View Full Version : Just stupid question about buns who spits out hairfork..

Safira
May 8th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Nothing important but I´m so curious, why my hair spits out hairforks? My buns have never act this unruly, it´s like they have gone wild and want to be loose =)
Is there something wrong with my technique?

lapushka
May 8th, 2012, 09:12 AM
What is your technique?

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Me too, i assumed it's because my hair is thick.
Maybe it works with bigger forks ? Mine were small plastic ones [well.. small compared to the huge wooden ones i saw on LHC], and they got either spit out or broken. Even with half ups and even if i secure it before, so i just stick to hairsticks (pun not intended)

Amelia
May 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm curious to see any answers apart from "it's the thick hair".
I blame my hair and the fact that it has a will of its own. Lately (after a cut) it has gotten even more thick and is spitting everything out >.< I normally got away with hairsticks and forks, but not these days.

Anje
May 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I think it's usually technique and trying to stab the fork through too much hair. Some buns just hold better if you don't try to grab as much.

Sometimes it's a slippery fork in slippery hair and a couple gentle nudges when you're not paying attention, though.

ladyfey
May 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
They don't work for me either. I have a lovely Grahtoe fork, 4 tines. Doesn't work. I use sticks.

Aeltt
May 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I'm curious to see any answers apart from "it's the thick hair".
I blame my hair and the fact that it has a will of its own. Lately (after a cut) it has gotten even more thick and is spitting everything out >.< I normally got away with hairsticks and forks, but not these days.
It's the cut. I find it even more difficult to make a bun when i have blunt ends, a little fairytale ends helps to tuck the ends under the bun so it stays in place.

Safira
May 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM
What is your technique?

I just put the forks in bun. Only thing I´m trying, it´s not hurting my scalp. Or should I just keep looking for bigger forks...?

(but I´m glad I´m not alone :D)

Blondiesturn
May 11th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Maybe the tines are too thick. I prefer thinner, widely spaced prongs.
For a big bun you will also need longer prongs, say, 6" usable length.
If there is still slippage, perhaps the fork tines are too close together. I like the wide prongs even though I have thin hair as they seem to anchor the bun more evenly rather than just grabbing hair in one small area.

spidermom
May 11th, 2012, 08:31 AM
I think it's technique, maybe the size of the fork as well. If I keep working at it, I can usually find a way to use a new fork. Of course, some days I can't get anything to hold my hair. It seems pretty random, like bad luck.

Seeshami
May 11th, 2012, 08:35 AM
The naughty mess hates forks too. I blame my stupid thickness more then anything else and the hair fork I was given was a tiny thing. Probably three inches of usable length.

sparrowswing
May 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I think the size and spacing of the tines is the biggest issue for me. I haven't had a chance to try out any of the amazing hair forks I've seen around here since joining, but all the ones I've tried before have slipped out like my hair was pushing them away. Even the little bun pins did it. So I've just been using hairsticks for years now, assuming the forks and pins would never work.

In my case, it's definitely not an issue of thickness, but it could be that my hair is just too slippery.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I have had bobby pins or longer hair pins come out because I'm inserting in too thick of hair, or trying to hold too much thickness of hair with one thing. I think you may need to play a little and try inserting these into thinner hair thickness. I have taken to using two hairsticks. I also have one hair stick that has two teeth on it, long teeth, and this one holds my hair super well. You can also try dividing the hair so the thickness is spread out. For example, I've done two buns side by side, or one under the other. That works too.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I think the size and spacing of the tines is the biggest issue for me. I haven't had a chance to try out any of the amazing hair forks I've seen around here since joining, but all the ones I've tried before have slipped out like my hair was pushing them away. Even the little bun pins did it. So I've just been using hairsticks for years now, assuming the forks and pins would never work.

In my case, it's definitely not an issue of thickness, but it could be that my hair is just too slippery.

That has happened too. I only once have ever found great hair pins that really do the trick and stay put, and don't wiggle around too much or become too lax and the hair updo begins to fall out. I also no longer use bobby pins. If I use bobby pins, I use the long bobby pins known technically as hair roller pins. They hold my hair far better than a gazilliion bobby pins.

For me, the slippage has usually been associated with asking the pin to hold too much hair thickness, though.

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Size of the fork does matter. But it also helps to know which styles are more suitable to be held up by X tool (hair stick, hair fork, clip, bobby pins, etc). I have some styles that don't work with hair sticks at all. I have one updo that almost holds itself up if I twist well enough.

You might try looking at my youtube video because at the end, even though it looks a bit messy in construction, it still shows an easy updo that a hairstick works well with, and only takes under a minute to put the hair up. It's good to have a go-to updo in case wind kicks up, or you're havinga hair emergency such as in the car or you're outdoors hiking.....whatever. I'm in school now so some days I just drop out of bed, put my hair up, put my clothes on and 15 minutes later I'm out the door and off to school, or to study.

Here's a link if this might help you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

heidi w.
May 11th, 2012, 10:27 AM
You might benefit from long hair updo videos. There are a number of older ones on VHS that you can sometimes find, such as on eBay. James, oh man, what is his name? (I'm calling my friend to find his full name but got a busy signal. Crap!) is one guy who does some great updos for longer hair. It's not super hard to follow the how-to, but you may have to do it a few times before it all comes out right. I know.

heidi w.

CimarronSun
May 11th, 2012, 11:40 AM
My hair doesn't want to stay up at all this week. In my case it is because I did a deep cleaning on my hair Sunday and it is still too clean and slippery.

Misting with water or lightly oiling helps give updos more hold on slippery hair. And a properly sized hair fork.

afu
May 11th, 2012, 12:11 PM
You could try applying some oil or gel to give your hair a bit more grip and less slip (i use a mixture of aloe vera gel and coconut oil mixed up in a pot) and try not to put it through too much hair. I've got two tiny 3" (total length) hair forks (made from recyled eating forks!) in the post - im predicting some battles and frustration while i work out a way of using them, haha. They were just too cute to resist, but im sure the teeny tiny size will cause some issues

Vanilla
May 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
For me it depends on the bun and length of hair. A few months ago, the lazy wrap bun held really well with every fork I had. Now, not so much. My hair seems to spit out every fork that I use to attempt to secure a lazy wrap bun. I have a curved 2 time fork, straight 2 time fork and a three tine fork and none worked with that bun.

I can get a lazy wrap bun to work only if I braid my hair beforehand now.

I switched to a gibralter bun for loose hair and that seems to stay a lot better.

Maybe try a different bun that the usuals that you do and see if that helps, or try braiding your hair prior to doing the current bun you do and see if that helps.

ravenreed
May 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Some lengths are harder than others, for some reason. Buns that worked at waist fell apart when I hit TB, for instance. Also the condition and texture of you hair has something to do with it, I am sure. When my hair is smoother, my buns fall out faster. When my hair is rough and snarly, those buns stay all day. I also have trouble with certain forks. I like forks with widely spaced tines so they pull hairs less, but those slip out easier. I find a nautilus is a good, comfy bun because the fork can jab through the center without having to grab scalp hair.

BlazingHeart
May 11th, 2012, 03:29 PM
If you are just sticking the fork straight in, it's at least partially your technique. For a bun like a Cinnabun you want to poke the fork into the edge of your bun with the tines pointed straight at your head. Turn the fork out so the tines poke away from your bun and the front of the fork faces your bun. Then, sweep the tines along your scalp as you turn the fork the right way and stab it into your bun. The key is to stab the edge of the bun, scoop scalp hair, and then stab accross the bun. Some people use an up and down sewing motion when they stab across the bun so that they alternate bun hair and scalp hair as they go across.

I would link you to a YouTube video, but I am on a tablet. If you look up 'how to use a hair fork' you will get some very useful videos.

~Blaze