PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent a trim/cut

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Today I had my hair trimmed, when my stylist trimmed my hair she showed me the ends and they flaked away in her hands, almost like dust, she explained to me that this was due to damage and it was definately neccessary for me to have the trim this time around. I usually get my hair trimmed every 3-4 months, however as you can imagine this is 1/3-1/2 my growth everytime being cut off as I go. She is not a money-grabbing stylist and recommended that perhaps I should try and stretch my trims to every 5-6 months for maximum growth potential, I do love her haha.

ANYWAY- How would I prevent my trims and stretch them out to the maximum? How will I protect my ends in the best way possible so the need for a trim is lessened. I was using a silicone-based protective serum before all the time, but after seeing my ends flake away like that I am going to discontinue my usage because it seems to have added to the problem.

I have tried stretching before but around the 3.5 month gap it gets to the point where my ends are SO bad I have to get it trimmed or else my hair becomes lank and just disgusting. I really do want to stretch my trims but its really not working for me

HELP ME FIND WAYS TO PROTECT MY HAIR- I NEED ALL OF YOUR ADVICE!

This would also be great for others looking to protect their hair in the best way possible to achieve healthy-growing hair without the need to cut all of the growth off. And no, I can't just "leave" my hair, because damage travels!

Thank you beauties :magic:

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Hi,

Do you wear your hair up? That's the best way I know of to protect your ends. Don't touch it too much, don't fuss over it, just put it up and out of the way all day so it doesn't rub against anything (like your clothes. Or your chair. Or a car door).

jojo
May 8th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I personally would bite the bullet and have all damage trimmed off and start again. How could your hair withhold combing and yet the minute its cut turn to "dust?" . I don't quite understand that, but your quite right damage does travel up the hair shaft and the best way to get long hair, is to trim all existing damage off. Your hair will grow much healthier and quicker once you have got rid of the damaged ends.

afu
May 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
do you use oil at all? might be worth replacing your serum with a light oil such as coconut to help lock in moisture and protect the ends. make sure you are getting plenty of moisture to keep those ends soft (try an SMT) and learn some protective hairstyles such as buns. May also be worth investing in some hairdressing scissors and doing some s&d in between trims

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:15 AM
car door! I WISHED! I hardly ever wear it up and lately i've been brushing it over 100 strokes a day when I used to brush it once everyday only.

I vowed that after my stylist today cut and styled it (blow-dry + straighten) I wasn't going to heat style anymore, which I hardly do anyway like once a month but you just never know!

Only problem with me and updos is that I only know how to do about 3 updos, and people have given me links before but links aren't good enough I actually need proper instructions on how to do them because my hair is in layers and saying "sweep it here. then here. then up. then down." is very vague for me and my lack of inspiration is really my downfall here (as you can tell)

Thank you :D

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Jojo, it looks fine now (she took quite a bit off) as my hair isn't that long so most of the strands are healthy, it was just the ends that were the issue what I am kind of hinting towards is how to avoid the damage near enough all together so that my ends DONT get like that. I asked around for a hair evaluation and everyone said my hair is pretty darn nice apart from 1-1.5 inches.. which just happened to be what I just had cut off :D WOO healthy hair!

But my issue is- It doesn't STAY healthy, I want to know how to keep it how it looks now (I am referring to the ends)

I have heard mineral oil is pretty good, but there's the ongoing debate about that!

Oh and by dust, she rubbed it inbetween her fingers and it didn't even look like hair, it was like... dust LOL.
THANKS <3

nerdymomma
May 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I'm another fan of updos and neglect. I managed to "stretch" my trims out a year or more. I have some mechanical damage as well as some bleached highlights that I am growing out, but my hair is 1/2 virgin. I'm sure that plays a role in how often I need trims.

My routine? I damp bun a lot. I tuck the ends in after CWC (with really mild shampoo and conditioner) after a gentle towel dry, and my hair with still be damp in the evening, when I take it down for an hour or two to air dry then BBB and braid for sleeping. Ideally I wash every 2nd day, but really, any chance I get to escape the kids and pamper myself for 30 minutes, I jump in the shower. So, every day that DH is home, and 1-2 times during the week.

PinkyCat
May 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I see you have fine hair - have you tried protein treatments? Fine hair like ours usually likes protein. At first it will seem dry - but that is just because the shaft has been fortified - just do a moisuriziong conditioner after. The Aphogee 2 step is a good place to start, then use Ion reconstructor twice a week. This should help a bit. :)

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:23 AM
So is that damp bunning? I also wear my hair to bed loose, am I doing something that could induce damage here aswell?

I am going to take a picture of my hair as it is now (like 1 hour after a trim) and let you guys be the judge.

As for excessive brushing, my brushing habit is VERY recent, so if I stop now hopefully it won't be too late.

I'm not sure how to post a picture in my replies though?

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
100 strokes a day? -Ouch-. I only use a wide-toothed comb, and only every 3 or 4 days (after washes). My hair does all right on that. :D I panic when I lose all that hair while combing, so if I did it every day I'd die.

Anyway. I'm a new, converted fan of the updo-neglect thingie. Up and out of the way.
The easiest way is to bun it and buy accessories which will make for a new look every day, even if it's the same style (hmm... Ficcare or Flexi-8 today?).
Besides, even a bun can be different every day: cinnabun, rope braid bun, plain braided bun... And the Lazy Wrap bun which is really quick.
As for instructions, there are links to tons on the "Hairstyle of the Month" board.

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Can't edit my post, so making another one...

About the letting your hair loose at night, I did that and it didn't tangle excessively. I tried bunning and pineappling for a while, but didn't notice any difference as to tangles/health of hair. I'm sticking with the pineappling so my hair doesn't look like a poofy frizz (I'm a curly, and if I turn around a lot in my sleep, I look like a hairball my cat hacked up the next morning), but I could just as well leave it down.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:27 AM
My hair is rather strange. It has mixed textures, some are fine, some are very thick and strong, but all in all I would judge it as fine/medium :D

Protein treatments really naff up my hair, I used a protein kit the other day and my hair was falling out a lot, perhaps I should go CO only, or no cones I just really want to know what I am doing wrong- is natural better? coconut oil? anything ;(

I use moisture treatments a lot, it was really after the protein treatment I did the other day that was when my hair started looking very, very bad, now it is all washed out and trimmed it looks a hell of a lot better and I swore to myself: never, ever again. LOL!

But thank you so much all of you, I don't think we have Ahopogee here in the UK? (I know, this country really hates good hair products, my local stores don't even sell SLS free shampoos.)

PinkyCat
May 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Protein treatments really naff up my hair

Yay! I have a new word to use! :p

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Thank you very much DarkCurls, there are a lot of buns I see haha! My hair is at a really awkward length right now too, it's like "mid-length" and it gets tangled so easily and caught on silly things easily and it's too long to have a short style too short to have a long style I HATE BSL with a PASSION. NEVER cutting my hair short again just to get to this aggrovating stage!!!

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Pinkycat, that is London slang and I have no idea why I used it haha, just so used to texting my friends:

1) I had a really naff day today

2) My clothes are naff

3) My hair is naffed

Oh dear, so informal. I didn't even think twice before typing it! doh!

Gogobaby
May 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Hi hon, I sympathise, frustrated with my rate of growth to trim ratio too... I second Dark Curls advice - you would need to wear it up most of the time, and try not to comb or brush it roughly at all. This is the 'antique silk lace treatment'. Imagine it's your great grandmother's beautiful wedding veil. Invest in a boar bristle brush for when it is dry only, and make sure the strokes are long, firm and gentle rather than short and rough and quick. The usual stuff - only use a very wide tooth comb on wet hair. I found hair fall reduced when i started to use FAST shampoo and conditioner because of all the natural ingredients, plus I hear it speeds up growth. Blag your mates or other half into giving you a scalp massage, else do it yourself, daily, for 10 minutes in a very relaxing environment. Use a tiny bit of oil on your fingertips. All natural oils are good for a soak - I'm tending to soak mine as much as possible, especially when the hair is up so no one sees it. Argan oil I totally swear by for repair and protect. Rule of thumb - all oils should be natural, chemical free, edible even! It's just trial and error for what works best for your hair.

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM
BSL is pretty much long by my school's standards.
Maybe a bit short for some buns, but you definitely have a lot of possibilities there.

PinkyCat
May 8th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Pinkycat, that is London slang and I have no idea why I used it haha, just so used to texting my friends:

1) I had a really naff day today

2) My clothes are naff

3) My hair is naffed

Oh dear, so informal. I didn't even think twice before typing it! doh!

LOL Its awesome! Im going to really try to use it a few times today! ;)

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I have an afro hair shop near me that does pure coconut oil- would this be too heavy for my hair though as it is fine/medium textured?

Gogobaby it's just so hard to leave it alone, I don't know why, before I started growing it my habits were completely the opposite: sling it up, don't care, never brush it or wash it.

Now it's like: MUST TOUCH IT EVERY SINGLE SECOND OF THE DAY.

Really had being an obsessive person, I have many obsessive habits (eating disorder etc) and once I get into an obsession it's so hard for me to get out of it i'd need to go to rehab or something LOL.

THANKS <3

Madora
May 8th, 2012, 08:35 AM
car door! I WISHED! I hardly ever wear it up and lately i've been brushing it over 100 strokes a day when I used to brush it once everyday only.

I vowed that after my stylist today cut and styled it (blow-dry + straighten) I wasn't going to heat style anymore, which I hardly do anyway like once a month but you just never know!

Only problem with me and updos is that I only know how to do about 3 updos, and people have given me links before but links aren't good enough I actually need proper instructions on how to do them because my hair is in layers and saying "sweep it here. then here. then up. then down." is very vague for me and my lack of inspiration is really my downfall here (as you can tell)

Thank you :D

LadyHazel, you might want to investigate using catnip for split ends. Here's Ktani's article:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118

Since splits are usually due to dryness, you also might want to read up on using mineral oil (aka baby oil) as a way of moisturizing your hair. It is also marvelous as a detangler.

There's no need to brush your hair over 100 strokes per day. 100 a day is sufficient. Also, be sure your brush is not one of those with "nubs" on the ends. They can ruin the hair in no time flat.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I know pinkycat, it should totally be a word, but it isn't. There's so much more, including cockney rhyming slang (which is very rude) and swearing words rhyme with what you're saying but you're not actually saying them so you could be calling someone a *"makes fist movement" * but if they're not familiar with the slang, they have NO idea what you're saying to them LOL..

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Madora, I miss Ktani, I haven't spoken with Ktani in a while, I believe she's left. She was so supportive when I first joined too. Do you happen to know of the reason why she left? I really would like to talk to her again :(

Thanks for the blog link, she has so many when one randomly pops up it never suprises me haha :D x

PinkyCat
May 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
I know pinkycat, it should totally be a word, but it isn't. There's so much more, including cockney rhyming slang (which is very rude) and swearing words rhyme with what you're saying but you're not actually saying them so you could be calling someone a *"makes fist movement" * but if they're not familiar with the slang, they have NO idea what you're saying to them LOL..

I officially declare "Naff" a word in the English language - it is the equivilent of the American term "Jacked up". :D

Humbug454
May 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you're over-brushing your hair. If you're using just a standard hair brush with those bobbles on the end then that's going to be tearing up your hair, especially if you use it whilst your hair is wet! Invest in a wide-toothed comb to de-tangle your hair :)

As the others have said, oil the ends of your hair to help keep moisture in.

AVOID HEAT! :)

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 08:44 AM
This article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) (Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating) was my savior when i was a newbie, it sums pretty much everything.

barely.there
May 8th, 2012, 08:45 AM
try youtube for hairstyles. thats about as visual as you can get! :D

and I would definetly prescribe learning how to do micro-trims in between normal trims. with micro-trimming, you may be able to stretch visits to your hairstylist.

and I hope you are brushing with a Boar Bristle Brush :) this will help bring your sebum to your ends.

DarkCurls
May 8th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I just read that this morning, Aeltt (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=28079)! Goldmine of information. I second the rec'.

Bagginslover
May 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Youtube is AWESOME for learning hairstyles. At BSL, with finer hair, there are lots of buns you could try out. Just search for 'bun tutorial' on there, and you'll get tons!

nerdymomma
May 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I'm at BSL too, it was starting to get annoying because I didn't have any decent hairtoys. Now that I purchased a flexi and a pair of sticks, I have new inspiration for updos.

Have you ever tried watching 'do tutorials on youtube? I enjoy this particular channel, Wendy's Lookbook. She has some cute updo styles, including this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2SZDvuVtU&list=PL917280139E847DE4&index=6&feature=plpp_video

lol...was interrupted while posting and now I see half a dozen youtube recommendations.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Thank you all of you! Sorry for not being able to post individually my internet went down (AGAIN) one of these days that router is going to get chucked righ...

ANYWAY! haha, I will definately check that article out and as for youtube, how could I have been so narrow-minded as not to even think of youtube!

Microtrimming sounds like a good plan, what scissors do you use?

swearnsue
May 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm still confused how you could have ends that turn to dust when cut, yet have stayed put during 100 brushes a day. I'm wondering if maybe your ends aren't as bad as they stylist says? IDK, just hate to have you worry about something that might not be as bad as you were made to believe.

vindo
May 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
There is a ton of updo instructions on Youtube! :)

You may also want to switch to a gentle shampoo and conditioner since the Sulfates in regular shampoos dry out your hair and the silicones in conditioners stick toyour hairs surface so much they 'suffocate' the hair, because nothing can get in or out (which is important)
I love Earthly Delight Shampoo, best ingredients + best effects known to me in organic shampoo.

torrilin
May 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Really had being an obsessive person, I have many obsessive habits (eating disorder etc) and once I get into an obsession it's so hard for me to get out of it i'd need to go to rehab or something LOL.

THANKS <3

That's likely a good chunk of your problem.

It's easiest to grow long hair if your body is healthy and well nourished and strong. And eating disorders are pretty much the exact opposite of how you need to treat your body to grow long and healthy hair.

I'm not real clear on the psychiatric differences between addiction and obsession, but there are differences. And unfortunately, I'm more familiar with addictive behavior. They both really *are* treatable tho, and treating your obsessive tendencies would definitely help your hair growth. When it comes to hair growth, the mind/body connection gets pretty concrete :). So you need to take care of your brain and your body both.

Another thing to keep in mind is that growing long hair is an extremely long term project. On average, hair grows about 6" per year. So if you start from a pixie and want classic length hair, on average it's going to take 6-7 years with no trims at all, and rather longer if you trim! You don't need to change all your eating habits and other habits today. Even a small positive change is enough.

For me, no heat at all, ever is necessary to minimize trims. Dye is ok in moderation. I wear my hair up and as long as I swap between at least 3 different styles, I do ok at minimizing stress breakage from updos. (as a finey I'm pretty vulnerable to that) I don't take fancy vitamins, but I do eat basically only home cooked food, with LOTS of fresh veggies. Your list of dos and don'ts will turn out different I'm sure :). But you don't have to have mad styling skills or super thick or super strong hair to grow long. Patience and a desire to treat your hair right go a LONG way.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks beauties, and she is usually the opposite: you don't need a trim come back another time (when I want something I generally want it there and then as I procrastinate until the situation is dire)but yes, my hair could be a lot worse,

GOOD NEWS: I just bought some pure coconut oil for just 2 pounds! I know! 2 pounds!! And some good hairdressing sheers for the microtrimming and even a velvet scrunchie so I can start with the updos (its baby pink, love it, the scissors are pink too, if the oil could be pink, it would be also hahaha)

So I am listening to your advice and I don't take advice lightly as I have almost spent 30 pounds (50-60 dollars?) In the hair shop after this advice.

Now my question is: can I put coconut oil on dry hair and how do I get it to become liquid?

amanda_the_tall
May 8th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks beauties, and she is usually the opposite: you don't need a trim come back another time (when I want something I generally want it there and then as I procrastinate until the situation is dire)but yes, my hair could be a lot worse,

GOOD NEWS: I just bought some pure coconut oil for just 2 pounds! I know! 2 pounds!! And some good hairdressing sheers for the microtrimming and even a velvet scrunchie so I can start with the updos (its baby pink, love it, the scissors are pink too, if the oil could be pink, it would be also hahaha)

So I am listening to your advice and I don't take advice lightly as I have almost spent 30 pounds (50-60 dollars?) In the hair shop after this advice.

Now my question is: can I put coconut oil on dry hair and how do I get it to become liquid?

usually if you scrape a little bit onto your fingers and rub them together, it's enough body heat to melt the oil. you can put it on dry hair but it's easier to make it oily looking. i'd suggest putting some on after you shower to help keep the moisture in. but only a tiny bit, otherwise it will be stringy!

nerdymomma
May 8th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Coconut melts at 76* F (24 C) Just scoop a tiny bit of oil and rub it on your palms, your body heat is enough to melt it.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Haha there goes me about to put it in the microwave like a fool. So not on dry hair?

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
"How to oil your hair?
To oil the hair is quite easy. Take a small amount of oil, perhaps 2 drops, or if scraping a solid such as coconut oil, barely a fingernail full and rub between the palms to warm and melt a bit. There should be a very sheer layer of oil on the palms as a result--barely discernable except for the shine or reflection in the light. Then apply the oil to pre-washed, already fully dry and detangled hair. Apply only from the earlobes on down. Do not apply to scalp hair to leave on for days as this will upset your pH balance of the acid mantle (the scalp skin). "

(from here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=71). Can you guess i love articles ? ^^)

Just be sure not to put too much, it seems fine hair gets greasy easily.

You can also put it on wet hair to seal the moisture in, or heavily on your dry hair before a wash, etc..

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 12:48 PM
So if I put it on dry hair won't it seal my hair and stop moisture from getting in?

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Oh and I almost forgot: thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Np :)
The theory is that it stops the moisture from getting out and protects the hair between washes. So roughly you moisture your hair with deep treatments and/or conditioner when you wash, then you seal the moisture in with the oil leave in.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Oh dear I really don't want to seem like im being rude but I'm confused. Wouldn't it seal moisture in if you apply it to wet hair but to dry hair? Well the hairs, dry? So would that not be detrimental to the purpose? *hides in shame* thank you and sorry

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Don't worry, you're not rude :D Theory is great but you know.. Hair care is not a precise science. I told you what most people do here, but everyone has his routine. I oil on damp hair after washing, and on dry hair to tame the frizz or to help when i comb...
Just try different methods and see what works best for you. :)

palaeoqueen
May 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Where do you live? Both Boots and Superdrug have loads of sulphate-free shampoos. I got my hair scissors from Boots too.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Boots naked range and organix have caused reactions on my head :(

palaeoqueen
May 8th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Oh no! All of them? You poor thing. Well I do know one of the big names (L'Oreal?) have brought out a sulphate-free range, I saw it advertised today when I was in Boots, I'm sure there's some more brands too. Do you have a health food shop near you? My local one has a good range of sulphate-free shampoos.

red-again
May 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I react badly to the Naked and Organix ranges in Boots too. They do have some known irritants in them though even though you would believe they are natural.
DO you have a Waitrose near you? They do a natural one, Weleda and I use all three types (have used the shampoos too but am condish only now) I have no scalp reactions, no weird greasiness which I can get from natural hair products and no itchiness.
If you can order online, your possibilities widen. Love lula is one site, there must be a better way is another and naturissimo is the last one I use.
They have so many sls paraben, etc etc free products for not just your hair.

I am feeling your pain though - my hair is feeling lovely with my new conditioner only routine and I have to stop myself touching it. I tie it up in the car (seatbelt damage) then up for shopping ( handbag damage) Just a SLIGHT obsession developing!!

racrane
May 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hi. :) I have fine hair that used to need to be trimmed every couple of months. You will need to find what works for you, as everyone is different. I'll let you know what I do, though. Maybe it will help?

While damp, I bun my hair. I keep it in a bun for days. I wash my hair twice a week (CWC). I use coconut oil on the ends as needed. I like to use VO5 products with protein. I like the strawberry stuff. It works great for me. I hope this helps and you find something that works for you!

torrilin
May 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Boots naked range and organix have caused reactions on my head :(

Ugh.

I don't describe myself as having sensitive skin, because it isn't really accurate. It's most precise to say I'm sensitive to fragrance, particularly spring flowers like narcissus, lilac and hyacinth. A *lot* of grocery store shampoos and conditioners have lots and lots of fragrance, sometimes really high in the ingredients list. And most fragrances contain tons and tons of different plant ingredients... so it's not unusual for a complex scent to have things I react to, even if I can't identify what I'm reacting to. Thankfully I don't react to everything scented, so I *can* have pretty smelling things if I choose with care.

This is a really common way for our bodies to react. If you're having tons of trouble with reactions, it might be wise to choose products that are fragrance-free or meet the EU equivalent standard. If your body is at all twitchy about particular ingredients, it can end up in a state where it's sort of looking to react to anything that's the tiniest bit off from what it likes. So going fragrance free or being quite strict about what you'll use can help stabilize things.

It's not just shampoo and conditioner tho... I stick to fragrance free dishwasher detergent, laundry soap, often washing up liquid. You name it, chances are it's fragrance free. I obviously can't avoid all scent, so I try to make sure my body gets as little stress as possible.

If the situation is super-duper bad, like my sister's propensity to terrifying hives over most of her body... you can try cutting back on not just fragrance but the number of things you use. She uses a special anti-eczema body wash that is fragrance free, has gentle detergents and is really simple as her shampoo AND body wash.

I'd figure the NHS in Britain should have lots of information on this to help you figure out what labelling to look for. The US "fragrance free" label means no ingredients can be left off the label, and no ingredient can be used solely for scent. In the US, dermatologists and asthma specialists tend to talk about it most, and I'd guess it's the same for you Brits :). There *will* be a standard, and it should be easy to find out what is the strictest one.

And yeah, it sucks. On the other hand, reading ingredient labels is a pretty harmless obsession as obsessions go :).

palaeoqueen
May 8th, 2012, 04:11 PM
What about The Green People? This one:

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/organic-no-scent-hair-care-products.aspx

The shampoo does contain sodium coco-sulphate, which is milder SLS but I don't know you'd get on with it.

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Ooo thanks girls! And I bought L'oreal everstrong last week, the shampoo and the conditioner (the ones for fragile hair in green twin bottles) sls free but they are heavily scented and the botanical extracts made my head itch like crazy, and when I looked up the ingredients (such as peppermint oil) they were rated as irritating too. I itched FOR DAYS! I've only just gotten over it now by using vo5's give me moisture shampoo! I am going to check out those sites, I heard burts bees do one too but I imagine it would be pricey! X

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Lovelula seems like a good site just checked it out going to develop my research and I shall let you know of any purchases! X

cfreya
May 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Another really good sls and silicone free shampoo and conditioner is called happy hair days its available in larger Boots and Sainsburys and theres all different ones but I love the colour care one with coconut and marshmallow extract my hair absolutely loves it and its not too expensive

my2cats1
May 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Have you tried clarifying? (Neutrogena AntiResidue Shampoo is one option). After that you may consider no poo, or washing with a silicone-free condish.

Try sleeping with your hair in a high bun on a silk or satin pillowcase. That helped me a lot.

Consider sealing your ends with a little mineral/baby oil when it is still wet from the shower. It moisturizes better than cones for some people.

It's been mentioned here, but I'll say it again - catnip could be your friend! Check it out in the articles section.

How is your diet? Make sure you are getting lots of omega 3 ("good fats") and protein. Some folks here have added protein shakes and whole food supplements with success. Are you having any health problems? Thyroid problems, and some medicines, can affect hair.

A regular scalp massage wouldn't hurt, and it may help.

But overall finding ways to wear it up might be the most helpful change you can make.

Good luck!

HintOfMint
May 8th, 2012, 09:21 PM
This is one of the first things I did when I started growing long healthy hair seriously: I stopped using any leave-in product that had the drying kind of alcohol in it (isopropyl alcohol, SD alcohol... etc.). That stuff dries out hair like crazy and can make hair brittle. Your serum may not have alcohol in it, but it may have cyclopentasiloxane, which is a volatile silicone that is used to make other silicones spread more easily. The problem is, it evaporates, taking moisture with it and functions the way a drying alcohol would.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if it is in your rinse-out conditioner, unless the ingredients are higher on the list.

julierockhead
May 8th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I have learned some simple, cheap, (well, mostly cheap) things here at TLHC that have changed my damaged, frizzed, crispy hair and turned it into glossy, soft, strong tresses over the last 10 months.

Satin pillowcase (you will wonder how you ever did without it) and putting my hair up in a loose bun on the top of my head for sleep

Co-washing - Suave conditioner from the dollar store

Low ingredient, natural, sulfate free shampoo for the occasional shampoo, and leave-in conditioner, both by Toadstool Soaps on etsy.com, the stuff is amazing but something similar will do

Dry shampoo powder for oiliness at my nape and around my hairline, to stretch washes

NO BLOW-FRYER, EVER, just throw it away. Air dry only, and very little heat styling - in fact as my hair got healthier I used the straightener less and less, now almost never

and most importantly,

Coconut Oil

Coconut oil is the only oil that has been proven to actually penetrate your hair and bond to it. I oil my hair lightly while still damp after putting in my leave-in conditioner to retain moisture and seal the ends, in the morning, and before bed, every day. I apply it generously for deep conditioning before shampoos. If you do nothing else, buy some virgin coconut oil and read the tutorial on hair oiling in the articles section. Coconut oil is the bomb! Good luck!

LadyHazel
May 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Oh my gosh I was ussing a silicone serum and cyclopeentasiloxane was the highest ingredient I can't believe I was so stupid ! I'm using pure coconut oil from now on and I'm going to throw that serum away omg I can't believe that. Thanks girls, ill use my satin pillowcase from now on and ill braid my haair at night and ill also do s/d and microtrims just ill try not to go over the top on it and cut all of my growth of

Covet
May 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM
So if I put it on dry hair won't it seal my hair and stop moisture from getting in?

This is what I wanna know!

LadyHazel
May 9th, 2012, 07:54 AM
So far I don't think I've found the answer! I really want to know though because if it seals moisture in surely won't it also seal it out? Or won't it? Gosh! You should start a thread asking ;)