PDA

View Full Version : Most annoying growth stage?

mzBANGBANG
May 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Perhaps I am biased, since I'm BSL, but this has to be the most annoying stage of growing your hair EVER!

It's everywhere, and nowhere I want it to be, and always miles from waist. Right now it's doing some weird curl thing, sitting on top of my chest looking like it's going to attack my face. Everyday I think when it's longer, it will be easier to manage, it will fall flat, it will be easier to tuck away... I think for me APL was the most manageable stage. It was long enough to pull back and short enough to stay looking groomed, when curled or straight.

What is/was your most annoying stage when growing out your hair? Bonus points for awkward pictures.

NymphSpirit
May 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hahahah for me it's anything shorter or equal to shoulder :B People say wavy hair doesn't bounce up, YEAH, RIGHT! I remember looking like a sheep most of the time!! And also there were the splits, it seemed like each time I'd cut one, ten more would appear, ugh.

Laylah
May 9th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I've never had hair shorter than collarbone or longer than just past tailbone (where I am now). For me the most awkward stage was between APL and BSL. This is the part of my back where it curves out instead of in and I have thick big wurly/curly hair. Combine the two and you get hair that's wider than me! When my hair got past BSL and nearing waist, where my back starts to curve in, my hair lay more flat. Collarbone was pretty awkward too, since my hair wasn't weighted down yet and it gave me an awful triangle head. Pretty much past waist everything's been fine.

Bellatrix
May 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'm in my awkward stage right now, actually. It's not long enough to tie back and just long enough to stick straight up in strange angles. Around 4 inches for me.

battles
May 9th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Right when it was brushing shoulder. Barely long enough to tie back and hairs poking into my shoulders all the time.

JellyBene
May 9th, 2012, 08:05 PM
For me it was right past chin.... oh dear hahaha I dislike short hair on me...

BrunetteElf
May 9th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Probably the length I'm at now, mid back length, so close to waist yet so far! D::(

arcane
May 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
For me, it's from shoulder to bsl, my hair just doesn't want to behave nicely. Above shoulder I don't mind heat styling as would have been regulairly cutting my hair, after BSL I esily do some messy buns/get my hair up and out of the way if it bothers me. Between (where I am right now, ugh) it just drives me nuts, and imo does not look good on me.

ladylowtide
May 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM
APL with half of my hair in chin length or shorter layers was the worst. You wear it down, or down in your face, or down poking you in the eyeball, or you ponytail like 3 hairs in the back while the rest is down and getting in your facial orifices.

I am so glad my layers are all shoulder at the shortest now.

jacqueline101
May 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Where mine is now nearing bra strap but not there yet. Its in between the two lengths and when it curls up tight its even shorter.

Tabihito
May 9th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Chin-length. Wavy and short do not get along well. At all. Pixie didn't look good on me, but it was at least easy to take care of. Chin to collarbone was just horrendous.

tiarefleur
May 9th, 2012, 10:14 PM
APL for me! My curls aren't weighted down nearly as much as I want them to be so it makes styling really difficult! The poofiness drives me insane :justy:

Dragon Faery
May 9th, 2012, 10:21 PM
The shorter the more annoying, for me! I've never been happy with my hair at anything shorter than waist, but for each inch shorter than waist it happens to be, it's ten times more annoying!

The most incriminating pictures I have are from when I joined...
POOF!!!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8613&pictureid=115724

Awkward layers due to damage
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8613&pictureid=115726

More poofiness
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8613&pictureid=115725

And thanks to my unfinished bathroom for its guest background appearance ;)

mzBANGBANG
May 9th, 2012, 10:25 PM
The shorter the more annoying, for me! I've never been happy with my hair at anything shorter than waist, but for each inch shorter than waist it happens to be, it's ten times more annoying!

Annnd we've got bonus points! Even though we have totally different hair types, I think most of us have experienced the awkward short layers on top thanks to whatever damage we did. I can't remember a time in my life when I wasn't growing out front layers from highlights!

It seriously weird how longer hair is less annoying. I always thought shorter would be easier to take care of. Then again, I'm kind of on a biased site ;)

KrissyKitty
May 9th, 2012, 10:50 PM
A picture is worth 1,000 words....

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yVNexDjkduI/T6tIAu66aeI/AAAAAAAABNQ/o-qtXpc747Y/s640/P1010080.JPG

And I'm not fond of it's current length either, which is just brushing the tops of my traps. For me, past APL was much easier.

mzBANGBANG
May 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM

That's actually really hot! You've got a face for all types of hairstyles, even "awkward" ones!

SoulOfTheSea
May 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM
I thought mid-back length was pretty annoying, because it took FOREVER to grow out. I just wanted to have my hair at waist already, because that's where I consider long hair to start.

KrissyKitty
May 9th, 2012, 11:17 PM
That's actually really hot! You've got a face for all types of hairstyles, even "awkward" ones!

Thank you! I can't believe that you think my hair sticking straight up is hot, but I'll definitely take the compliment! :D

AnqeIicDemise
May 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Mine was during the mulletish stage of growing out a pixie just before it was long enough to tie. During the summer months it was the worst: I had hair every where, all over my face and nape without a way of keeping cool. Hated it. So.. bad.

Arashi
May 9th, 2012, 11:24 PM
It's funny because I'd have to say the exact opposite. APL has been by far the most awkward length for me. The length when it wants to look like it's eating my head. :mad: Any time I wanted to wear it down, I'd at least have to do a half-up or there would be far too much hair around my face.

But at BSL, it seems so much more manageable for me! I can wear it completely down without it looking awkward.

oktobergoud
May 9th, 2012, 11:25 PM
I honestly don't really get how people would find BSL annoying or awkward?? I mean, have you ever tried to grow out a pixie? :P I can assure you that anything from pixie to.. shoulder maybe, or longer even?? Is going to be awkward! My hair is now a little past chin length and even though I can't put it up yet or anything, I don't find it awkward anymore, but only because I got it cut and it now has a style. But all my hair before it was chin length? Very awkward! When my hair grows out it will probably get very awkward again haha, oh well! Doesn't help I have annoying waves that makes it look even shorter :P

Right now it is annoying though because the back is shorter than the front and I can't make a proper ponystub or anything.

I could go on and on ;) :P

Haha I feel you! When I had a pixie it always looked like that when I woke up.. ugh, it was horrible! I genuinely think short hair is more work than long hair. (Long hair in my eyes being APL/BSl, I have no experience with what people on LHC would consider long hair! :P) I mean, it both has it pros and cons obviously, but still... I don't miss waking up with a rat's nest at all! :P

BeckyAH
May 9th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I honestly don't really get how people would find BSL annoying or awkward?? I mean, have you ever tried to grow out a pixie? :P I can assure you that anything from pixie to.. shoulder maybe, or longer even?? Is going to be awkward! My hair is now a little past chin length and even though I can't put it up yet or anything, I don't find it awkward anymore, but only because I got it cut and it now has a style. But all my hair before it was chin length? Very awkward! When my hair grows out it will probably get very awkward again haha, oh well! Doesn't help I have annoying waves that makes it look even shorter :P

Right now it is annoying though because the back is shorter than the front and I can't make a proper ponystub or anything.

I could go on and on ;) :P

The problem with BSL for me is that it's a LOT of hair - but not enough to stay behind my shoulders, and still too short (because of thickness) to stay up well -at least in ways that keep all my hair up (buns, etc). Things that work (braids, ponytails, peaccock twists) just give me hair that gets in my face and stays on my neck. It's also heavy enough to make updos I can do make my head sore.

I just. Don't like that length.

ETA: I have grown out pixies. I never found them annoying - but I always kept them cropped at the back/nape of my neck until the top layer grew out, then just grew straight down from there. Looked horrible ON me, but didn't drive me batty since nothing was sticking to me/in my face (I have bangs).

mzBANGBANG
May 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I honestly don't really get how people would find BSL annoying or awkward?? I mean, have you ever tried to grow out a pixie? :P I can assure you that anything from pixie to.. shoulder maybe, or longer even?? Is going to be awkward!

I have grown from a shaved head! While I appreciate the length of my hair now, some of my cutest hairstyles were from growing that out :) Maybe I should re-evaluate... *never going to happen*

The problem with BSL for me is that it's a LOT of hair - but not enough to stay behind my shoulders, and still too short (because of thickness) to stay up well -at least in ways that keep all my hair up (buns, etc). Things that work (braids, ponytails, peaccock twists) just give me hair that gets in my face and stays on my neck. It's also heavy enough to make updos I can do make my head sore.

I just. Don't like that length.

This, exactly! It's such a fussy length, no matter what you do it's a struggle to get it to look good. Just seems like the necessary evil between shoulder and waist.

millyaulait
May 10th, 2012, 12:39 AM
SL/Shorter to APL, because it's the longest journey for me!

I want my hair to be long already! :-\

Louise148
May 10th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I am currently gorwing out a pixie so I know where oktobergoud is coming from. Mine is currently about 3 inches all over. Although I had my stylist trim the back to stop the emerging mullet in it's tracks but I am now almost into bowl cut territory.

I can't wait for chin length hair so I can get a nice sleek bob cut. But my hair doesn't grow particularly fast so I'm in for a wait of about 6-8 months for that. In the meantime thank goodness for ears, clips and hairbands. :D

pretty wings
May 10th, 2012, 02:24 AM
APL! I'm grow toward APL now and it is taking forever plus it isn't long yet. My hair looks weird with the natural layers because the back touches my shoulders but the front only comes to my chin. It looks really weird and makes the sides appear thin and like I hacked a bunch of hair off my head. Can't wait to get to BSL!

rock007junkie
May 10th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I had two chin to shoulder was just weird. The options of what to do with my hair at this stage were very limited. Right now midback-waist is just annoying because it seems to take forever

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
My most annoying growth stage was this:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/april2010.jpg

I was growing out a pixie cut. You don't know the meaning of annoying until you've tried to grow out a pixie cut, lol.

Neneka
May 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Yes, growing out a pixie cut is absolutely the most horrible growth stage!

cremenoir
May 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM
chin to shoulder was the worst for me! i have wavy hair that's manageable at pixie length but once it hit chin it was long enough to be flippy and weird but not long enough to be properly wavy; also not long enough to put up so i at least wouldn't have to look at it lol.

cremenoir
May 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM
My most annoying growth stage was this:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y163/madamedysmorphic/hair/april2010.jpg

I was growing out a pixie cut. You don't know the meaning of annoying until you've tried to grow out a pixie cut, lol.

faellen, that's exactly the phase i was talking about! that shagged-out chin-length post-pixie is the worst haha i don't miss it that's for sure!

thirstylocks
May 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Shoulder to APL because half my hair is past shoulder, the other half is layered to my chin, and i look like a poof ball with the most awkward layers. FML.

faellen
May 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
faellen, that's exactly the phase i was talking about! that shagged-out chin-length post-pixie is the worst haha i don't miss it that's for sure!

Haha same here, definitely would not go back to that! The pixie cut itself was really cute but the "shagged-out chin-length post-pixie" just wasn't worth it! (Lol, love that phrase :D)

Jing
May 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Just shy of shoulder length to where I am now was terribly annoying. At first, my bangs were too long to tuck behind my ears, and it felt long enough for my ends to need protection but was too short to even get half of it into a pony tail. All I could to to get it out of my way was a bunch of French/Dutch braids, but most of my hair grows forward, so I had to pull against it's direction of growth to do that. Then all I could to was keep it up with a claw clip. I only recently managed to get it to (mostly) stay in a French twist. I don't get how my hair can be so slippery even when it's crunchy from too much protein, which is another issue I only recently managed to solve. I can now do a French twist held in place with a spin pin, so I'm laughing manically to myself at random intervals.

Carissamarie08
May 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Yes! The BSL to waist stage is the worst! My hair seems so ugly right now!

MasCat
May 10th, 2012, 04:19 PM
NOW - because it is still too short and I am afraid it stopped growing (I'm hip-ish)

palaeoqueen
May 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
For me anything above shoulder, my hair is so fine, wavy and voluminous that it just goes crazy when left to it's own devices and I look like some sort of deranged half-woman half-lion creature. It's never been longer than APL but I honestly can't imagine it being worse than when it's above shoulder.

The absolute worst is when I had it cut into a long-ish pixie when I was about 14. It looked quite cute when my hair was sopping wet and therefore dead straight but when it was dry.... oh god, you've never seen anything like it, I looked like a mushroom. This was before I realised that I actually have wavy hair (it took me a long time to realise that actually, it was poker straight until puberty hit) AND it was before the days of hair straighteners so I couldn't even rescue it by straightening the crap out of it. Funnily enough I don't really remember growing it out, I think I had the back trimmed until I could grow it out into a bob though.

It obviously varies depending on hair type doesn't it? I suspect that a lot of fine voluminous wavies like myself will vote for the shorter lengths being the most annoying due to the lion/wild-woman effect that results.

<3OnHerSleeve
May 10th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I've grown out hair from being shaved... After I shaved it, I didn't have any trims for 2-3 years so it wasn't cut to any particular shape or style.

But as much as I hated having had my hair growing from a shave, there are so many mini-milestones that make you feel that your hair has grown from one length to another fast. When you can first put a hair clip in, first put your hair up, reaches your neck, collarbone, APL...

The most annoying growth length for me is BSL (although growing from APL-BSL is annoying as well) as there is that huge wait inbetween reaching Waist. I do make another milestone for myself inbetween otherwise I'd find it unbearable. Halfway between BSL (bottom of my bra strap) to Waist, I call it 'midback'. Which I haven't been since before my hair was shaved so once I reach it (hopefully early next year) I'll be really happy because that's the length that I consider hair to begin to look 'long'.

Especially as when my hair is stretched to BSL, it jumps up in curls/wurls to APL, so I figure my hair will LOOK Bsl when it's Midback, and possibly look Midback when it's at Waist :taz:

MoonlightShadow
May 10th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I kinda didn't like shoulder length lol but i see what you mean about bsl

kallarina
May 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Mine was just past my shoulders. It kept catching in my shirt collar in the back, and NOTHING I did would keep the ends from flipping out.

Lady Neeva
May 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Now. It's stuck at waist and won't go on. I'm waiting until it hits LBL and then-another stuck stage.

lolot
May 10th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Apl i dont like it, is not cute and edgy like shoulder and not sexy and free like bsl at least for me was a pain also for me is the longest distance in my body, so ive been waiting more than a year to pass it, now im almost bsl and im happy, my updos look better and i dont have hair falling into my face anymore

racrane
May 10th, 2012, 08:15 PM
For me, it's between shoulder and APL. I hate it and worked hard to resist cutting back to chin. It felt heavy and at the same time too short... If that makes sense?

Here's a picture: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7665&pictureid=107407

It's laying so nice in this picture but I promise you it wasn't always like that!

Diamond.Eyes
May 10th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Growing from chin to APL and growing from BSL to waist was the most annoying time for me. During these times, I was very close to chopping my hair because it was at such an awkward length; I'm glad I didn't though :p.

Johanna
May 11th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Chin length. It was so frustrating! It floofed out everywhere and i couldn't tie it back at all. I could to mini half up pigtails and that was it.

constructamane
May 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Love this thread....so many different opinions....looking at what I have to look forward to!!! My hair at the start was a 4-5 inch wedge style. It LOOKED from the front one length, but it definitely wasn't! I had ALOT of layering in the back, and some in the front, and as the layers grew OUT, it became nightmarish! To a point that I WORE A WIG alot for about 2 months, then I got the back layers cut when the front was long enough to start wearing it all one length.THANK GOD THAT IS OVER!

Actually, due to that experience, I do not think I will EVER again have my hair layered. IF I EVER go shorter again (WHICH I HAVE NO PLAN TO DO), it will be cut evenly all around, so if I WANT to grow it again, it will be ready to grow!

Since my hair has been short for a long time, having my hair on my face feels really good. I use a great shampoo and conditioner (Loreal's Great Lengths, shine formula). It leaves my hair silky, shiny and soft. My hair is jaw/chin length now.I will be heading into the summer growing into neck/collar bone. I have my hair parted to one side, so I can use barrettes to hold my hair back when it gets hot.

Ponytails...I hate short and stubby ones, so, my guess is I won't wear one until my hair is at least shoulder length, which is probably another 5-6 inches away.

My next hurdle will probably, for me, be the collar bone/shoulder to APL. I have a feeling that it will seem like forever that you hair finally "lives" on your back! Gotta be at least 1 year of growth. Right?

And what's with our bodies? I finally took a tape measure to my back,cause someone on a thread said its 2-3 inches from BSL to waist. NOT ME! I figure 28 inches will be BSL for me, and 33 inches will be waist.....that's 5 INCHES about 3/4 yr growth for me!

GenLove86
May 11th, 2012, 08:39 AM
oh yes! I completly agree! BSL so far is very annoying because it doesn't seem to be going anywhere! I'm starting to get more breakage now than ever but that is my fault.. but still! I just have to be patient

sparrowswing
May 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
I haven't had hair above my shoulders since kindergarten, but I figure those shorter lengths are probably pretty annoying. In my own personal experience, waist-length is the worst. That's the point for me when it gets caught in everything. It gets tangled in my bra, caught on my pants, stuck in doors, wrapped around my neck when I sleep... It's amazing how much easier it is to deal with now that it's at tailbone length. Maybe that's because I finally developed better ways of dealing with the length, but whatever the cause it's nice not having to fight with my hair.

Carissamarie08
May 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Yes at this BSL I can see all the breakage happening now....

Amethyste
May 11th, 2012, 10:59 AM
My hair isn't long at all but I am at this weird transition berween chin and shoulder. too short to put all up and too long to style it like short hair... i hate it lol.

door72067
May 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
any of the transition lengths when the current *go to* styles no longer work and I don't yet know anything to do at the new length

battle_angel
May 11th, 2012, 11:56 AM
For me the worst is growing shoulder to APL. It's got to be the most boring look in the Universe for my hair type!

Shaun
May 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm going to agree with the ladies on the pixie. As a gent, I started with a buzz cut with a spikey, flip up front. I'd say there are a few points that make you want to quit... Like the wonderful poofy time when the sides stick out unless you use a glue like substance. The point when that back looks like a mullet. The time when certain pieces flip and curl uncontrollably than make you yearn for scissors.

I wish I could comment on the beyond APL length. I guess ask me again in a year or two...

LiveYourDreams
May 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM
For me it's getting past APL. It's unbelievably frusterating having to wait for it to grow long again so I can fix it the way I want.

LiveYourDreams
May 11th, 2012, 05:26 PM
For me it's getting past APL. It's unbelievably frustrating having to wait for it to grow long enough again so I can fix it the way I want.

PolarCathy
May 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
For me it's right around where I am now.. MBL. I've been feeling very bad about it since APL+. So all the way APL+...MBL has been awkward for me. I'm just hoping that it gets better because I get the urge to chop on a daily basis.

mzBANGBANG
May 11th, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm going to agree with the ladies on the pixie. As a gent, I started with a buzz cut with a spikey, flip up front. I'd say there are a few points that make you want to quit... Like the wonderful poofy time when the sides stick out unless you use a glue like substance. The point when that back looks like a mullet. The time when certain pieces flip and curl uncontrollably than make you yearn for scissors.

I wish I could comment on the beyond APL length. I guess ask me again in a year or two...

I definitely agree with this one for the men! I have watched so many guys attempt to grow out their hair and quit at that point. I think a lot of boys can get away with it because they can just throw a hat over it, however not so much the case as they get older.

I'd be tempted to slick it back entirely and grow a car salesman mustache :eyebrows:

ClassicalBlonde
May 11th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Shoulder to APL!! I've been close to APL for a while now but it just seems to take forever to grow. And I just can't do anything with it at this length. I think I could deal with slow growth if it was longer as I could just put it up and forget about it. Not going to happen at this length though!

Shaun
May 12th, 2012, 09:21 AM
I definitely agree with this one for the men! I have watched so many guys attempt to grow out their hair and quit at that point. I think a lot of boys can get away with it because they can just throw a hat over it, however not so much the case as they get older.

I'd be tempted to slick it back entirely and grow a car salesman mustache :eyebrows:

Ahh, yes, the infamous hat trick. Its what I'd like to call a nice idea, but some jobs (mine included) don't let you wear hats. At least not indoors. So no hats for me, not that I really ever where any...

Now when it comes to slicking it back, I have been known to do something like that. "Slicking" makes me think of something like a used car salesmen you should avoid :eyebrows:. Rather, I like just combing it back so I don't always see a part.

I did forget one more bad thing about the awkward stage... COWLICKS! Yea, they are horrible to deal with. Thankfully I'm past that stage. :cool:

mrs_coffee
May 12th, 2012, 10:11 AM
When I was at shoulder length I thought it was awkward, but now that I'm APL it is seriously driving me crazy. I have layers so I can't really do anything cute with it, but I really don't like the way it looks *without* layers. I figure I'm learning some patience, which I can always use. If I can wait out the APL stage I will be much better off, I think (I hope!).

PixieKitten
May 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I've gotta say growing out a pixie, because both times I've had to, I became completely dependent on hats to the point where I would have a panic attack if I accidentally left the house without one on my person. Apparently my self esteem just can't take the bashing that comes with the terrors of growing out pixies.

As my hair grew longer I had to wean myself off hats by sitting in the back garden with a hat in my hand, and progress to leaving the house with a hairband on, but a hat in my bag. As cute as my last pixie looked, I just can't do it again!!

xoxophelia
May 12th, 2012, 10:30 AM
When did I join LHC? Yeaaaaah from then until now :P