PDA

View Full Version : Can hair change colour by itself in a week?

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Hello everyone. :)

Well, I noticed a while ago that my hair looked darker.
I've always called it dark-blonde, but now... some kind of light brown.

The strange thing is that it seems to have happened over a night, in reality I think it happened over a week. Very quick, anyways.
I think my mom noticed it too, or maybe she just wanted me to shut up about my hair. :p

I haven't changed anything. Same washing routines, same products... nothing I can think of that could affect the hair colour.
The only thing I can think of is that I finally got a better income and now eat healthier food. But could that change the colour, and in such short time?

I also thought about hormones, but I eat the same birth control pills as before and haven't noticed anything else hormon...y.

Do you have any ideas? :)
(Good thing is I've always wanted darker hair, whatever is going on, please continue!)

spidermom
May 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Have you clarified in the last month or two? When my hair darkens, it's usually buildup.

pepperminttea
May 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
This'll sound really silly, but has it been overcast there compared to last week?

Or, have you been oiling your hair more? My hair always looks darker when it's a little oilier. :)

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Have you clarified in the last month or two? When my hair darkens, it's usually buildup.

Hm, does just any SLS-free schampoo count as clarifying?

I use that now since I'm out of conditioner. At first I thought about the schampoo being the reason of the darkening, but I've been using it for a while...

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
This'll sound really silly, but has it been overcast there compared to last week?

Or, have you been oiling your hair more? My hair always looks darker when it's a little oilier. :)

It's been pretty sunny! At first I thought it was my bathroom light but I've notices this in all kind of weathers. :p

No oiling either...

Laylah
May 6th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Do you mean the roots are growing in darker or your whole hair changed? I have also heard that some shampoos with henna in them can act as a gloss on those with light hair and darker/redden hair over time.

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Do you mean the roots are growing in darker or your whole hair changed? I have also heard that some shampoos with henna in them can act as a gloss on those with light hair and darker/redden hair over time.

All my virgin hair changed, that's about 10-12 centimeters. It feels like I woke up and it was darker all over (the coloured hair is black and black faded to dark brown so it isn't visible on those parts).

This is the shampoo I use: http://c4.soap.com/images/products/p/alb/alb-439b_1z.jpg

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM
And here are the ingredients, maybe there's something in there darkening my hair?

Water, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, myristamine oxide, cocamidopropyl (mango) fruit extract, citrus grandis (grapefruit) fruit extract, psidium guajava fruit extract, ribes nigrum (black currant) fruit extract, vitis vinifera (grape) seed extract, polyquaternium-10, sodium PCA, disodium EDTA, citric acid (sweet potato) caprylyl glycol, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) oil, geranium maculatum oil, ricinus communis (castor seed) oil, mentha viridis (spearmint) leaf oil, citrus aurantifolia (lime) oil, zingiber officinale (ginger) root oil, limonene, phenoxyethanol.

florenonite
May 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Hm, does just any SLS-free schampoo count as clarifying?

I use that now since I'm out of conditioner. At first I thought about the schampoo being the reason of the darkening, but I've been using it for a while...

Does the shampoo have other sulfates? You need them to clarify.

Diet wouldn't have an effect on your length, and I doubt it would change the colour of your roots, but I suppose it's possible.

MaryMarx
May 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Does the shampoo have other sulfates? You need them to clarify.

Diet wouldn't have an effect on your length, and I doubt it would change the colour of your roots, but I suppose it's possible.

Ah, how stupid of me. :)
Say it's build up, would it be bad for the hair if I didn't clearify? There's no other weird stuff going on except the darkening... which I like!

Oh wait... maybe that's why my hair has such a strong sebum-smell the days after wash... :confused:

spidermom
May 6th, 2012, 10:29 AM
I'm not sure a gentle shampoo is enough to clarify. I usually dilute my shampoo but use it full strength when I need to clarify. I thought that was doing the job, but I clarified with a clarifying shampoo that my husband bought (he doesn't know about clarifying, he just liked the price), and the difference is like night and day.

The only thing bad that can happen if you don't clarify occasionally is that your hair might get limp and dull (without shine). Also tangly.

jacqueline101
May 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Some times mine does it in certain light.

MaryMarx
May 18th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Okey everyone! Clarifying has been made. The hair is still dark. It's all very weird.