PDA

View Full Version : Nightly Updo

Linika
May 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
So, I did a huge mistake and used bobby pins to keep my hair up for several months. Now my ends are a total mess of split ends.
I have started wearing it up with hairsticks only during the day but I'm not sure how I should wear it during the night. Earlier I wore it in a kind of odd bun on the top of my head secured with a metal less hairtie. I don't feel confident it was protective. The ends felt very exposed in that updo.
Last night I did a tucked french from back to front and secured it with little clips like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/po6i4kecnezs6r4/IMAG0161-1.jpg. I'm planning on getting a bonnet to put over it too.

What do you people think of this style. Is it protective? Or is it just going to damage the hair more?

bunzfan
May 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM
If i were you i would just braid it that's what i did from APL onwards, you could always do twin French braids.

barely.there
May 8th, 2012, 02:40 AM
you could try a sock bun on the top of your head.
I dont really like braid waves, so when my hair gets longer, I've thought about getting a nice long peice of material to wrap around the body. like this: http://images.ffonline.it/img/data/media/50/final_fantasy_X-2_wallpaper_1024_graphix-4-2.jpg

the character has a mullet, and its wrapped up in a ponytail sort of fashion. not sure how to secure it :P

some really long hairs like doing braids at night...others find them damaging and just let their hair out to do its thing.

Linika
May 8th, 2012, 03:23 AM
If i were you i would just braid it that's what i did from APL onwards, you could always do twin French braids.

I have slept with just a braid, but then I lay on it and it gets rubbed between the sheats and my body alot. That feels kind of damaging ^^'

you could try a sock bun on the top of your head.
I dont really like braid waves, so when my hair gets longer, I've thought about getting a nice long peice of material to wrap around the body. like this: http://images.ffonline.it/img/data/media/50/final_fantasy_X-2_wallpaper_1024_graphix-4-2.jpg

the character has a mullet, and its wrapped up in a ponytail sort of fashion. not sure how to secure it :P

some really long hairs like doing braids at night...others find them damaging and just let their hair out to do its thing.

Unfortunately I don't think that a sockbun would work for me. I don't have any hairties withut metal that would be able to hold it securely :( It also feels like the ends are mashed together in a very disorganized manner when I do sockbuns. I probably do it wrong xD

I have no problem with baridwaves. I always keep my hair up so they don't really matter :) I think that both loose hair and a loose hanging braid feels damaging. Ithat's why I try to find a good way to pile tha hair ontop of my head :)

BeckyAH
May 8th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I just twist my hair into a bun like thing, *don't* secure it, and smack a satin sleep bonnet over the top. No ties to damage it.

Linika
May 8th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I just twist my hair into a bun like thing, *don't* secure it, and smack a satin sleep bonnet over the top. No ties to damage it.

That sounds like a plan! Just need to get the sleep bonnet then... :)

gracenotes
May 8th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Make a braid on top of your head, coil braid into a bun, secure with scrunchie :) I do this sometimes and it keeps my hair tangle-free and out of my way at night.

auburntressed
May 8th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I was doing just a single braid before, but I too felt like the braid was getting rubbed between my body and the bed. So I switched to a braided topknot bun. My ketylo is actually almost exactly the same length as the bun, so it doesn't get pushed out or feel weird to have it in for sleep.

If you feel like you absolutely have to have something to help stabilize your sleep bun, then you could look for a satin scrunchie, make one of your own, or buy some satin ribbons to help tie it securely. I've been meaning to do that myself, actually... Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Anje
May 8th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I prefer mine loose in a satin bonnet at night. My hair tends toward fragility, so I don't like to secure it more than necessary. Also, my scalp is happy to have a break from having the hair secured.

CocoBean
May 8th, 2012, 07:54 AM
This is a great thread, and one I actually was thinking of starting myself... I struggle sometimes with either a bun, a braid (which bothers me on my back), pinned up, etc... Most times I just flip it all up high on my pillow and sleep with it that way. I've done it so long that I'm used to keeping it up there, and since I don't move that much at night, it actually stays above my pillow... I worry about pinning and causing splits and breakage. My hair is fine and delicate too, tangles easily and have to be very gentle with it.
I'd be interested in the satin scrunchie over a bun.

Linika
May 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Make a braid on top of your head, coil braid into a bun, secure with scrunchie :) I do this sometimes and it keeps my hair tangle-free and out of my way at night.

I've been thinking somewhere along those lines, though I'm scared when the ends are exposed at the outside of the bun :( (the reason I did a tucked french ^^'

I was doing just a single braid before, but I too felt like the braid was getting rubbed between my body and the bed. So I switched to a braided topknot bun. My ketylo is actually almost exactly the same length as the bun, so it doesn't get pushed out or feel weird to have it in for sleep.

If you feel like you absolutely have to have something to help stabilize your sleep bun, then you could look for a satin scrunchie, make one of your own, or buy some satin ribbons to help tie it securely. I've been meaning to do that myself, actually... Just haven't gotten to it yet.

I'd love to use my ketylo... though I think it would be akward. I think it might be just above the lenght of my heads with, so it might not be too secure if I try to secure it that way :/

I think I'm going to do some scruncheis while I do the bonnet :) I just need to get the fabric now ^^

I prefer mine loose in a satin bonnet at night. My hair tends toward fragility, so I don't like to secure it more than necessary. Also, my scalp is happy to have a break from having the hair secured.

I have to try when I make my bonnet :) I'm a bit scared that the hair would rub against itself and cause damage. Is that even possible?

What are your thoughts one real satin vs satine like non real satin?

This is a great thread, and one I actually was thinking of starting myself... I struggle sometimes with either a bun, a braid (which bothers me on my back), pinned up, etc... Most times I just flip it all up high on my pillow and sleep with it that way. I've done it so long that I'm used to keeping it up there, and since I don't move that much at night, it actually stays above my pillow... I worry about pinning and causing splits and breakage. My hair is fine and delicate too, tangles easily and have to be very gentle with it.
I'd be interested in the satin scrunchie over a bun.

I'm glad you liked the topic! I've been thinking about it for a while too ^^
I wear my hair loose and flipped up when I have washed my hair so that it can dry, though I always find myself waking up on my hair in the morning :( I probably move around more than you ^^
I slept with a singel braid for a long time, it bothered me in the begining but it doesen't any more! :D As long as I don't get the hairtie like right on the spine >.>

"I worry about pinning and causing splits and breakage. My hair is fine and delicate too, tangles easily and have to be very gentle with it." This! This is just like my hair!

PinkyCat
May 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM

I do EXACTLY this!

leenybeenz
May 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
SCRUNCHIE! They are the way to go! Pony tails tend to rip at hair over time... or that's what I have been told lol

Linika
May 8th, 2012, 11:18 AM
SCRUNCHIE! They are the way to go! Pony tails tend to rip at hair over time... or that's what I have been told lol
A pony tail would be a no-no for me anyway. The hair would just rub against the sheats and break and tangle.

FoxyRoxy13
May 8th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm a new member here and I have taken to braiding my hair at night. I don't tend to get split ends I just worry about breakage, this seems to be working so far though I will see how it goes. I used to do a messy bun at the top of my head and I think it caused a lot of my breakage. I have so many hairs that are shorter than the rest lol.

dwell_in_safety
May 8th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I wear mine in a braided bun on top of my head. I used to wear a cinnabun/bee butt bun, but after a while I believe the constant twisting it in the same two ways every night created some breakage. Now I braid my hair first so that that doesn't happen, and I make a bun with it to keep the ends protected because my hair still has dye damage (and will for a while :p ).

Linika
May 9th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I bought a silk scarf and a thai silk shirt at my local red cross second hand store today. Now I have a sleeping bonnet! And fabric enough for one more, and all for the price of $3.5!
I'm happy :D

The thai silk is the outside, and the scarf the inside. Hopefylly it will stay on tonight :D

shutterpillar
May 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I oil it and french braid it. :) Its nice to sleep on, and fairly easy to do now that i've finally caught on to french braiding my own hair. And most of all, it keeps my hair protected.

Linika
May 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I oil it and french braid it. :) Its nice to sleep on, and fairly easy to do now that i've finally caught on to french braiding my own hair. And most of all, it keeps my hair protected.

I'm glad you feel it's protective! :D

I think it feels like a braid feels damaging as it gets caught between my body and the sheats :(

heidi w.
May 9th, 2012, 11:24 AM
A lot of people fare well with satin sleep caps. I don't use that. I let my hair completely down and loose on a satin covered (pillowcase) pillow. Hair during the night needs to relax from being in an updo all day long. It needs to be in the direction the hair grows in; otherwise, some people can end up with headaches. I have certainly done updos for the night, braids, pigtail braids, but by far the best care is a satin pillowcase and allowing the length to be down. I am now at a length that when I let it down and place it somewhere during the night, it tends to stay put all night long. I have used satin fabric down the back or side of the bed for hair to slide against during the night, but I no longer have this issue because I'm so long that it has a certain amount of weight, and my hair just stays put even if I toss, turn, roll over, and all that. I just put it above my head and off to the side, and there it is the same location in the morning. I do not wake up in a web of hair. I found the hair disassembled thing much more complexing at shorter lengths. When longer haired people told me this, I didn't think they understood but I now know it's just an issue of length and weight, and it takes time to grow hair long enough.

Also, I might add, why do you have all these splits using bobby pins? That indicates to me that the pins used may have been in some disrepair. One has to be quite rigorous about hair pins and ensure the tip is fully on, not about to fall off, or in the process of lifting.

I've slept in pinned hair, and it doesn't stay. It becomes a mangled mess by morning, not to mention the bun is typically a neck problem that affects sleep quality. I've slept in hair sticks and these aren't a great option either.

Use a sleep cap that is satin or sateen lined, or a satin/sateen pillowcase. I use a king sized pillowcase on a regular pillow, and allow the extra length to cradle the excess hair. I pool the length on the excess fabric.

I hope you resolve this problem soon. You don't want to have to cut off all that damage that you are describing.

heidi w.

Linika
May 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM
A lot of people fare well with satin sleep caps. I don't use that. I let my hair completely down and loose on a satin covered (pillowcase) pillow. Hair during the night needs to relax from being in an updo all day long. It needs to be in the direction the hair grows in; otherwise, some people can end up with headaches. I have certainly done updos for the night, braids, pigtail braids, but by far the best care is a satin pillowcase and allowing the length to be down. I am now at a length that when I let it down and place it somewhere during the night, it tends to stay put all night long. I have used satin fabric down the back or side of the bed for hair to slide against during the night, but I no longer have this issue because I'm so long that it has a certain amount of weight, and my hair just stays put even if I toss, turn, roll over, and all that. I just put it above my head and off to the side, and there it is the same location in the morning. I do not wake up in a web of hair. I found the hair disassembled thing much more complexing at shorter lengths. When longer haired people told me this, I didn't think they understood but I now know it's just an issue of length and weight, and it takes time to grow hair long enough.

Also, I might add, why do you have all these splits using bobby pins? That indicates to me that the pins used may have been in some disrepair. One has to be quite rigorous about hair pins and ensure the tip is fully on, not about to fall off, or in the process of lifting.

I've slept in pinned hair, and it doesn't stay. It becomes a mangled mess by morning, not to mention the bun is typically a neck problem that affects sleep quality. I've slept in hair sticks and these aren't a great option either.

Use a sleep cap that is satin or sateen lined, or a satin/sateen pillowcase. I use a king sized pillowcase on a regular pillow, and allow the extra length to cradle the excess hair. I pool the length on the excess fabric.

I hope you resolve this problem soon. You don't want to have to cut off all that damage that you are describing.

heidi w.

Thanks for your through description on the way you keep your hair heidi w! It really explains very well how the length and amount of hair helps with keeping it in place. Here's to hoping my hair will reach a lenght were it will behave like that :D
When I let my hair out during the night it ends in either me sleeping on it, or it being a complete knot infestion in the morning. Neither feels good :p

I have never ever had any problems with headaches due to updos or my hair. I have heard that they exist, and will keep it in mind if I start to notice that I get them.

Now I notice that I don't have the correct kind of fabric! T_T Oh well, I think that the silk one that I have so far is going to be alrigth till I get a good one. It has a, though not as glossy as a surface as the satin, soft and glossy texture.

When it comes to my damage. My hair is kind of prone to breaking on it self so adding the process of putting in and taking out the boby pins was not really optimal. I only used the bobypins that had caps on them and I never felt the hair got caught on the caps, but they were these small bobbypins where the legs are really thight together. I think that kind of crushed the hair, and caught them in on the way out. I have bigger ones, but they wouldn't keep the ends in... so I never used them for that. Now I have to pay the price.
Unfortunately I will have to cut last inches off my hair, but I can't do that in one sitting. I'd feel ill if I did :P I'm going to do microtrims for a while to get the upper hand on those splits. It's no use doing S&D (there are just WAY to many splits) and letting it be will just result in worse ends. I feel kind of comfortable with the length I'm having right now though, so it feels alright to go down this route :)

jacqueline101
May 9th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I do a loose bun. Place my sleep cap over that.

CocoBean
May 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM

heidi w.

Heidi, thank you so much for sharing!! After reading your post, I will def. get a satin pillow case, I was just looking at satin sleep bonnets, but hate the thought of wearing them, just not my style. But on my cotton pillow case, I do the same thing, even though my hair is not anywhere as long as yours, I can flip my hair up over the back of my pillow and it will stay all night. Looking into the satin pillow case asap. Thank you again for your post... your hair is beautiful!

barely.there
May 9th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately I don't think that a sockbun would work for me. I don't have any hairties withut metal that would be able to hold it securely :( It also feels like the ends are mashed together in a very disorganized manner when I do sockbuns. I probably do it wrong xD

I have no problem with baridwaves. I always keep my hair up so they don't really matter :) I think that both loose hair and a loose hanging braid feels damaging. Ithat's why I try to find a good way to pile tha hair ontop of my head :)

I use nylon stockings for my sockbun :D they definetly take practice! you might want to shop around for hairties without metal. they can really pull hairs out :(

I use a satin pillow case as well, and after only a few days I notice a difference in my hair. it is not as dry and velcroy, and is very smooth and shiney.

Linika
May 9th, 2012, 11:32 PM
I use nylon stockings for my sockbun :D they definetly take practice! you might want to shop around for hairties without metal. they can really pull hairs out :(

I use a satin pillow case as well, and after only a few days I notice a difference in my hair. it is not as dry and velcroy, and is very smooth and shiney.

How do you use stockings?
I have hairties without metal, though they are too big or too small to use with the sockbun :(