PDA

View Full Version : Is dry shampoo bad for your hair?

Asma
May 8th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I currently wash my hair everyday, and I want to stop doing that so lots of people suggested dry shampoo but my sister insists that it's bad for your hair especcially if you use it frequently, I don't really think she's right though :S :mad:

LadyHazel
May 8th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Your sister is right if you are referring to the use of an aerosol dry shampoo, like batiste, because the spray using to project the dry shampoo is full of rubbing/drying alcohols. My partner used dry shampoo everyday for about three months, and now his hair line is so receding at the age of 17 you could say he had the scalp of a 30 year old, his hair was falling out and it was brittle, dry and lack-luster.

HOWEVER: You could try CO-washing (conditioner only) because it still removes the dirt without the harsh SLS. (sulphates), in addition to this batiste and other dry shampoo companys have the "nude/powder" option where instead of an aerosol spray, you can apply the dry shampoo directly onto the scalp as a powder and then brush out, this contains only the powder and none of the harsh alcohols like the spray-cans do. Would you put deodrant on your hair? No? Well its the same. Talcuum powder can also be used as a dry shampoo just remember to brush out the residue completely and avoid harsh massaging/rubbing when you are applying it.

SO: Thats a no to aerosol based dry shampoos and a yes to nude dry shampoos (baby powder, rice grains such as batiste nude and Primark also do a version of this)

:D

afu
May 8th, 2012, 08:20 AM
well said by Ladyhazel.

I do use spray dry shampoos on my fringe sometimes between washes and it doesn't seem to be doing me any damage,however i make sure just to get it on the hair and not on my scalp and i also only use it every few weeks usually. My advice it just to try it and see if it works for you, all hair reacts differently. Also make sure you keep your hair nice and healthy, that way it is more likely to tolerate something slightly damaging

Chetanlaiho
May 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Your sister is right if you are referring to the use of an aerosol dry shampoo, like batiste, because the spray using to project the dry shampoo is full of rubbing/drying alcohols. My partner used dry shampoo everyday for about three months, and now his hair line is so receding at the age of 17 you could say he had the scalp of a 30 year old, his hair was falling out and it was brittle, dry and lack-luster.:D

Argh, did not know that O_O I've been using it for a few months (though usually only on my bang area at least) damn I thought I had finally found something that helped =(

Asma
May 8th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Thank you,
My hair is really oily though I don't think CO= washing would work. Idk
I currently use a sulphate free shampoo

Haha this is weird but do you think cocoa powder would work instead of baby powder? Since my hair is dark

amanda_the_tall
May 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Thank you,
My hair is really oily though I don't think CO= washing would work. Idk
I currently use a sulphate free shampoo

Haha this is weird but do you think cocoa powder would work instead of baby powder? Since my hair is dark

i used cocoa powder the other day! it worked great, just make sure you blend it in well (it's a little lighter/ more orange than my hair color) and it smells fantastic :) and make sure you wipe off any you get on your skin. or it'll leave little brown/orange splotches. and i used to be SUPER oily, and my hair is super fine, co washing does work for me though. maybe you can try it on a day you don't have to go somewhere?

Babyfine
May 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I use Tresseme Fresh Start for dry/curly hair as it seems to have the least objectionable ingredients. I read the ingredients on the others and they scared me off.
I only use it in a pinch, though, when I don't have time to wet down and dry my hair and have to be somewhere early. It helps me stretch out my wash to another day.

Ephemeral
May 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I over-oiled my hair recently and used a bit of cocoa on it. It absorbed the oil and gave my hair some volume at the same time. Make sure you brush it out good. As a plus, I smelled like a bakery!

Hollyfire3
May 8th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Is using cornstarch or cocoa powder (can it be the alkanized stuff) as dry shampoo damaging?

Hollyfire3
May 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I over-oiled my hair recently and used a bit of cocoa on it. It absorbed the oil and gave my hair some volume at the same time. Make sure you brush it out good. As a plus, I smelled like a bakery!

Can you use the alkanized stuff? Thats what I have tons of...

Ephemeral
May 8th, 2012, 12:36 PM
All I have on hand is pure unsweetened cocoa. You use so little of it though - like maybe a 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon that I don't know if it would make a difference to the health of your hair.