PDA

View Full Version : Want to go blonde. Box dye or go to the hair salon?

ArienEllariel
May 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've got ashy mousy blondette/light brown hair and I really want to go blonde. How does one bleach their hair and/or dye it at home to a medium warmish blonde color? I don't want to go platinum.. just blonde enough to look, you know, blonde.

Or shouldn't I attempt this at home? Recommendations?

Also, if I do this can I still CO with Suave naturals or will I have to completely change my washing routine?

ArienEllariel
May 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I just don't want to end up with orange hair or something like that. Sun-in did that for me several years ago. lol

red-again
May 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
bleach is very drying so it may be better to try a permanent blonde box dye? Try and get one without ammonia as that is noted to be particularly drying and damaging.
You will find you can lighten your natural colour by up to three shades this way and with you being dark blonde/ light brown, you could end up with a really nice light/mid blonde.
Being dark haired myself, I can't give any suggestions as to which one to go for but if you are looking to avoid brassy or orange tones, maybe a dye in the ashy range would work best. Bleach can leave you with brassy tones but the perm dye will be balanced for the colour you select and thus will get your hair to that stage and stop there.
With regards to your CO Suave routine, that will be much less drying than most peoples routines when they have chemically treated hair so I am sure you will be OK. maybe investing in a richer conditioner for your ends might be worthwhile - suppose it depends on your hairs condition and how it takes to the dye.

Just make sure you have a few good oilings before and after you do this. There is good evidence that a heavy oiling with coconut oil before bleach ( left on during the bleaching) is a way to avoid damage. I have heard that you can use it in this way without affecting the result for box dyes too.

Good Luck, can't wait to see pics if you do decide to go for it!

sfgirl
May 7th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I'd try a strand test of either a 20 or 30 developer, with Clairol Kalidacolors blue powder (don't go for the other two colors, they're awful!!!). I believe Clairol also has some wonderful toners that don't require peroxide (which is what you want to stay away from, your hair can usually handle peroxide once, but not twice), and that can help you get the shade you're looking for. Or if it's too bright, try Clairol shimmer lights shampoo (the conditioner doesn't work as well, and it's very harsh, and works almost too well, so I'd dilute it)
Good luck!

swearnsue
May 8th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I looked at your public profile pics and you have very pretty hair, so thick and wavy! I wonder what a cassia treatment would do for your color? It wouldn't lighten it in the traditional sense but it would add tons of shine and give the effect of lighter hair? Maybe? Cassia is good for your hair and scalp. Just a suggestion though, I think you should have the hair color you want even if you have to use dye. Remember you have to take before and after pics too!

Long_hair_bear
May 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
After a terrible experience with bleach I which part of my hair broke off, it's to the hairdressers only for me when it comes to bleach and even then, only one that I trust. I gave up bleach 9 months ago though. :-)

PurplePenguin
May 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have bleached my hair many times and I would still say go to a hair dresser. The only reason I have ever done it by myself is because I have a mother who is very into hair - she has the knowledge of a hair dresser - who taught me how to dye my hair. If you go to a salon (and please make sure its a good salon where they really know what they are doing and care about the customer) they can control the color and make sure you don't go brassy. If you really have your heart set on doing it at home I would go with what a previous poster said and use a permanent blonde box instead of a bleach kit. Or you could go to Sally's (or another beauty supply store) and ask the helpful clerk what you would need to dye your hair blond. Good luck!

sarahbrownie
May 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I'd try a strand test of either a 20 or 30 developer, with Clairol Kalidacolors blue powder (don't go for the other two colors, they're awful!!!).

Yes, I'd take a trip to Sally's! I recommend finding a blonde color in Feria's MegaBlondes (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Blonde-Haircolor/LOREAL58,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH). It lightens up to 4 levels without peroxide, but you have to buy the MegaBlonde developer with it. I think it would be perfect for you if you're already blonde-ish. I think bleach might be too drastic, and you'll have to color over it anyway.

Tia2010
May 9th, 2012, 09:46 PM
There is no way I would ever try to go blond at home (did it once..the color I was left with was... indescribable :p) But on the other hand I went to a salon and they bleach it into a weird yellowish bail of hay :p

But all in all I think I would still choose the salon over box dye blond.