PDA

View Full Version : Once your hair is cut- will it ever grow to terminal?

LadyHazel
May 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM
I cut my hair a long time ago from classic to a very short ugly style. My mum says my hair will never grow that long again because I've taken off that length. In addition to this I see people on lhc saying that they don't trim because that's one more inch/half inch taken off of their terminal length. I was under the impression once at terminal the hair would rest and then shed, not growing any further, thus won't the new hairs that grow through repeat the cycle to terminal thus it doesn't matter if you get it cut? So confused need some help I don't have wanted to have stuffed myself up!

Khiwanean
May 7th, 2012, 08:47 AM
There's no reason your hair couldn't grow that long again.

Hair grows and sheds in cycles. Once a strand of hair is cut will likely never reach it's longest potential. However, that hair will eventually shed and begin growing again, so the longest potential for that strand of hair isn't lost forever by any means. Of course, once you factor in damage (mechanical, chemical or otherwise), not ever cutting any given strand of hair could mean you are actually harming it's full potential for length, because of length lost to the damage.

In short, your hair can still grow that long, you just may have to wait longer because individual hairs may not reach the length you want before they shed.

nobeltonya
May 7th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I've heard that if you cut it, it'll grow back stronger/thicker than before.. well, that may only apply if you completely shave it off [which I would never do]. Not sure. :D But I would think, barring any complications or health problems, your hair should grow again.

summergreen
May 7th, 2012, 10:08 AM
As far as I know you have it right, the new hairs will grow to terminal :)

jojo
May 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Ive always thought terminal is based on how strong your roots are, so therefore once the weight of an individual hair is too much for the root, it sheds. I know of one member who is terminal and says if he trims 1/2" off, it grows back exactly 1/2" and then stops. So bearing that in mind, yes your hair should grow back to classic.

Phexlyn
May 7th, 2012, 10:24 AM
There's no reason your hair couldn't grow that long again.

Hair grows and sheds in cycles. Once a strand of hair is cut will likely never reach it's longest potential. However, that hair will eventually shed and begin growing again, so the longest potential for that strand of hair isn't lost forever by any means. Of course, once you factor in damage (mechanical, chemical or otherwise), not ever cutting any given strand of hair could mean you are actually harming it's full potential for length, because of length lost to the damage.

In short, your hair can still grow that long, you just may have to wait longer because individual hairs may not reach the length you want before they shed.
Very good explanation, Khiwanean. :)
Also, hair at terminal length is usually in a fairy tale hemline, i.e. it's not even because the individual hair has not been cut. Uncut hemlines can still be thick, but they're not as blunt as a hemline which has been cut.

Madora
May 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Why shouldn't it grow to terminal? Your hair is constantly shedding and growing so apart from illness as an inhibitor, I don't see why you couldn't reach terminal.

I've cut waist length hair to shoulder 3 times in my life and it always grew back and beyond waist.

Chromis
May 7th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Cut hair can grow to terminal just fine once you stop cutting it.

Also, trims don't make the hair grow faster and wet hair does not give you a cold.

LadyHazel
May 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks ladies!! X

gossamer
May 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Cut hair can grow to terminal just fine once you stop cutting it.

Also, trims don't make the hair grow faster and wet hair does not give you a cold.

LOL. Tell my bf's mom that. She's convinced sleeping with wet hair will give me head arthritis (or something. She doesn't know what to call it in English)

But to the OP, your hairs are made of dead cells, the ends don't communicate to the roots what length they're at. There is no way for hair to "remember" that it's been cut and never grow any longer.

EdG
May 7th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Your hair will completely replace itself over a time period of 1-2 years (shoulder-length) to a decade (knee to ankle length).
Ed

Chromis
May 7th, 2012, 08:35 PM
LOL. Tell my bf's mom that. She's convinced sleeping with wet hair will give me head arthritis (or something. She doesn't know what to call it in English)

But to the OP, your hairs are made of dead cells, the ends don't communicate to the roots what length they're at. There is no way for hair to "remember" that it's been cut and never grow any longer.

Haha, yeah I was thinking if the OP's mum was making silly claims like that, then I would mention a couple of other myths too :lol:

Honeyfall
May 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Does anyone know where this myth actually comes from? I'm curious. I've heard it before, as well as its cousin - the 'If your hair wasn't long when you were younger then you won't be able to grow it long as an adult' wives tale.

jacqueline101
May 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I don't believe it your hair will grow as long as you don't cut it. Terminal length will hit no matter how many hair cuts you have had in your past.

catamonica
May 10th, 2012, 07:52 PM
With time & patience your hair will grow.

lolot
May 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
yeah i didnt have long hair as a child, then i grew it quickly to waist at 13 and cut it and then i had it to tbl and cut it again so hair grows, no matter what was your past