PDA

View Full Version : less hairloss :-)

boukje
July 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hello fellow LHC (ladies)

I just have a question, I use to get hormones (IUD) for birthcontrol and I got it taken out the 21st of June, and I must say I used to lose about 20-50 hairs a day.

Now (this happened about end of june) I haven't lost so much hairs. Maximum of 8 in a day, most days only about 5 hairs shedding.

So could it be possible that not having the intake of hormones decreases hair shedding? Has any of you also experienced something femiliar?

Thank you so much in advance.

Helen.

jojo
July 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I haven't had this experience but my only thoughts as to why this has happened is due to the high progesterone in contraceptives, which incidentally we produce more of when pregnant to prevent another pregnancy occurring.

This is why many women when pregnant express having thicker, faster growing hair yet have excess shedding after the pregnancy due to dramatic decrease in progesterone production.

Dont think it would cause increased growth, but less shedding is a very welcome side effect!

Riot Crrl
July 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I haven't had this experience but my only thoughts as to why this has happened is due to the high progesterone in contraceptives, which incidentally we produce more of when pregnant to prevent another pregnancy occurring.

This is why many women when pregnant express having thicker, faster growing hair yet have excess shedding after the pregnancy due to dramatic decrease in progesterone production.

Dont think it would cause increased growth, but less shedding is a very welcome side effect!

True, but the OP said she had her progesterone IUD removed in June?

I would expect the opposite effect if anything. If falling progesterone is going to have an effect on hair loss, it's usually creating a shed, not stopping one.

jojo
July 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Ah sorry I must have missed that bit (just worked 3 nights!) yes i would too expect the opposite unless her body has not fully adjusted, it can take 12 months for hormone levels to get to normal, so maybe there is still elevated amounts of progesterone knocking about.

boukje how have your periods been since getting it removed? any difference? or have you noticed any difference with your skin, more spots than usual?

boukje
July 29th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ah sorry I must have missed that bit (just worked 3 nights!) yes i would too expect the opposite unless her body has not fully adjusted, it can take 12 months for hormone levels to get to normal, so maybe there is still elevated amounts of progesterone knocking about.

boukje how have your periods been since getting it removed? any difference? or have you noticed any difference with your skin, more spots than usual?

First of all thank you so much for the replies. The IUD I had prevented me from getting periods, so I didn't have one in over 3 years (the hormones in this IUD did this).

When it came out I got a period after 3 days, and the bleeding was 11 days (not much but still very annoying) I can remember before I got the IUD I got about 5 days of menses, so I am hoping to go back to that. I had a long period because I just got another one again (so 38days), and ofcourse I cannot tell how this one will be.

I had loads of spots the last 3 months I had the IUD and I wasn't feeling well either. Once it came out I have the incidental spot here and there (which I think is still quite normal for a 22 year old) but nothing more. So nothing really changed I guess.

The IUD het levenorganostel (or something like that) in it, and I got it for 3 years. I hope the decrease in shedding stays and that I don't shed massive in a few months from now. I thought maybe my body will be healthier without those hormones and perhaps I just loose less hair if I don't use unnatural stuff.

Ranee
July 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
I can't imagine taking hormones for birthconrtol on a daily basis is good for ones body. However I've been taking it since I was sixteen, now I'm contemplating another type of birthconrtol that doesn't involve hormones. I'm hoping for less shedding as well!

Shanarana
July 29th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hello fellow LHC (ladies)

I just have a question, I use to get hormones (IUD) for birthcontrol and I got it taken out the 21st of June, and I must say I used to lose about 20-50 hairs a day.

Now (this happened about end of june) I haven't lost so much hairs. Maximum of 8 in a day, most days only about 5 hairs shedding.

So could it be possible that not having the intake of hormones decreases hair shedding? Has any of you also experienced something femiliar?

Thank you so much in advance.

Helen.

Losing that much with hormones or without them is not that bad, and now only losing 5? WOW, I'd say your one of the lucky few. :)

jojo
July 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
First of all thank you so much for the replies. The IUD I had prevented me from getting periods, so I didn't have one in over 3 years (the hormones in this IUD did this).

When it came out I got a period after 3 days, and the bleeding was 11 days (not much but still very annoying) I can remember before I got the IUD I got about 5 days of menses, so I am hoping to go back to that. I had a long period because I just got another one again (so 38days), and ofcourse I cannot tell how this one will be.

I had loads of spots the last 3 months I had the IUD and I wasn't feeling well either. Once it came out I have the incidental spot here and there (which I think is still quite normal for a 22 year old) but nothing more. So nothing really changed I guess.

The IUD het levenorganostel (or something like that) in it, and I got it for 3 years. I hope the decrease in shedding stays and that I don't shed massive in a few months from now. I thought maybe my body will be healthier without those hormones and perhaps I just loose less hair if I don't use unnatural stuff.

I do think it is the progesterone, it can cause spots i got loads when i was pregnant and you are still very young so spots are normal. It does take time for your body to adjust to a sudden drop in hormones anything up to 12 months is normal.

I think you are doing the correct thing by having a break. Try taking a multi vit each day one with iron would be excellent. It will soon get better. x x x

boukje
July 29th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I do think it is the progesterone, it can cause spots i got loads when i was pregnant and you are still very young so spots are normal. It does take time for your body to adjust to a sudden drop in hormones anything up to 12 months is normal.

I think you are doing the correct thing by having a break. Try taking a multi vit each day one with iron would be excellent. It will soon get better. x x x

thank you so much JOJO. I really hope my hair stays like this it looks nicer too (a bit more greasy) but in general I feel so much better.

I am so happy I did this (a bit off topic, I will never ever use birthcontrol with hormones ever again).

I will keep you updated on my progress. :flowers:

BeatlesFanGirl
July 31st, 2008, 07:44 AM
I experience the same since I STARTED to take birth control pills, 3 moths ago. I used to shed 30 a day, now around 10. (Not including the hair-wash shed) But, I also went SLS-free shampooing and started to use a good scalp spray, so these might cause the good effect as well. I dunno. But, losing 40-50 individual hair a day is still normal.

girlcat36
July 31st, 2008, 08:02 AM
It was recommended to me that I have a Mirena IUD placed; not for birth control, but to reduce heavy menstrual bleeding(I am anemic). Honestly, I chose not to have the Mirena because I was afraid of hairloss--I have suffered with ALOT of hairloss in the past(even bfore chemo and radiation). I will have endometrial ablation instead.

The doctors always say that the hormones in the pill and the IUD do not cause hairloss, but I just don't believe it!

sipnsun
July 31st, 2008, 08:09 AM
I had the opposite thing happen, when I got off birth control, my hair started shedding and thinning out. I can't go back on them though because they give me bad headaches.