PDA

View Full Version : Hair typing for a newbie... Opinions?

sparrowswing
May 7th, 2012, 12:14 AM
So when I first joined the site, I couldn't find the hair typing thread with pictures (probably because I was searching "hair typing" as opposed to "hairtyping" and not checking the stickies in the forums), but the old guide seemed pretty straightforward. My hair, left to its own devices is straight. I didn't think much about how it might have a bit of a wave where I put it behind my ears or where it drapes on my shoulders. It never occurred to me that the tiny wave at the ends - which seems to develop within an hour of any cut or trim - might indicate my hair is not quite so straight. [Straight? Not straight? I feel like I'm discussing LGBTQ issues here.]

In short, I thought I had 1a hair, but the longer I'm here, the more pictures I see of other 1a/b's, the more I'm wondering if my hair is actually closer to 1b.

I don't suppose it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but I'd still like some opinions. So here's a pic of my hair from yesterday. On the left is less than an hour after washing, so the ends are kind of dry but the rest is still pretty wet. On the right is 4 hours later, where the hair is still a bit damp at the top and completely dry on the bottom third or so. (The extra wave at the bottom left is from how I was sitting at my computer; I didn't realize my hair was resting on the seat until it was too late.) I meant to wait until it was completely dry, but I'm a natural fidgeter and it was really hard to keep myself from messing with my hair during those 4 hours.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz235/CeruleanSiren/LHC/Hair2b.png

Fantak
May 7th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I'd say 1a. It seems straight all the way to the ends in both pictures (except for seat kink).

EmmaDStrange
May 7th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Definitely 1a, mines more of a 1b and I have a lot of body in my hair, not any waves really, but it has a definite shape now that I've stopped straightening it.

Mesmerise
May 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hmm maybe 1a/1b... I always think of 1a as completely utterly straight without even the slightest bend to it. Yours does have a bit of a flip at the ends, which means it's not completely straight, and therefore I'd go with the 1a/1b designation!

Laylah
May 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I'd say 1a. I've never seen hair (even the straightest of straight, like on Oriental asian and scandinavian) that doesn't have a little bend at the end, unless straightened with an iron of course. 1b would have more of a body wave, like 0.5-1.5 wavelengths along the length of hair, IMO.

panffle
May 7th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Looks like 1a to me. Beautiful hair by the way!
My hair is also 1a and gets a bit wavy on the ends, but it's just the way it dries I think. It doesn't look wavy overall.

palaeoqueen
May 7th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I would say 1a, it's beautiful!

pink.sara
May 7th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I would say 1a/1b as mine does exactly the same and flips a teeny bit one way or the other at the ends.

I have a friend who has superfine stright hair that really does do the completely straight-all the way to the ends-as if straightened thing, and she's definitely a 1a.

Kiwiwi
May 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I think 1a/1b. There is some body there (haha! Not somebody ;-p).
I don't think it's truly truly stick straight.

Beautiful hair and colour!! :)

lapushka
May 7th, 2012, 08:38 AM
I'd go with 1a/1b too.

sparrowswing
May 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone! So that's 5 votes for 1a and 4 for 1a/1b. Hmm... Maybe I'll just say 1a until I've done some more with it? I'm planning to try henna in the not-too-distant future, so I suppose I can just reevaluate after that.

mzBANGBANG
May 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I vote 1a/1b. Seems 1a on most of your head, however as you travel down the length I say 1b. It's not uncommon to be "in between," and I think your hair is great example of this. Your hair is also very pretty!

MissManda
May 7th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Also voting for 1a/1b. :)

MonaLisa
May 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
1a/1b..1a is completely straight in my opinion and yours does seem to have a hidden naughty wave here and there ;)