PDA

View Full Version : Beginning the journey anew

Fia
July 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
So...

*sip of coffee*

...back on the hairgrowing train it is. Had a look at my old homepage (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/PhotoAlbum12.html) from the last time I had long hair. I am now at about the same stage as the November 2000 pic - a tiny bit longer but not much. So I know what lies ahead of me.

Difference this time around?

First and foremost - I know this by know - have had it long, taken good care of it. know what products, procedures, things, tools, hairtoys that work. All the experimenting has already been done and dealt with.

Then nothing is coloured - it's all my own colour and I will keep it that way. Last time I was well on my way when I put henna on it. Not that the henna did anything bad mind you - it's good for fine, thin strands like mine - but I did mind the constant upkeep that got harder and harder as hair grew longer. If anything I will go for cassia this time around for the strengthening, but no added colour.

Haven't decided yet on how to do with cutting, trimming - for now I'm letting it grow. Might take up my old contact with the local GM trained hairdresser (if she's still active), might just pop by any old haircuttery to get the ends trimmed. I know I can speak up for myself well enough to avoid getting any cuts I don't want.

No measuring this time either - hair grows at its own pace and leisure. In due time it will come to where it comes. No decisions on length yet - where it feels good or where it stops - we'll see what comes first.

NurseMama
July 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
How great that you know this journey already! I also grew my hair out to waist (using lhc) and then cut it back to shoulder. I finally decided that I want it long again as well. You have a beautiful hairtoy collection btw! Did you keep them all when you went short?

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hi Fia! :waving: I'm delighted that you're starting another journey. I'll be eagerly watching your progress. I think you're right--you know so much more this time around. It's going to be a breeze! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Fia! I really enjoyed looking at your old homepage and seeing the progression of your growth there. It's inspiring. And your hairtoy collection! Just super. I might just have to follow your lead and create a page of my own for my hairtoys since my collection, like my hair, is ever growing!

I wish you the very best on your journey back to long hair! May the splits be few and the growth be good!

TammySue
July 28th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Fia, so nice to see you back! Enjoy your long hair journey! :)

Maravel
July 28th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Fia, that's a great attitude to have, and one that I'm trying to work on.

I have enough stress in life. Growing my hair should be something I enjoy. I think sometimes I lose sight of that, and you brought it back home for me!

Thanks for that, and I'm very happy for you!!

lawyermom
July 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
HI Fia, I'm new, so not quite as far along (psychologically) as you but otherwise we're starting in somewhat of the same place. I look forward to growing with you :)

bex487
July 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Your homepage was really neat! Good luck, and I think your attitude is wonderful.

Pilgrim
July 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
How nice to see you here, Fia! I look forward to hearing about your growing out journey. :smile:

cindy58
July 28th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Sounds like you have a good growing attitude going! I checked out your toy album too -- is the unakite on hair sticks? Those are gorgeous!

trollkjerring
July 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Hi and welcome back, Fia:cheese:

It's so good to see an oldtimer back, this journey will be so much easier now,

trollkjerring

unaspenser
July 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Good for you for not being too obsessive, Fia. Your hair is gorgeous and so is your collection. What's your natural color?

ReadingRenee
July 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Hey Fia! I am happy to see you back! :)

Lady Godiva
July 28th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Welcome back, Fia. Good to see you again. You're basically describing benign neglect as your intended haircare "plan," and it's a good, easy, low-stress method. :thumbsup:

Nightshade
July 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Glad to have you back, Fia! :flowers:

Curlsgirl
July 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Great! Good to see you back!!! :love:

embee
July 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Welcome home, Fia! Benign neglect is my method also, and it is quite stress-free. :)

Chrissy
July 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
It's good to see you back Fia.

Igor
July 28th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Fia!!!!! You have been missed!!
:cheer: :joy: :happydance: :flower: :smooch: :grouphug: :flowers: :hollie: :waltz: :hollie:

Liv
July 29th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Fia, welcome back! When I first joined LHC you where one of my hair idols, so it's nice to hear from you again. :disco:

Nini
July 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM
There you are! I was thinking of you the other day actually:)

Your hairtoy collection is lovely!

Nini

Cinnamon.locks
July 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Welcome back Fia! Glad to have you back and share your growing long again. you were one of my hair idols before the site went down and always go by and visit your site every month or so just to see what's new. love the hair toys, and everything else.

DecafJane
July 29th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Welcome back! The journey is half the fun. ;)

Flaxen
July 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Welcome back, Fia! :grin: Now choose yourself a custom user title ;) and happy growing. :flower:

Isilme
July 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
welcome back! From a fellow swede!

willowcandra
July 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM
woohoo! Hi Fia. Welcome home.

Wind Dragon
July 29th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Fia, welcome back! :flowers:

(ETA, the tone of your post seems so wonderfully laid-back -- new journey, new Fia?)

getoffmyskittle
July 29th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Welcome back, Fia! :waving:

georgia_peach
July 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hello Fia,

Your picture (at pixie) was one of the first I saw when I joined another longhair site. I, too, have hennaed my hair and have been pleased with the thicker texture, etc... But I've been concerned about the upkeep as my hair grows longer. It's currently at 18" with layers. I really want to just let my hair go to whatever length, but I don't think the henna upkeep is going to fit in. I'm thinking that if I am going to get off this henna train, better now than later. Did you let your natural roots grow to a certain length and then just cut off all the color? My roots are very silver and cool brown, so I don't know how long I could wait before cutting. How did you decide and how did you proceed?

Oh, and welcome back!

anna1850
July 30th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Not that the henna did anything bad mind you - it's good for fine, thin strands like mine - but I did mind the constant upkeep that got harder and harder as hair grew longer. If anything I will go for cassia this time around for the strengthening, but no added colour.

I believe, although I could be mistaken, that you can use henna without adding colour, it just needs to be the type where the colour has already been released or something... I don't know much about it but somebody more knowledgable can tell you about it.

Good luck on your journey :)

Isilme
July 30th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I believe, although I could be mistaken, that you can use henna without adding colour, it just needs to be the type where the colour has already been released or something... I don't know much about it but somebody more knowledgable can tell you about it.

Good luck on your journey :)

It's a good idea, but not recommended as henna keeps colouring hair for a very very long time, even if it becomes less. The conditioning effects of henna seems to be the lawsone, the actual colour.

Fia
July 30th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Thanks for all the welcomes back. :D And yes - I'm quite laidback about the whole growing out process this time around - just giving the follicles the time they need to crank out the hair and keep it in good shape while it's happening.

As for the growing out of henna georgia peach - I cut the entire length off in early 2007 so that removed most of the hennaed length. Since then I've kept it cut short and by now I'm back to all natural. It wasn't intended as a means to remove the henna - merely a need to go back shorter for a while.

True henna (Henna Lawsonia) always contains a red dye molecule anna1850 - more or less depending on age/quality/storage/time to get dye release when mixed etc. Colourless henna is usually cassia (Cassia Obovata) that is an entirely different herb with a goldenish dye molecule that on all but white/gray hair does not show up as colouring but just shine and enhanced condition. :D

Misso
July 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Just wanted to give you my best wishes for your intended journey.

joyful373
July 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM
I'll add another welcome back, and I look forward to seeing how your journey progresses :) It's good to see you :flower:

SpiralingWaves
July 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Hello Fia! So good to see you here again! :) It sounds like you've got a wonderfully positive attitude and a good 'game' plan for growing this time around. Hope you enjoy your long hair journey. :D

Rini
July 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Hi Fia :waving: I'm on the journey again too. I remember when you cut your hair (I used to read your journal on the old boards) and I thought it was a very strong decision. I thought about you when I cut all of my hair off, like you it was a decision made for colour.

I'm looking forward to seeing your hair as it progresses :D

spidermom
July 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I remember when you cut your hair at the old LHC, too. You promised a picture of your asymmetrical bob, as I remember it, but none was forthcoming. Then I lost track of you but thought about you from time to time because some of your posts were memorably helpful when I was a newbie. It's nice to see you pop up 'round here.

Amari
July 30th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Welcome back!

Feng-Shui
August 1st, 2008, 06:24 AM
Welcome back Fia.
Nice to see you. :flowers:

Feng-Shui

Juliet's Silk
August 1st, 2008, 06:37 AM
I remember when you cut your hair at the old LHC, too. You promised a picture of your asymmetrical bob, as I remember it, but none was forthcoming.

LOL no one gets to escape the LHC demand on posting pictures! Pictures!
:lol:

jel
August 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
Welcome back, Fia! :flowers: I also benefited a lot, as a newbie, from your excellent advice. But benign neglect is great! :D