PDA

View Full Version : Product Build Up- To Poo Or Not To Poo?

LadyHazel
May 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
So i've got this situation. It's a rather awkward one as far as my "hair rules" go. I recently used: Charles Worthington Salon Results At Home strength and repair kit. It was on offer and it came with a hair repair oil which you left on for ten minutes under a shower cap, shampoo and a mask. Not worth the original twenty pounds mind you so glad I grabbed it on a bargain. Here comes the strangest part of all:

YOU HAVE TO PUT THE OIL ON DRY HAIR :O

I know! DRY hair. And then wash it!

So as you can imagine, It is the day after and I have build up because their heavily ladden SLS shampoo was drying the moment I applied it and I diluted it x100, ridiculous.

SO- My question:

It is the day after, should I clarify my hair to remove the product (it IS incredibly greasy) or just wait until the morning to avoid damaging my hair from a double clarifying process?

Really stuck here as it is greasy and I was always under the impression that product build up was bad, but so is washing your hair everyday? Had a similiar situation last week with an ethnic deep conditioner full of glycerin (which I didnt even see on the back of the packet) and I had to wash my hair FOUR times to get it out.

Thank you :thud:

Carolyn
May 6th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I put oil on dry hair all the time with no problem. Your oil may have had other ingredients, like silicones, that coated your hair and didn't wash out. My guess would be that your diluted shampoo didn't effectively remove the oil treatment. I wouldn't call the situation you describe as "build up". I would call it oil treatment residue. My advice would be to do a CO wash in the morning. Leave the conditioner on your hair quite a while. A lot of us swear by a light, runny, cheapie conditioner for removing oil treatments.

LadyHazel
May 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Little hairs are snapping off all over the place and the product seems to be protein. Too much of it (hydrolysed cellulose), which is the adverse effect. I used silicones 24/7 I am very cone happy and I think over a prolonged period of time this oil + the siliicones have caught up on me leaving my hair somewhat limp, lack luster and lifeless. I may lay off protein treatments from now on unless my hair is breaking off from dying or something because this is ridiculous my hair never randomly snaps off and sheds. Ever. Thanks x

spidermom
May 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I guess if you're sensitive to the ingredients, it might be different, but I've washed my hair three times in a row before to get snake musk out of it, and if anything, it was nicer and more silky afterwards. I think maybe it really need a good clarifying at the time, or who knows - maybe snake musk is a treatment for hair? haha

LadyHazel
May 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Is leaving the protein on longer going to cause more breakage however? I do not want this but at the same time I want to go to bed as if I wash my hair I will have to wait for it to dry (2.5 hours min.) Or blowdry it (eeeek) I just do not know what to do. My hairs currently in a braid as I do not want friction adding to the drama and tangles in the morning ! Thank you x

LadyHazel
May 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Hahaha spidermom, you just never know (coulda had some protein LOL)!

spidermom
May 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
If it were me, I'd wash it out, then spread my hair over the top of my pillow overnight. I do that most nights.

LadyHazel
May 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Thanks I really appreciate it, I think I'm going to leave it as I feel to leave it until tomorrow when I shall clarify, deep condition etc x :)

Carolyn
May 6th, 2012, 07:39 PM
If you have hair that is snapping and breaking off then that is likely caused from too much protein. Lay off the protein for a while. I've found that I can easily over protein my hair. When that happens you need to counteract it with moisture. You probably need to get rid of any silicone that is clinging to your hair and start fresh. That means a clarifying wash and then condition with heavy moisture. A nice rich SMT would be ideal.