to use 2 boxes of hair dye to cover it all
- Split ends more frequent
- Tangles more

^^^ In my experience, anyway!

bumblebums
May 10th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Short hair looks good on me, so that's one plus.

But, when I had a pixie, I had to put styling products on my hair every day--otherwise it would puff out in a frizzy ball. I also had to wash it daily, because once I had slept on it, it would stand up in this ridiculous mohawk.

Another minus to short hair is that unless you have a stylist who is really good, s/he can rarely achieve the same cut twice. Whenever I've found such a stylist, either s/he or I would end up moving away to a different city within six months.

The expense of styling and cutting short hair is another minus.

None of these problems arise for long hair, which is why I have long hair now.

Laur
May 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Short hair for me isn't that short - I've never worn my hair shorter than a chin length bob. For me though, short hair is more stylish, and also requires more styling. Long hair requires more conscious care, but is generally easier to take care of and style.

longNred
May 10th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I've never had a pixie cut per se, but I've had it above my shoulders a few times... Personally, I thought short hair was WAY more work. I had to actually take the time to style it. I had to use more product because I had to style it. I had to wash it alot because I had to use product because I had to style it daily. I had to use heat to style it properly. It was a ridiculous amount of time, effort & money for me.

Long hair really doesn't require all that much. I wash it a couple times a week, I stick it up in a bun, or a quick braid, or leave it be, and it's fine. it's just natural and flowy and looks nice when left to air dry.

It does take more hair dye, however, I switched to henna to solve that problem. I've done one full head application, and now just do roots and/or light glosses. So it's actually less expensive to dye my hair.

The only real con to the long hair, for me, is the fact that my shower drain gets clogged, more often than not.

Mesmerise
May 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I kinda like just rubbing a towel over short hair to dry it :). Uhm... what else... errm I never felt bad about thin hair when it was short, or worried about shedding!!! Oh, and I could do something like bleach my hair without worrying too much about damage :D.

The cons of short hair... well all the rest! I know I look nicer with long hair (and I've been told that on several occasions) and feeling prettier is nice! But yeah, I just love long hair!

XcaliburGirl
May 10th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I liked that it is easy to wash and quick to dry, generally stays out of the way, I can lay back in a seat without bumping into hair accessories. The biggest con for me was having to get it trimmed all the time. Also, I had to pay a little more attention to what it was doing every day. I never really understood the concept of a "bad hair day" until I cut my hair too short for a ponytail.

My main pros to long hair are updos and going without trims.

terpentyna
May 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Short hair (I'm thinking pixie):
+easier to wash and dry
+out of the way
- limited options, has to be styled if you want to look put together
- maintenance ($$$!)
- hair is everywhere

long hair:
+ easy to get out of the way and forget about
+ more options for styling
+ hair is trapped in hair or by a brush
- takes longer to wash and dry, needs to be brushed
ETA: + it's free.

holothuroidea
May 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Short hair for me is wash and go. Now that I'm approaching shoulder length that is no longer the case, there is brushing and rewetting required for it to look decent.

I personally think that short hair is more flattering on me, and I like the wispy waves I get at shorter lengths.

The biggest con to short hair is the hair cuts. You have to get them often and they sometimes are not that great.

I honestly don't know what the pros to long hair are. I'm not a big fan of up-dos and the last time it was long it was really sad and a PITA to wash and detangle.

Madora
May 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Short hair + easier to shampoo, rinse out
- can't create beautiful updos
- can be costly if you need a stylist to keep it tidy

Long hair + very versatile to style
+ saves money since you don't need to rely on salons
- longer washing/rinsing time

Babyfine
May 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Pixies don't look good on me so I won't get one no matter what-but I do like shoulder swinging bobs on me.
Short:

Looks thicker,no thin ends
easier to wash and dry
can color or heat style without worry of damage
can have layers or fringe without thinning my hair out

Long:

Can do so much more with it
Can wear braids and updo's that I always wanted to.
Have gotten more comments and even compliments as long hair is
rare in this area especially on women over 40

ravenreed
May 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Short Hair:
+ Can do anything to it, no worries about damage down the road. My short hair was nearly indestructible.
+ Can wash (everyday) and go. Fast drying time.
+ Lightweight, cool in the summer.
ETA: + Volume! My hair had so much body.
- Less styling options.
- Can be harder to style without some sort of heat styling.

Long Hair:
+ Endless styles available.
+ Easy updos take 5 minutes or less.
ETA: - No volume at all. My hair is flat, flat, flat. My scalp cleavage is a constant problem.
- Complicated updos take forever.
- Gets caught everywhere. (!)
- Heavy.
- 5+ hours of drying time. Washing takes forever too.
- Ends are a lot more delicate and finicky and take special handling.

Jing
May 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I've had very short hair, so I'll use that for my comparison. 1/4-1/2 inch hair is extremely low maintenance, does not require any styling, takes five seconds to wash, will look about the same no matter what you wash it with (so no need to spend any time thinking about what to buy), does not require any S&D, will be so to speak "replaced" with fresh new hair before any damage becomes visible no matter what you do to it, and can be easily maintained length-wise without any help. Ye gods that was lovely. On the downside, you get a lot of stares as a woman with that hair length, which gets annoying, and you can't change it up in any way except dye.

Long hair allows for variation in both style and colour, which is so much more fun. You also get to show off your shininess and softness a lot more. :p Higher maintenance in every way except that you don't have to trim nearly as often, of course, but personally I enjoy doing DTs and experimenting with new washing and conditioning products.

Basically long hair is for the peacock in you and super short hair is for the lover of convenience.

Amber_Maiden
May 10th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Short hair-
-Easier to comb and wash
- Never has splits because of trims. Usually always looks healthy.
- No updos
- Limited styles
- Needs regular cuts to keep shape

Long hair-
- Many ways to style it
- Can just tie it up
- Feminine
- Takes longer to wash and dry
- Requires more care
- Needs more product- like conditioner
- Split ends/damage does happen
- Tangles more easily

WaitingSoLong
May 10th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I will try not to reitterate what has already been said and add a few I don't think have been mentioned.

On me, long hair makes me look younger. Add 10+ years instantly if I cut my hair to shoulder or above. Not sure why.

Short hair styles (not all one length or bob) take forever to grow out if you ever decide you want it long, having to keep getting trims just to make it look right.

Short hair brings out the worst of my cowlicks. Totally unruly wonky hair.

I can't stand the feel of sweaty hair on my neck so being able to put it up and out of the way is a HUGE pro for me for long hair (and one main reason I never sport fringe. Besides it makes me look like a different person and doesn't suit me at all).

Past Classic long hair is "uncharted terriotory" for me so I feel like I am exploring a part of myself I haven't yet.

Long hair can be inconventient when it comes to camping or travelling or situations where you find yourself unprepared to deal with your hair (stranded on the side of the road, stuck at the airport overnight from a flight cancellation, etc.) Granted, that hardly ever happens, but I find it a challenge to care for my hair when I am at camp (can't pack a lot of stuff and camp water is horrid on my hair, plus always out int he elements and sweaty, dirtier than usual, etc.) Ya know that saying about if you were stranded on a deserted island? I would bring scissors. WHACK. My hair would be the first to go.

Having to use certain products for your hair and just when you found what works they discontinue it and you go into a months-long-crisis until you find a replacement product that works. It just wasn't as crucial with short hair. Tangles were a non-issue and who cares if it gets damaged, it will all be trimmed off as others have said.

Just the coolness of being able to cover my nakedness with my hair (when I am naked) is kinda neat ;) That one Alanis Morissette video comes to mind.

People wanting to touch your hair without asking first. >>>shudder<<< I suppose this could happen at any length, though, but never happened to me until waist+.

Making one regretted decision with long hair takes years to grow out (like sun-in...sigh).

Sitting on your hair is not all it is cracked up to be.

Oh, and not being able to go to bed without doing SOMETHING with my hair first.

GenLove86
May 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Short hair for me was nice. It had more volume and style and flow. Less tangles. Everyone told me I looked like an anime character! It's limited though in other ways. I do love my long hair! I can do more with long hair.. I can even make it look short if I wanted to! I get more compliments when it's baraided and it looks sexy and flowy when it's down and blown out. I get more tangles and it's harder to maintaine though. That's ok it's worth it!

lapushka
May 10th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Back when I had short hair (shorter or around chin length), I had problems with cowlicks, hair sticking out, sticking every which way. It needed frequent styling. It needed more frequent washing, thus even more styling. No choice but to wash or wet down and style on really bad hair days.

Longer hair is a little more plain. It's easier. No styling, or practically none to speak of. Washes can be stretched (somewhat). Updos are a Godsend, and so easy on bad hair days.

Snippety
May 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I don't really do a routine or any hair styling at all so even stevens there really. Mine would be:

Short (I had a shaved head):

Good points:
Could just wash it in the shower / bath with shower gel and it dried instantly.
No combing at all
Looked really androgynous which I loved;it reflected the inner me.
I felt like it matched my tattoos and piercings better

Bad points:
I could never clipper it evenly so had a monthly trip to the barbers (time and cost were the disadvantage here, I actually rather enjoyed the experience)
It looked rubbish with hats, and I do love to wear hats
Everyone made assumptions about my diet (vegan) my sexuality (gay) and my politics (radical) none of which were true.

Long Hair (I'm just past classic and have been a little longer)

Good points:
I enjoy the freakshow nature of very long hair. I don't like looking "normal"
I think it looks better now I'm older and a bit fatter and my hair is greying.
Errr there must be more but I've gone blank !:p
My husband and son like it ?

Bad Points:
Takes a long time to wash and dry.
I worry that people think I'm a hippy, earth mother girly type when I'm so not.
My plait gets caught in drawers, doors, the bin lid, buttons, zips, &c

Lol I'm giving up doing this before I talk myself into shaving it off. I had an excellent dream this morning in which I had an amazing mohawk hair do and I'm sorely tempted ! ;)

bumblebums
May 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Oh, I thought of another one that's a minus for both short and long hair: my mother criticizes it no matter what length it is :)

Neneka
May 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM
WaitingSoLong, yes, cowlicks. Another con of short hair.