PDA

View Full Version : Making myself accountable.

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
It's hot. It's humid. I have a ton of regrowth after a bout of anemia. My hair is just hitting waist length and I want to cut it off like you would not believe. :justy:

I am avoiding that by posting *here*, publicly. Doing so will, at least, keep me off the 'cut' bus until September, when I can have a good idea of what is actually my hair bothering me, and what's just being hot and miserable.

So. I'm allowed up to a 2" 'trim' on my birthday (July 5). Otherwise - up and forget it until 9-1. I bought new hair toys today to make that possible. And, frankly, after having spent money on my hair now would be a bad time to whack it up to shoulder length.

(And, of course, anyone else who wants to join me in this fairly low commitment 'no cut' deal, just for the summer, is more than welcome to. Otherwise? Feel free to threaten to hoist me up by my ankles if I snap and cut it.)

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Don't cut it until you've thought it through. Make sure your decision is not a snap decision.

Vanille_
May 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM
It's hot. It's humid. I have a ton of regrowth after a bout of anemia. My hair is just hitting waist length and I want to cut it off like you would not believe. :justy:

I am avoiding that by posting *here*, publicly. Doing so will, at least, keep me off the 'cut' bus until September, when I can have a good idea of what is actually my hair bothering me, and what's just being hot and miserable.

So. I'm allowed up to a 2" 'trim' on my birthday (July 5). Otherwise - up and forget it until 9-1. I bought new hair toys today to make that possible. And, frankly, after having spent money on my hair now would be a bad time to whack it up to shoulder length.

(And, of course, anyone else who wants to join me in this fairly low commitment 'no cut' deal, just for the summer, is more than welcome to. Otherwise? Feel free to threaten to hoist me up by my ankles if I snap and cut it.)

Oh, I get it. I'm in Louisiana. Talk about heat and humidity. And as bad as I think it is now, it's only going to get worse. I'm from Colorado - these summers kill me. Just keep your hair up as much as possible. Keep a clip or hair tie in your car in case you forget and you need to put it up last minute.

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Oh, I get it. I'm in Louisiana. Talk about heat and humidity. And as bad as I think it is now, it's only going to get worse. I'm from Colorado - these summers kill me. Just keep your hair up as much as possible. Keep a clip or hair tie in your car in case you forget and you need to put it up last minute.

I am from here (Southern VA), but I've spent most of my adult life in Northern Michigan. It's already in the 80s here, which isn't anything compared to what I expect Louisiana is/will be like, but yeah. July and August are going to make me insane.

...good plan about the car. I can stick a clip and a tie in there. It will save my butt at least once, I'm sure. Thank you!

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Don't cut it until you've thought it through. Make sure your decision is not a snap decision.

;-) The real key is going to be remembering that it's only miserably hot here for 3-4 months of the year. And that a hair style for less than half the year is silly.

amanda_the_tall
May 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
i'm in south carolina, so i can definitely attest to the stifling heat and wanting to chop it off! i usually do. this year i've made it past my *need to cut* time frame (usually around jan-march) so i should be in the clear. braids have been my best friend in heat/being outside.

Juanita
May 7th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Braids, buns anything to keep it off your neck and off your face. I live in a tropical to sub tropical area. We are now coming into the dryer time of the year. So now am into lots of oiling/shea butter to stop everything from hair to skin from drying out.

afu
May 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM
maybe everytime you have a big urge to cut set youself a task, such as a new updo to learn/create - should take your mind off it for a little bit at least

mzBANGBANG
May 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I'm going to join you with no cuts this summer. I mistakenly cut a face framing fringe and have been hating my hair ever since. I keep telling myself in four months, I won't be able to tell anymore, so I need to make it four months. I'm here for the support! :D

sisi33
May 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I WILL JOIN YOU! :D I almost always have the urge to cut my hair in the spring and/or summer. I just dont want to deal with it! :justy: That, and it's time to S&D again- last time, I got so fusterated with the lot of 'em, that I cut off an 1 1/2". :mad: Stupid, but I grew an 1" in the last month! Good idea for posting it here- personally, I listen to people on LHC with the "Don't you DARE cut it off!" statements, than my own family.

We can get through it! (Dang heat! I'm made for cold weather, blast it!) :hifive:

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I WILL JOIN YOU! :D I almost always have the urge to cut my hair in the spring and/or summer. I just dont want to deal with it! :justy: That, and it's time to S&D again- last time, I got so fusterated with the lot of 'em, that I cut off an 1 1/2". :mad: Stupid, but I grew an 1" in the last month! Good idea for posting it here- personally, I listen to people on LHC with the "Don't you DARE cut it off!" statements, than my own family.

We can get through it! (Dang heat! I'm made for cold weather, blast it!) :hifive:

I'm going to join you with no cuts this summer. I mistakenly cut a face framing fringe and have been hating my hair ever since. I keep telling myself in four months, I won't be able to tell anymore, so I need to make it four months. I'm here for the support! :D

We can do it!

And will, I think, have an easier time getting through it doing it together. Four months, a couple of inches (give or take) and the raw cuts and heat will be over with. And it's four months, not forever. Finite works for me. (And public proclamations, obviously :p )

Shaun
May 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I think I should join this crowd. Having had a buzz for years and finally deciding to grow my hair out, I completely forgot about the summer heat, and I'm not going to see a nice summer being in the Arabian dessert... :mad: So... No scissors for me either! Besides, it only delays getting to the goal length and if I'm going to have long hair, I have to get use to it anyway.

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Since there are more people interested in joining me than I thought, I'll go make a thread with an easier to remember and find title than 'Making Myself Accountable'.

Because yeah. Summer just sucks. (Also, Arabian Desert? You so have my sympathy.)

shutterpillar
May 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
A couple years ago I cut mine off into a shag cut in mid-july because it was just SO hot. I hated ponytails and hadn't discovered hair sticks at that time, so off it went. BSL to just below chin in 30 minutes.

Dumb idea, and I definitely regret it now, because if I hadn't done that (and didn't make any other dumb decisions between then and now), my hair would be at goal length.

I feel your pain. :( it was 90 degrees this past weekend, but thankfully my hair sticks made it tolerable.

BeckyAH
May 7th, 2012, 05:08 PM
A couple years ago I cut mine off into a shag cut in mid-july because it was just SO hot. I hated ponytails and hadn't discovered hair sticks at that time, so off it went. BSL to just below chin in 30 minutes.

Dumb idea, and I definitely regret it now, because if I hadn't done that (and didn't make any other dumb decisions between then and now), my hair would be at goal length.

I feel your pain. :( it was 90 degrees this past weekend, but thankfully my hair sticks made it tolerable.

You know, it's not so much the heat that kills me - though it does make me miserable. It's that I've got this INSANE halo of frizz going on with my curl, and weirdly all the sudden the top of my hair is flat and from about ear down it goes POOF, and the ends splay out in a billion separate directions and -

Yah. I need hairsticks. If I can't see it, I can't hate it.

sisi33
May 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM
You know, it's not so much the heat that kills me - though it does make me miserable. It's that I've got this INSANE halo of frizz going on with my curl, and weirdly all the sudden the top of my hair is flat and from about ear down it goes POOF, and the ends splay out in a billion separate directions and -

Yah. I need hairsticks. If I can't see it, I can't hate it.

OH NOOO! I had forgotten that would happen! this has my hair written allll over it. You want me to send you a hair stick? Seriously, I just got and order off of eBay *fist shaking at eBay* and I have an odd number of them.

Long_hair_bear
May 7th, 2012, 07:41 PM
When I have the urge to cut, I remember how I looked in short hair..... /shudder...... Ya, summertime does suck for us long hairs and makes you want to cut, but be strong and you'll make it through. A couple good hair sticks and toys will help! :-)