PDA

View Full Version : Why are my bangs always gross? YEESH.

millyaulait
May 9th, 2012, 02:44 PM
My bangs are ANNOYING. Bad bangs. Bad.

I've tried 'pooing 'em, cone-ing 'em, clarifying 'em...

They are just always piece-y. Gross.

They almost look... wet. But they're dry.

I 'pooed them earlier today thinking they would come out okay but they didn't.

So I tried again & just did a BS+ACV wash, let them dry, and still... Gross!

What is going on here....?

Normally I just pin them up & forget them but I'd love to wash them once a week or so and just have nice bangs for a fancy up-do.

Amanah
May 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I wonder if you should grow them out so they don't bug you?
and until then wash them daily with Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo?

millyaulait
May 9th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Unfortunately I look horrible without bangs, doesn't suit my face at all.. :(

I guess I will keep trying to clarify - I just hope it works, eventually.

Arashi
May 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Does a very fine-tooth comb help? When mine look too piecy for my liking, the fine-tooth comb fixes it up very well.

How do you dry them? Do you air-dry or use a blow dryer? I always dry my bangs with a blow dryer(but only use it on my bangs, never the rest of my hair!) and that is probably the main contributor to my bangs behaving rather than going nuts as they are wont to do.

How thick or thin are your bangs? I find either too-thick or too-thin bangs are more likely to misbehave than a good balance between the two.

Just some suggestions as to the potential culprit! Bangs can be tricky little suckers, sometimes you need to give in and do things to them you'd never do to the rest of your hair. Strangle them into submission. :o

GlennaGirl
May 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Wash just your bangs every day. Pin back the rest of your hair while you use a teensy bit of shampoo. You probably don't need conditioner on just your bangs, particularly since you are cutting them regularly (right?).

I get very "piece-y" very fast with my bangs. But I love them. :)

millyaulait
May 9th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Does a very fine-tooth comb help? When mine look too piecy for my liking, the fine-tooth comb fixes it up very well.

How do you dry them? Do you air-dry or use a blow dryer? I always dry my bangs with a blow dryer(but only use it on my bangs, never the rest of my hair!) and that is probably the main contributor to my bangs behaving rather than going nuts as they are wont to do.

How thick or thin are your bangs? I find either too-thick or too-thin bangs are more likely to misbehave than a good balance between the two.

Just some suggestions as to the potential culprit! Bangs can be tricky little suckers, sometimes you need to give in and do things to them you'd never do to the rest of your hair. Strangle them into submission. :o

I've tried a fine-tooth comb & also a BBB to no avail.

I've been blowfrying them too since I hatehatehate wet hair on my face!

My bangs are quite thin, I think all my hair is, but especially the bangs.

Thanks, I guess it's okay to abuse them a bit since they do get trimmed often. :)

millyaulait
May 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Wash just your bangs every day. Pin back the rest of your hair while you use a teensy bit of shampoo. You probably don't need conditioner on just your bangs, particularly since you are cutting them regularly (right?).

I get very "piece-y" very fast with my bangs. But I love them. :)

Thanks, I guess I could try that, I do trim them so I think it'll be alright. :)

Anje
May 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
How oily is your forehead? Bangs like to pick up skin oils, it seems.

I'll second the advice to wash them daily. Since they get frequent trims, they can take a bit of abuse.

battle_angel
May 11th, 2012, 03:37 AM
millyaulait, my hair type is similar to yours and I also wear bangs. Having straight hair isn't very helpful - apparently oil travels down straight hair faster. I've found out that I can go only 1 day without washing them and I believe Anje's advice is spot on - bangs tend to pick up skin sebum and also skin moisturizer and get oily from that. If you leave them down this it's kinda inevitable, unless you want to skip moisturizer and/or use gentle bolting with cosmetic rice paper.

Mine are the worst if I don't pin them back while sleeping.
Otherwise, I do all sorts of abusing on them that I wouldn't dream to do on the rest of my hair: blow-drying, curling with the iron, frequent washes - so far they don't show any damage.

I hope you find any of this useful, and please share with us if you discover what works for you!

- Laetitia

jackie_brown
May 11th, 2012, 03:43 AM
How oily is your forehead? Bangs like to pick up skin oils, it seems.

I'll second the advice to wash them daily. Since they get frequent trims, they can take a bit of abuse.

I agree with anje.

Try to keep your skin less oily (i use green clay masks that are useful for oily skins ;)).

cfreya
May 11th, 2012, 04:36 AM
On top of all this great advice which I also use for my bangs- washing everyday without conditioner, blowdrying with a round brush, I would also say if you don't already, it may be a good idea to use powder on your forehead just to prevent oils, also dry shampoo could help, sometimes when mine are being absolutely awful I backcomb them just a tiny bit right at the top to give them some volume and stick them together lol my bangs need trimming like every two weeks so I don't mind abusing them a bit

millyaulait
May 11th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Thanks, everyone! :3

I will definitely give the powder a try, too!

Arya
May 11th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Can you dry them on a round brush so they have a bit of a curved shape? (that way there will be less bang touching your forehead).

I use dry shampoo on my bangs, since I'm never able to wash just my bangs. I have an old chapstick tin with a bit of cornstarch in it that I carry in my purse (can you imagine if I'm ever arrested?? LOL). I also don't use conditioner above my ears which helps a lot. Unless it's humid, then my bangs hate me and must be restrained with bandannas.

millyaulait
May 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Can you dry them on a round brush so they have a bit of a curved shape? (that way there will be less bang touching your forehead).

I use dry shampoo on my bangs, since I'm never able to wash just my bangs. I have an old chapstick tin with a bit of cornstarch in it that I carry in my purse (can you imagine if I'm ever arrested?? LOL). I also don't use conditioner above my ears which helps a lot. Unless it's humid, then my bangs hate me and must be restrained with bandannas.

I haven't tried that, but I will, thank you!

I do the same with conditioner too, I think cornstarch might come out a bit obvious on my hair because it's so warm/dark brown. I'm thinking of trying cocoa powder... I *think* I remember someone saying they used it as a dry shampoo. :D

Shimmy
May 12th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I use blotting papers on my forehead during the day, and it really keeps my bangs for picking up excess oil.

jacqueline101
May 12th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I'd try the dry shampoo. I'd wash them daily if they look oily put a little dry shampoo on them.