PDA

View Full Version : I hate the top layer of my hair

Nilyenea
May 9th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Okay so I just took some pic's of my hair. I noticed that the top layer of my hair is pretty much straight and frizzy looking. But, when I lift up that layer the under layer has loose corkscrew curls and waves. Anyone else have this problem? If so how do you fix the top layer of your hair? these are some pic's of my hair, one is of tonight where I pulled the top layer up so the underneath can be seen. http://photobucket.com/yorkielover The ones with me in the green shirt are after I did an SMT and let my hair air dry, didn't comb it out or anything. I'm so frustrated with that section of my hair. Could it be because it's constantly pulled back that it's so straight? Should I change my hair type?

amanda_the_tall
May 9th, 2012, 09:08 PM
mine does the same thing, i don't really have any suggestions though, sorry :(

GracieRae
May 9th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Aww I think your hair is beautiful. I happen to have the opposite problem. Wavy on top and straight underneath. I've been using this leave in conditioner by Alba that has really helped with the frizzies. I think it's common to have curlier/straighter hair on the canopy. I don't think you can change that. I think it's so pretty as is :)

soniqui
May 9th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I have exactly this problem and hated it for years. Then my hairdresser cut layers into my hair and it is so much better. It allows the curls below to be seen without the top layer sitting over them and making me look like a pyramid head. My shortest layer is chin length and my longest is BSL. I wear my hair back a lot too, but I don't think that's the problem, it's just how my hair is. I'm 2 types in one. You can either pin the top layer up more in half-up styles or curl the top layer by your preferred method.

UltraBella
May 10th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I have the same issue but mine is way worse than yours ! The crown area of my hair is rediculous. It's totally different from the pretty waves I have every where else. It's a frizzy, kinky mess. I just use my Caruso Mollecular Hairsetter to smooth it out otherwise it drives me nuts.

Niphredil
May 10th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Yep, my hair does that too, and always has.

Back in the late eighties I wanted a bob like my straighthaired classmates and voilla, pyramid hair. I do need some sort of layering to keep it looking decent, especially when it is above waist.

I am thinking to get a curling iron to just touch-up the canopy when I want to wear it down. Straighting does not work, only creates a frizzy mess.

Know you are not alone!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/th_050113hairtype2.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Niphredil_82/Haar/?action=view&current=050113hairtype2.jpg)
Here is an old pic (2005) showing my canopy and underneath layers. It is a bit blurry (very old camera, <1mp) but you can still see the difference.

afu
May 10th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I get this too, I've come to the conclusion that it's due to the top layer losing moisture a lot faster than the bottom layer. If you think about it the top layer is trapping a lot of moisture into the bottom part causing it to dry more slowly, while the top part dries much faster after a wash.

For me what has helped is mixing up a half and half mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut oil and applying as a leave in, it works well on dry hair too if you don't put enough on initially. I also try to slow down the initial airdrying of the top part by scrunching my hair into a bun and securing for about 10mins before letting it down to dry properly.

Hope this helps :)

Kiwiwi
May 10th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Also, do you sleep on a satin pillow case?
It has helped me with this problem a bit. Also sleeping with 2 pigtail braids.