PDA

View Full Version : Events where you are more likely to see long hair.

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 12:34 PM
DH and I went to a concert featuring Cheap Trick, Heart, and Journey. There were all sorts of people, male & female, young & old (though mostly over 40) with long to very long hair. I even saw one poor woman who had put her hair up in a bun, the kind you make by putting hair up in a pony tail then bunning with a second band, whose hair band broke and so she could not sit down because people were stepping on her hair. It was all very lovely to see.

So, I am curious, and i apologize if I missed a thread out there about this, but: Where are some events you have been to where long hair was a very normal occurance, especially if it was a place where you were surprised to see it, or in an area where you were shocked to see it.

smythe_michael
July 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Amusement Parks for some reason! Every time I go to a Disney Park or something like that, esp in Florida, I am always amazed by how many long
haired folks I see about.

On a disappointing note: I recently went to a water park in the Atlanta area....
and NOTHING!

unaspenser
July 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I went to a local event called Goddess Fest last weekend, which is kind of a Wiccan/Pagan/New-Age festival/fair/party/spiritual gathering. There was beautiful hair everywhere, though it didn't surprise me much. :)

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Amusement Parks for some reason! Every time I go to a Disney Park or something like that, esp in Florida, I am always amazed by how many long
haired folks I see about.

On a disappointing note: I recently went to a water park in the Atlanta area....
and NOTHING!

That does sound surprising, I have not been to an amusement park in years, since I was a longhair myself (I am starting anew), so I do not recollect if that was true or not around me.

Starr
July 28th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Ren faires are a good place to see long hair.

orangeeyecrayon
July 28th, 2008, 01:18 PM
i am going to a renisance fair this summer. something i have done since i was little but have somewhat lost track of but want to start going to again. i remeber there always were longhairs there. not nessecarily even people at the fair, but there was a both where they braided hair where you would always see people with longer hair (and where i would always get my hair braided when it was longer)

i am super excited to go see some of the beautiful hair at the event

DeepRiver
July 28th, 2008, 01:23 PM
We have a big ren faire in Houston each year and there is some beautiful hair to be had there!!

Chromis
July 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Various ethnic festivals are another good place for long hair...and delicious food mmmm....

Paradise Lost
July 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Metal concerts!
It's nice to see so many long-haired people there, men or women.

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
We have a big ren faire in Houston each year and there is some beautiful hair to be had there!!

Yeah, I remember that from the last time I went. I may go again this next year, and if I do I will probably go to the hair braiding booth and get something done. I am a braiding retard.

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Oh, and libraries, I have been noticing that you can find quite a lot of long hair at libraries, whether it is patrons or employees, there is quite a bit there.

willowcandra
July 28th, 2008, 02:36 PM
When I went to see robert plant and alison krausse there were loads of shoulder lengthed men.

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 04:08 PM
When I went to see robert plant and alison krausse there were loads of shoulder lengthed men.

Hmm....perhaps I will attend they are coming to town soon by me.

EvaSimone
July 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Don't laugh but I always spot long hair when I am at Walmart...

Also this isn't really an event but every time I am in Arizona I see tons of really beautiful tail bone length hair (girls, women it's all over!!)

JessTheMess
July 28th, 2008, 04:45 PM
A LHC meet :)

lorig713
July 28th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Yes, we do! (http://www.texrenfest.com/) :jestor: I already have our tickets! :magic:

Liluri
July 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I went to a Buddhist Sand Mandala event and there were very few short haired women at the event and it was nice to see so many long haired people there. I was amused because of the Buddhist monk shaved head thing but onlookers had lots of tresses. :)

ChatoyantLocks
July 28th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Add Science Fiction Conventions to the list. I have seen lots of people with long hair at those - both men and women.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Yah metal concerts totally. Im a complete metal head, and its always best live. I like to see other people like me,and other long haire people. Plus, GUYS WITH LONG HAIR ARE HOT!!! I love going to concerts, its been too long...

getoffmyskittle
July 28th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Celtic festivals! :thumbsup:

Bill D.
July 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
American Indian pow-wows are a great place to see long hair, though I've only been to a few. I once saw nine women with hair to mid-thigh or longer in one day at a pow-wow. One tall woman had a braid to her ankles! :thud: Of course there was even more long hair to more common lengths such as waist. At another pow-wow I saw a guy with hair to mid-thigh, the longest hair I ever saw on a guy until I met Dave Decker.

Lots of envy on my part!

aprilmay
July 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM
How about events where you are most likely to see a mullet?

feralnature
July 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
How about events where you are most likely to see a mullet?

That's freakin hilarious :):):)

Isilme
July 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I went to a quite big concert some weeks ago, Metaltown and all I could see was long hair. I even got a hair compliment from a fellow hennahead with classic length hair :D

And then there's all the gaming convents I go to too.

Mitzy
July 29th, 2008, 06:07 AM
SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) events, for sure.

Kuchen
July 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Anything involving the performance of classical music.

Lady Godiva
July 29th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Biker events.

burns_erin
July 29th, 2008, 07:47 AM
American Indian pow-wows are a great place to see long hair, though I've only been to a few. I once saw nine women with hair to mid-thigh or longer in one day at a pow-wow. One tall woman had a braid to her ankles! :thud: Of course there was even more long hair to more common lengths such as waist. At another pow-wow I saw a guy with hair to mid-thigh, the longest hair I ever saw on a guy until I met Dave Decker.

Lots of envy on my part!

That's sad, I did not even think of this and I grew up real close to a res. I guess when it is usual you just do not think of it.

tiny_teesha
July 29th, 2008, 07:55 AM
At church i see a few, not many...but some.

Climber
July 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM
SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) events, for sure.

Yes, indeedy! I'm gearing up for the annual Pennsic War (http://www.pennsicwar.org/penn37/). I leave Friday. :cheese:

mira-chan
July 29th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Add Science Fiction Conventions to the list. I have seen lots of people with long hair at those - both men and women.

Add Anime conventions and gatherings to that.

burns_erin
July 29th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Ooh, I am so jealous, we do not have groups like ya'll have mentioned around here, or at least that I know about. I will have to look around.

Arctic
July 29th, 2008, 09:53 AM
My university's Faculty of Humanities :)

wendyg
July 29th, 2008, 10:12 AM
folk festivals, hacker conferences, any tech conference for creative geeks (as opposed to all business/marketing guys), whole food coops, MIT, Ithaca NY, San Francisco, London streets...

wg

Magdalene
July 29th, 2008, 10:17 AM
My irish dancing classes. which is funny since alot of them hide their hair under a wig to perform!

NurseMama
July 29th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I went to a local event called Goddess Fest last weekend, which is kind of a Wiccan/Pagan/New-Age festival/fair/party/spiritual gathering. There was beautiful hair everywhere, though it didn't surprise me much. :)

For some reason pagan events always have an abundance of redheads too...

Anathema
July 29th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Metal concerts and festivals! Not very surprising though, but still..

It's fun to see a club filled with only long haired people. The quality of the hair varies quite a lot though, sad to say. :/

unaspenser
July 30th, 2008, 02:03 PM
For some reason pagan events always have an abundance of redheads too...

Yes. My friends and I play "spot the fake red hair" at Goddess Fest and the Highland Games every year. Somewhat of a tradition. :)

Luckily, I'm a natural auburn, and nobody ever thinks my red is fake (if it was, it would be redder!).

Yttrai
July 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I'm never surprised when i see tons of long hair at a Samhain, or other neopag/wiccan gathering.

Again, not surprised, but at Gencon my classic length hair is barely on anyone's radar. I just get blown out of the water there.

thankyousir74
July 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I agree there were many long hairs at MegaCon this year.

Birchbark
July 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ever been contra dancing? It's like a hippie skirt and long hair convention.

burns_erin
July 31st, 2008, 08:21 AM
oooh, this is giving me great ideas, well maybe not so great when i get hit with the stalking charges, for where to go to get my long hair fix, lol.

Xandergrammy
July 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
I was at a hot air balloon festival in NJ this weekend and I saw lots of long hair- on men and women. :thumbsup:

socks
July 31st, 2008, 02:19 PM

Yeah, I was at Comic Con last week, and I see more longhairs there than at ren faires. It is also the only place where I can be sure to find a person or two with hair as long as or even longer than mine.

Nina
July 31st, 2008, 10:04 PM
Don't forget summer fine art festivals. For me, it's a great place to scope out long-haired guys. Went to one in June and met an artist with the most amazing long blonde curls. Wasn't really into his artwork, but chatted him up a bit because I was into his hair :)

Classic car shows are also another good long-hair event.

Jasmine19
July 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
Public parks, malls!!

burns_erin
August 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
Classic car shows are also another good long-hair event.

Not by me, unfortunately, it would make it alot more pleasant to go to with DH. Here at classic car shows we get mullets.

yldchyld
August 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM
I think that in Florida, with the large population of Hispanics that long hair is not that unusual. Lighter colored long hair is, but I see tons of dark-haired Hispanic gals with really long hair. Usually about butt length.