PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do about my ends! Would love your advice...

Valfreyja
May 8th, 2012, 02:55 PM
I really want to trim, but I'm still not sure if it's the right idea or not. I've got six or so centimetres (a couple of inches?) of sticky ends on my crown hair, like velcro. I might get rid of them now and trim again.... next year. I haven't trimmed anything since April 2011, yet I feel a little reluctant to get to a hairdressers. I'm SO close to reaching a length I haven't had for more than a decade. It's been such a struggle to get where I am now, that I feel as though it'll be all over if I give in... I know this sounds so dramatic, my hair isn't even far past shoulder length yet! I've always wound up in some outrageous hair disaster or another at this length (one of them resulted in my going bald, that was pretty traumatic. I KNOW I'm not going bald because of a trim, but...), so I am actually a little nervous.

Besides, what if I don't like layers (I've never had them before)? Yet, if I have layers, the damage will all be gone... grr... Decisions, decisions!

By the way, I do regular moisture treatments and it is resulting in nice hair, yet I know that ultimately, it's just hiding the damage. Although the ends are soft(er than they would be), though not as soft as the rest, they do stick together around the last 5 centimetres or so (couple of inches?). Sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on the day. I wish I could upload some photos! Unfortunately, the camera is kaput. :(

Thank you for reading through my rant! *breathes*

Laylah
May 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sticky "velcro" but soft ends, especially at shoulder length, doesn't sound like damage. It sounds like build up. How about trying a good shampooing, making sure you get the ends nice and clean? Then do a thorough conditioning to get them moisturized again.

Valfreyja
May 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Thank you, I will try that. Although I realise I forgot to mention something (sorry!): those particular ends happen to be bits that had been bleached from dyed black hair a couple of years ago. I'm currently in the process of growing them out.

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Mmm yes try to shampoo those ends to see if it's build up.
And if it doesn't work, try a deep protein treatment (joico ?) on them, people with bleach damaged hair had good results with it :)

Valfreyja
May 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM
No more protein, nononono.... I use henna once a month and that is actually more than I really need... or does that have different results to other types of protein treatments? I *just* put some henna in there a few days ago, I don't want to overdose on protein.

Long_hair_bear
May 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Try a good clarifying shampoo like neutrogena. A coney condish helped my knots also. Diagnosing what your hair wants can be a nightmare, I know all too well. :-)

Amber_Maiden
May 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM
You could clarify with baking soda if you would like, instead of shampoo. I find it works very well. Follow, after rinsing it out, with a vinegar rinse.

dulce
May 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
For me,when my ends get a bit velcro-y,I add extra conditioner,it means my ends are dry.

jojo
May 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Id certainly clarify and then evaluate your hair from there. If its very stretchy, you need protein, if its dry and brittle (which i think it is) you need more moisture. If this is the case, id do CO washing to get the moisture back into your ends for a month or so and then clarify again and start (if you dont already) start using a coney conditioner, especially on those ends.

If after clarifying and a month of CO washing, your ends are no better then a very small trim may be needed, good luck!

Valfreyja
May 8th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I'll check to see if Neutrogena is available in the shops here, it seems most of you are agreed on the need to clarify. My ends are definitely not stretchy, so it seems it's either build-up or dryness.

Speaking of cones though, I've been weaning myself off of them by using the Body Shop shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. They don't have cones, parabens or SLS which is why I've been using them. I feel as though my hair has become softer since so I'm a little reluctant to change back to SLS and cones.

Is it all right to CO with a coney condish? I thought it would lead to build up?

What about using baby oil? Is it okay if I'm using non-SLS shampoo?

Thanks again for the replies, I'll report back when I've come back from shopping tomorrow for that clarifying shampoo!