PDA

View Full Version : Locks of Love alternative?

morguebabe
May 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
So whenever I hear people say "I cut my hair for LoL" and then I tell them what a terrible organization they are, they always ask me next where to donate then?

And then I make this face O_o I don't have an answer.

BeckyAH
May 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Pantene beautiful lengths.

sarahbrownie
May 4th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Wigs for Kids

pepperminttea
May 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Alternatively, if they have particularly healthy long hair in good condition, they could sell it and donate the money to charity. :)

Freckled.Thing
May 4th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Why do you consider Locks of Love a terrible organization? I don't think people with long hair should feel obligated to donate it but I don't think that that means that LoL is inherently terrible.

The only argument against them that I've heard is that hair that is not good enough quality for wig-making is sold, but seeing as the money earned from it is used to pay for the materials and labor to make the wigs I don't think that it's a problem.

Bunnysaur
May 4th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Pantene beautiful lengths.

I second this. I donated my hair to them when I first cut it short.

Alternatively, if they have particularly healthy long hair in good condition, they could sell it and donate the money to charity. :)

That's a really great idea!

Why do you consider Locks of Love a terrible organization? I don't think people with long hair should feel obligated to donate it but I don't think that that means that LoL is inherently terrible.

The only argument against them that I've heard is that hair that is not good enough quality for wig-making is sold, but seeing as the money earned from it is used to pay for the materials and labor to make the wigs I don't think that it's a problem.

Not only do they just sell a lot of the hair, but the hair they decide isn't good enough to be sold is just tossed.

Quixii
May 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM
My sister donated her hair to Pantene Beautiful Lengths. :)

In addition to what Bunnysaur said, they also sell the wigs to kids with alopecia. I just don't like that they willingly deceive/allow people to believe that they donate the wigs to kids with cancer. [link (http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove)]