PDA

View Full Version : Hair update (pics)

Kayla Nyx
May 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
I've been feeling pretty bad about my hair for a while, ever since I cut it short in January. I've gotten a lot of negative comments from my mom, she ever threatened to make me start straightening and dying my hair so I do something with it! :mad:

No one around me seems to care about my own personal goals, and tend to look at my hair like its some sort of rats nest. It makes me feel sad, and I dont really know how to style it because its short and thick.

But today I looked at the this photo from Jan 22nd, when I cut my hair and went and put the same shirt back on and looked at the length difference. The couple inches I was in about 4 months made me all happy inside and kinda made my day a bit better.

Jan 22nd:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8314&pictureid=124594

Today:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tHds2aK9utw/T6aYEcVbQ6I/AAAAAAAAALk/0fHt4YgXUm4/s512/photo%2520hair%2520update.jpg

woolyleprechaun
May 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Its growing!!! Dont be disheartened, these things happen. Although I would suggest you (politely) ignore others comments on your hair, even family. Those who matter dont mind and those that mind dont matter....:)

meishkamooshka
May 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Its growing!!! Dont be disheartened, these things happen. Although I would suggest you (politely) ignore others comments on your hair, even family. Those who matter dont mind and those that mind dont matter....:)

^^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself!

spidermom
May 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't know why people don't understand that while they're entitled to their opinions, they aren't entitled to beat other people over the head with them. One thing my son tells me when I give "helpful advice" about something is "I already have a plan."

Gingerbear
May 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
It really does look longer! And healthy too!

catamonica
May 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Your hair looks good. Tell your mom your growing it long. Happy growing.

jacqueline101
May 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It looks longer and healthier.

Neneka
May 6th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Your hair looks good. I like the texture and thickness. :) It's beautiful.

I remember how my stepmother thaught me "how to take care of my hair" when I was 16. She told me that hair that's not dyed and styled with heat and products looks too childish. :rolleyes: She was propably trying to help me but she didn't realize that her view just wasn't everybodys' view. I guess your mother is kind of like that too. Propably just trying to help but isn't really helping. Don't let it upset you. :)

heidi w.
May 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I've been feeling pretty bad about my hair for a while, ever since I cut it short in January. I've gotten a lot of negative comments from my mom, she ever threatened to make me start straightening and dying my hair so I do something with it! :mad:

No one around me seems to care about my own personal goals, and tend to look at my hair like its some sort of rats nest. It makes me feel sad, and I dont really know how to style it because its short and thick.

But today I looked at the this photo from Jan 22nd, when I cut my hair and went and put the same shirt back on and looked at the length difference. The couple inches I was in about 4 months made me all happy inside and kinda made my day a bit better.

Jan 22nd:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8314&pictureid=124594

Today:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-tHds2aK9utw/T6aYEcVbQ6I/AAAAAAAAALk/0fHt4YgXUm4/s512/photo%2520hair%2520update.jpg

When is your life your life, and not the property of others to influence or say what goes?

heidi w.

swearnsue
May 6th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Your hair is looking so long and thick! It looks so pretty, I'm not sure what your mom is wanting you to do differently? It's weird you said rats nest, that is exactly how my mom described my hair over 40 years ago...I guess some things never change. Hang in there!

Kayla Nyx
May 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys, ive been trying to deal with her ever since i cut it and its made me so sad. Im glad i can look to you guys for help and comfort :)

Macaroni
May 6th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Wow! It's really growing long.
Please don't be discouraged by your mother's remarks.
I saw my dad for the first time in years and the first thing he said to me was "You wear your hair too long."

Kayla Nyx
May 6th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Thank you (: for the most part I try ignoring her remarks about my hair, but lately its been rubbing me the wrong way..

Cinnamoon
May 6th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Your hair is beautiful, and a lot like mine at that length... I'm very iii, but other than that I think we're hair twins! :) As far as styling goes, have you tried a gibson tuck? That worked so well for me when my hair was the same length as yours, and looks so pretty.

Bunnysaur
May 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
You have such gorgeous hair, and it's definitely growing! Hang in there, don't let people drag you down about your length goals. My fiance keeps saying he'll cut mine short if I let it get past about APL, let's see what he says when I hit waist :p

It's your hair, don't let her mean comments change your goals! Besides, how could she make you straighten it???

Fantak
May 7th, 2012, 12:30 AM
You have such beautiful thick hair! and it grows so quickly! you'll be at tailbone in no time!!

It's hard to hear negative comments from people you love and who's opinion means a lot to you. However seeing you've been unhappy I think your mother is trying to help in her own way. She believes that if you get a change it'll make you feel better. She has a point usually change has a positive effect however you've already decided what change you want. You want to grow it long!

Maybe if you sit down with your Mum tell her that growing your hair is a personal challenge and the change you're looking for and that her support means a lot to you. On the flip side you could keep your hair up around the house that way it'll stop getting on your mum's nerves and it'll be better for your hair.

She's your mother not an 'other' you can just ignore or get rid of. Take it with a little humor and try and accommodate as best you can. It's not worth the anguish. Also she's probably worried about you and wants you to be happy. Tell her how you feel and what you're doing for yourself to help yourself feel better.

HTH :)