PDA

View Full Version : Boys' long hair nicely brushed and styled,this is from India !

ReadHeadGirl
May 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
They have nice,and beautiful hair,looks like that, I have never seen this kind of hairstyle before !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zLyP-F-spQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvmAkH8bFbc

humble_knight
May 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Sikhs treasure their hair very much. It's an important part of their religion. Nice video :)

Kosmos
May 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM
This was a really interesting video. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see how different cultures put different emphasis on hair.

ReadHeadGirl
May 5th, 2012, 11:43 AM
This was a really interesting video. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see how different cultures put different emphasis on hair.

I thought only girls had their hair done by moms :) but I was wrong !

heidi w.
May 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Nice videos One video showed a boy of an age that I believe he could do the braiding himself. Maybe Mom is having a tough time letting go? Just pondering. I notice that a lot of pulling "tight" is going on, and that is bad for hair, unfortunately. I wonder that these boys experience headaches from the hair being drawn opposite its growth direction so tightly? It's interesting to see how other faiths, cultures, and practices handle hair, and value hair, and why.

heidi w.

holothuroidea
May 5th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Nice videos One video showed a boy of an age that I believe he could do the braiding himself. Maybe Mom is having a tough time letting go? Just pondering. I notice that a lot of pulling "tight" is going on, and that is bad for hair, unfortunately. I wonder that these boys experience headaches from the hair being drawn opposite its growth direction so tightly? It's interesting to see how other faiths, cultures, and practices handle hair, and value hair, and why.

heidi w.

I think for Indian families it is common to have a family member do hair or other health/hygiene things for you even if you can do it yourself. It is a bonding/family unity thing from what I understand.

pepperminttea
May 5th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I think for Indian families it is common to have a family member do hair or other health/hygiene things for you even if you can do it yourself. It is a bonding/family unity thing from what I understand.

If so, I'm so envious. I love doing other peoples' hair, and having mine done, but my family don't really do touchy-feely (unless they're tipsy :p ).

Jing
May 5th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ye gods, look how blue that first boy's hair is! Waaah, blue-tinted black and white are my major hair envies. Le whistful sigh.

jacqueline101
May 5th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I think its beautiful how they bond over hair. Its beautiful hair interesting video.

PixxieStix
May 5th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Unique videos, thanks for sharing, I would likely never have found something like that on my own. How fascinating it is to see different cultures and the values they place on hair and see workings of the family.

MaryMarx
May 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM
So cute, and the music in the first one was SO beautiful.

RitaPG
May 5th, 2012, 03:58 PM
In Portugal we do have a minority of Sikhs, and the wrapped, uncut hair is one of their tokens of faith; letting hair grow naturally is a way of respecting God's perfect creation. Not shaving the beard or any body hair is also a part of it.
As a child/ teen, the mother is usually the one who washes, oils and puts the boy's hair up and after they marry the honor is assigned on to the wife. I don't know if this routine is part of the religious rituals or it's just a cultural thing, but it is common practice for the woman in the family to do it.

One thing I notice in here is that some men seem to have extreme breakage, so I am not sure I agree with the way some of them tie the hair. But the wrap seems really comfortable.

ReadHeadGirl
May 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM
In Portugal we do have a minority of Sikhs, and the wrapped, uncut hair is one of their tokens of faith; letting hair grow naturally is a way of respecting God's perfect creation. Not shaving the beard or any body hair is also a part of it.
As a child/ teen, the mother is usually the one who washes, oils and puts the boy's hair up and after they marry the honor is assigned on to the wife. I don't know if this routine is part of the religious rituals or it's just a cultural thing, but it is common practice for the woman in the family to do it.

One thing I notice in here is that some men seem to have extreme breakage, so I am not sure I agree with the way some of them tie the hair. But the wrap seems really comfortable.

So the hair must be so extremely long if they never cut it ??

RitaPG
May 7th, 2012, 01:24 PM
So the hair must be so extremely long if they never cut it ??

Not necessarily. Terminal length changes for everyone, some people's hair doesn't grow much longer than waist, and considering how roughly some of them tie it, they might get a lot of breakage.
(ETA: Just found a couple articles that mention traction alopecia as a common trouble for Sikh men as well)
There's also the thickness factor, it's hard to tell from their hair because it's covered but we notice that by how their beards grow, kinda thick until below APL or chest area, and below that the hair is really sparse and scraggly. Not everyone has super thick hair.
But yes, I expect many of them should have hair quite long.

Shinitori
May 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I love this video. Long hair on guys is......amazing!

Neneka
May 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Fascinating. :)

Shaun
May 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM
I think its rather interesting, its always good to learn about other cultures.

onlyforhim
May 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Sikhs treasure their hair very much. It's an important part of their religion. Nice video :)

That's true they do.not just the hair on their head :)

The video is nice...thanks for posting

clarinette
May 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wow, she's brutal with the kid..........