PDA

View Full Version : Need help with VERY flaky scalp

FoxyRoxy13
May 7th, 2012, 01:50 PM
hey everyone,

I'm new on here and I have been reading through some of the posts and articles but there's so much info to sort through I thought I would post my problem and see what you all though.

I am looking for a way to keep my scalp healthy. I have had a flaky scalp forever, well ok maybe not forever lol, since I was 11 or 12 certainly. It's not dandruff or psoriasis as my mom thought when I was a kid. The flakes are very large and are difficult to remove from my hair, when they get bad I usually scratch them all off in the shower with shampoo and my nails, which I'm sure is the wrong thing to do lol. Also when it gets bad, and the flakes peel off, my scalp usually leaks oil, a lot of it, and only in those spots where the flakes came off. I have seen a doctor as well, he gave me some oil stuff to put on my scalp overnight, it was for psoriasis and it didn't help.

I have tried all kinds of shampoos and conditioners for it. Whenever I try something new it usually helps for a week or 2 then it comes back, sometimes worse than before. It does come and go, and by that I mean sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's not so bad lol.

I have used dandruff shampoos, like head and shoulders, I've tried those tar shampoos are whatever they are lol. I have tried a tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner.

Now I haven't really made any changes to my normal shampoo then conditioner routine yet, I'm still sorting through info lol.

In case you need to know I think my hair would be considered 3a/3b M/F ii, and it is fairly long, close to my waist, I haven't measured it yet.

So what I'm asking is what changes to my usual routine would you suggest to start with that might help this? I do only wash my hair about 2x per week, I am allergic to most scents and very sensitive to shampoos and soaps so if I wash my hair more than that the flakes are guaranteed to get bad.

Maybe some more sensitive conditioners for CO washing?

oh and might it be a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo and then start with CO washing? ya know, to get rid of all the gunk from usual shampoo.

seethruugirl
May 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I've always struggled with my scalp...maybe not as bad as you describe but, pretty bad. Once I started applying henna to my hair the majority of it went away. I can usually tell when its time to henna again because my scalp starts acting up. If you aren't wanting to color your hair with henna I recently started doing heavy oilings with some oils I got at a local indian store. I got neem oil and the vatika oil which I combine and soak my hair and scalp in. (I rub my scalp a lot while applying it) There are several ayurvedic oils that help with your scalp. So, you might want to research them. I'm still learning so not a lot of help to you....but, I do like what they do for my hair and scalp. I try to do a good oiling 1-2 times per week!
Scalp problems are so hard...I really wish you the best of luck!

ravenreed
May 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I always had a flakey, itchy, oily mess on my scalp until I gave up shampoo. SLS-products freak out my skin and make it itchy and more prone to oiliness. I have tried several non-SLS shampoos and they weren't much better. I CO now, unless I need to clarify for some reason, in which case I only shampoo my length. I found a conditioner that my hair and scalp can agree on, Suave Wild Cherry, and follow every CO-ing with an ACV rinse. That seems to help both my hair and scalp be happier.

wantlonghair
May 7th, 2012, 08:11 PM
i had a very flaky scalp and saw a dermatologist and she prescribed this special shampoo which has been working, this is the only thing that has worked, and i have had this problem for a long time.

Falcore
May 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Have you tried going WO? It may help to decipher whether the flakes are caused from any product you're putting in your hair (especially because you say you're allergic to a lot of products as well).

There is a whole thread on WO on here if you want to look further into it :)

FoxyRoxy13
May 8th, 2012, 07:45 AM
what's WO? there's so many acronyms on this site lol, is there a place that lists them all with their defiintion? that would be sooo helpful for new ppl like me lol

Katze
May 8th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Welcome here!

WO is washing with water only, moving the sebum (natural hair oil) down the length under a warm shower. Most people clarify - wash with shampoo - occasionally.

WO works well for me for a while and my scalp has been a lot less itchy and flaky since I've been doing it - about two months now. Last time I tried it I had beautiful hair for a long time, then it went waxy, lank, and dull - but I did not know that WO does indeed involve those clarifying washes that are not, in fact, just washing with water. :)

CO is washing with conditioner only. It may be good for your hair since it is so curly - curlier hair needs more moisture than straight, but fine hair needs less. As a fine haired wavy (much straighter hair than yours) I have been trying to find the 'happy medium' for about seven years now. :) MY scalp - also flaky, but more sebhorreic dermatitis - doesn't do well with extended CO, though my hair loves it. I can get away with a CO wash once in a while.

SMT is the other acronym that's helped me :D - that stands for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment, which consists of 1/3 honey, 1/3 conditioner, and 1/3 pure aloe vera gel or juice (I have used both with success). Honey is a humectant so it is good for wavy and curly hair, and it is also antibacterial so it helps stop whatever is going on with your hair.

You did mention a dermatologist but you didn't mention diet, stress, etc. Are you getting enough 'good fats' (Omegas) in your diet? Could you have Candida? Are you under stress? For me, a good diet is key to healthy hair and skin.

good luck!

red-again
May 8th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I posted on here the other week about my daughters' sore scaly scalp. It sounds exactly like what you have.
I have managed to all but rid her of it by doing the following -
oiled her scalp heavily and the lengths too but less heavily overnight with Jojoba oil. Then used a nit comb to pull the flakes through the hair from the scalp the next morning. Not getting them all or she may have had a sore scalp, but as many as came away freely. Then I used a natural, conditioner only - by Aubrey Organics (try and find one without silicones for this stage and with as many natural ingredients as you can find). I used a fair bit of this conditioner and rubbed it into her scalp with my fingertips not nails to stimulate the skin and loosen some of the more stuck on scales.
I then rinsed and rinsed, for a good long while. I then stroked a tiny bit of jojoba oil through her scalp running down her lengths again too.

I would say 90% was gone. i have left her since but will do the same routine tonight.

From now on I will try her on a CO routine (condish only) and oil slightly too as her thick curlyish hair can cope with it without looking lank.

The above may be worth trying before you try the harsh prescribed stuff?

FoxyRoxy13
May 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
thank you for all the great replies and suggestions, I will definitely try a CO wash routine for a while, I'll try oiling my scalp too, if that doesnt work I may try the WO method and go from there.

and I don't believe its seborrheic dermatitis or candida, I googled it and it sounds like those generally come with redness, I generally have none of that except when its really bad and I get the oily spots.

I'm going to look for a conditioner that is very gentle without any scents too, something gentler than what I've been using anyway lol.

If none of that works I may have to visit a doctor again and/or I'll be back for more suggestions!

Sweet Beat
May 8th, 2012, 10:20 AM
My scalp has been a bit scratchy lately and the day before yesterday i tried EVOO. I put it in my hair (especially on the scalp) in the evening and washed my hair the following morning. My hair loved it and so did my scalp! :D It isn't as scratchy anymore and feels less dry :) I definitely recommend EVOO to you too!