PDA

View Full Version : Vidal Sassoon, 1928 - 2012.

pepperminttea
May 10th, 2012, 02:01 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18008302

His short cuts might not be popular round here, but he certainly made his mark on hairdressing. Rest in peace.

Merlin
May 10th, 2012, 02:04 AM
He did an interview in (I think) The Observer a while back in which he said that while California was nice he really liked London as he could get to watch far more top-class football there!

No interest in football myself, but you have to like somebody that successful who is that genuine!

bunzfan
May 10th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Oh that's so sad, i have to say as a young trainee hairdresser he really inspired me with his precision haircuts . I saw him being interviewed on tv last year and him came across as a view genuine and nice guy.

Charybdis
May 10th, 2012, 02:14 AM
He was truly a self-made man who built an empire from nothing. While he wasn't into long hair, he did promote a more natural aesthetic with movable, touchable hair. (And looking at pictures of my mother's bouffant hair from the early 1960s, all I can say is, "Thank you, Mr. Sassoon!") The movement towards more naturalistic hairstyles generally also helped make natural long hair seem more mainstream, I think. Definitely an interesting guy.

pepperminttea
May 10th, 2012, 06:45 AM
I saw him being interviewed on tv last year and him came across as a view genuine and nice guy.

I think I saw the same interview, he did seem pleasantly unchanged by decades of fame. :) (And it's always nice to see someone who is famous for having worked hard and achieved something in their field, rather than for the parties they attend.)

While he wasn't into long hair, he did promote a more natural aesthetic with movable, touchable hair. (And looking at pictures of my mother's bouffant hair from the early 1960s, all I can say is, "Thank you, Mr. Sassoon!") The movement towards more naturalistic hairstyles generally also helped make natural long hair seem more mainstream, I think. Definitely an interesting guy.

Agreed, I really like how he focused on the movement of the hair, and how it fell without being 'set'.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Very talented and creative man who definitely revolutionised the industry, RIP Viddy!

Micayla47
May 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Gone but not forgotten! :blossom::rip:

GlassWidow
May 10th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I heard about that last night, but you beat me to posting! :)

He was geniune and likeable, and definitely made a huge impact on modern haircare. Gone but not forgotten is right.