PDA

View Full Version : What do you say?

fayeelizibeth
May 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Ok, so I've been waiting to get into the boards, and today finally got all joined up :D

Anyway, this is the question I most wanted to ask:

What do you say when someone asks you why you're growing your hair long? Especially when you have it up the grand majority of the time?

I don't have some grand over-arching reason, really, so I was stuck last week when my mother asked me "Wow, you're hair's getting so long, why are you growing it if you keep it up all the time?"...I told her "it's just for me, because I like it" but I got the sense that wasn't really a satisfactory answer (not that I owe her an answer, really, but it would have been nice to have one).

As I have had my hair short, in a mohawk, in a punk-sorta-mullet thing, bleached and dyed, I think me growing it out is the strangest thing to her. Well, no, the fact that I wash my hair with eggs is the strangest thing to her :rolleyes:.

I guess my reason might be because having long hair (like, beyond waist length and on, not that I'm anywhere near that yet!) is even more deviant than cutting it all off, in some ways, and definitely more challenging. Also, it's nice to have a project of sorts to work on, and it's nice to see the results in something as concrete as hair length and condition. And you can do so much with it. Also, I think long hair is romantic (which may be silly, so I don't see myself telling anyone that as a reason if they ask :p).

Anyway, what do you say to people who ask you "why?"

darklyndsea
May 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Because you can't do updos with short hair...and at least for me, it doesn't matter how short my hair is, it won't stay out of my face even if it's physically impossible to.

Speaking of the deviancy of longhairedness...how often do you see people wearing anything other than a ponytail, simple braid, or cinna- or sock bun? Wearing it up is deviant! :D

Carissamarie08
May 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Long hair is funner!

nerdymomma
May 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Because I want to, and DH likes it. That's about all I'd say, though I've never been asked. I might add something about it being easier and cheaper, though it might not be any cheaper if I succumb to the temptation of any more hair toys! I've already bought a new BBB, two combs, two flexi clips and a pair of hair sticks. Happy Birthday month to me... :)

leslissocool
May 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I say what you did, because I like it that way, and it's way easier to deal with the longer it gets. I just put it on a braid!

Truth is, I like it. Satisfactory or not :lol:.

white.chocolate
May 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
I've never been asked that. I guess the people around me either don't care, or think that I like doing up-dos which is why I grow my hair long.

lapushka
May 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Because it's easy to just put it up and out of the way, and it's even easier to do so with long hair than it is with short(er) hair.

Amber_Maiden
May 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Because I think I look better with long hair. Because I have reached a point where I would like to be more feminine. Because it gives me something to do- which is just for me.

pepperminttea
May 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
"it's just for me, because I like it"

See, I think that's a perfect answer. What else is hair for but to be enjoyed by its wearer? :D

Jing
May 4th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I just say I felt like it. No one's commented on the fact that I wear it up all the time yet, but if/when someone does, I'll tell them that it's because I look better with my hair up, and long hair allows for a much greater variety of updo styles. Another advantage of long hair updos over short cuts is that I have about four cowlicks right along my forehead, so long hair is much lower maintenance than a pixie.

maborosi
May 4th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I just tell them 'because I like it'.

Not that very many people actually know how long I've had it / intend to grow it. I don't typically bring up my hair-length goal, since it's not something I really find appropriate for most conversation without getting awkward looks.

~maborosi~

Khiwanean
May 4th, 2012, 02:35 PM
"Because I like it that way."

Siiri
May 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I've never been asked that. I guess the people around me either don't care, or think that I like doing up-dos which is why I grow my hair long.

I haven't been asked it either. Most people don't seem to notice I'm growing out my hair. It's a gradual change, and I've been wearing it up since I was able to do so, and you know, hair isn't very a important thing to most people, so it's understandable. The only hair comments I've gotten were about how frequently I seem to change my hair colour nowadays, which is odd since I haven't dyed it in over two years now:rolleyes:

sugar&nutmeg
May 4th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Because wearing long hair up 'most of the time' is not the same as having short hair.

Short hair which has few styling options.

Short hair which requires more maintenance and outlay of $$$.

Short hair which goes from "yikes-post-haircut too short" to "eeehhh, okay" to "yikes-I-need-another-haircut" every 6 weeks. No-than-kew.

Besides simply loving my long hair, at my age (late 50s) I like that it helps define me as counter-cultural...which, I suppose, is another way of saying 'deviant'. :)

Madora
May 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I don't think I've ever been asked this question either.

But I agree with Darklyndsea...you rarely see a long hair in my area who knows how to style their hair, which is a pity since having long hair offers so many options for creative hairstyling.

I don't particularly care for the word deviant...so I'll say that I'm a long haired maverick instead!:)

FancyFrantic
May 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
because i'm a university-student and getting a haircut all the time is just to expensive :)
because it's less work! sure I take care of it but it doesn't require hours of styling like my curly shortcut did.
and because when my boyfriend and I gut together his hair was longer than mine. not that that's so significant but i wanted to outdo him. (he's got dreads now so challenge is over...)

spidermom
May 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Because when I have the time and inclination to enjoy my long hair, I can let it down. I couldn't do that if I had short hair.

DarkCurls
May 4th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I love leaving my hair down... But I only do it on first or second day hair. :p Really, the reason I want to grow my hair long is so I can have flowing, hip-length hair, just because I like the way it looks. But I do put it up quite often during this growing-out process... And I'm finding another advantage to long-ish hair. Putting it up is actually fun.
Really! I've been in an updo frenzy for the past week, trying out rope braids/buns for the first time, doing weird Dutch/French thingies, half-up half-down crown braids (my all-time favorite)... I just have so much fun playing with my hair. (Well, I put it up and it stays like that for the day; I don't actually play with it because I'm scared of damage.) There are so many styles you can't do with short hair (... can you do any?). It's not the same thing, having a pixie cut and having long hair pulled up into a bun/twist/other. For one thing, long hair is (according to me) more versatile. You can wear it down or up. And when you do wear it up, you can do lots of things.
My two cents. :)
Gee, I wonder whether my mom will ask this question soon. She's been shooting weird looks at my hair all week, and I told her today (when I realised I was -finally- at waist-length) that I wanted to grow it to hip-length... Yeah, that called for even weirder looks.
I've never been asked this question, but I think that when/if I am, the person is going to get a long lecture on the coolness of long hair. :D Poor guy.

oktobergoud
May 4th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Because I got bored of short hair :P

earthnut
May 4th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Long hair is easier to care for. No styling, no praying that my curls dry just so.

It looks better. With my hair, anything between 1 inch and ponytail looks awful and is always getting in my face. I wore a lot of scarves at that length, but I'd rather have a ponytail or an updo.

Being able to do lots of updos is fun. I get so much more variety out of my hair than at shorter lengths. I can have it long, short, and anywhere in between.

And one reason I wouldn't tell others because they wouldn't understand: Long hair tests how well I take care of my hair. If I mistreat short hair, it doesn't really matter because I'm going to cut it off soon anyway. But if I mistreat long hair, it'll stick around for a while so I can really see what's best for my hair.

Anje
May 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Because I want it this way, and I have the patience to do it.

Alvrodul
May 4th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I like it long. what other answer is needed?

Besides, with long hair, I have more options!:D

rosieposie
May 4th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I find this quite a personal question, especially when it comes from someone I don't know very well and (in my experience) is usually accompanied by a look that says "my short hair is better". So I like to have fun with my answer.

I just start by getting very excited and telling them that I loooove hair toys......then I explain what hair toys are and how they differ from the cheap nasty ones at the local chemist.

I tell of my favourite makers individually and why each one is so good. I continue with my favourite updos and which craftspersons items hold each one best. I will even sneek a bit of my haircare routine in there, not forgetting the reasons why it works best for me.

By the time I have finished the enquirer is usually struck dumb, exhausted, driven half insane (by the look on their face) and I am certain they will never ask me that question again. I really enjoy doing this :eyebrows: :evil:

The real reason is simply because I want to have long hair.:D

MsBubbles
May 4th, 2012, 04:54 PM
"Because *I* like it, and the significant-other likes it".

For the wearing it up all the time question:

"I like wearing it up!".

Nobody can really argue with what you like because it's your opinion alone, nobody else's.

Tisiloves
May 4th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Because I like updos. :)

dwell_in_safety
May 4th, 2012, 06:49 PM
It's just always been what I've wanted. I've had long hair, for the most part, since before high school. Granted, it was in crappy condition, but it's usually been there. It's just... me.

EdG
May 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hair is supposed to be long. Why else would it grow long? :ponder:
Ed

sycamoreboutiqu
May 5th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Most concise answer

"Because I can".

Why ? "Why not ?"

But I like Eds answer too, this is what hair is supposed to do. Every woman in my grandmother's generation had long hair - it wasn't until those darned flappers that women started cutting it.

clarinette
May 5th, 2012, 03:49 AM
My personal reasons , that I probably wouldn't share with the world , are a bit politically incorrect / could potentially lead people to give me strange looks .
they include : "my partner finds it hot" (where is your feminism , woman ?), "I want to stand out in a crowd" (narcissistic much ?) "it feels completely erotic when it swishes against my naked body " (pervert!!) "I wouldn't feel feminine with short hair" (are you saying I look like a dude?) "my mother wouldn't let me have long hair as a kid" (I know a good psychologist if you want ).
So I just say "I just like it". When an annoying person asks, in a judgmental tone, I may or may not have replied before that it was against my religion to cut it, then they asked what my religion was, and I might have answered "pastafarism".

Criosdan
May 5th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Because I want to. ;)
(The erotic feeling of swishing against the back is one other imortant reason, too)

angelshair
May 5th, 2012, 04:35 AM
My personal reasons , that I probably wouldn't share with the world , are a bit politically incorrect / could potentially lead people to give me strange looks .
they include : "my partner finds it hot" (where is your feminism , woman ?), "I want to stand out in a crowd" (narcissistic much ?) "it feels completely erotic when it swishes against my naked body " (pervert!!) "I wouldn't feel feminine with short hair" (are you saying I look like a dude?) "my mother wouldn't let me have long hair as a kid" (I know a good psychologist if you want ).
So I just say "I just like it". When an annoying person asks, in a judgmental tone, I may or may not have replied before that it was against my religion to cut it, then they asked what my religion was, and I might have answered "pastafarism".

YES! This exactly.. I've yet to understand why some people think it's so horrible to do anything to make yourself more attractive to the person you love. I mean, he's the one who hopefully is going to get turned on by you the rest of your life, seems only natural to me, if it's not something that goes against what you believe. Just so happens that I feel sexier with long hair too. :) I totally agree with the erotic swishing thing too, and it makes me more aware of different parts of my body when the hair hits new landmarks..

But when someone asks I basically say "because I've always wanted to" if it's someone who wouldn't understand. Otherwise I might add "I wanted to know how far it will grow, it's like a challenge".

Tisiloves
May 5th, 2012, 05:41 AM

I have been touched by His noodley appendage, and know of His horror of short hair. Ramen!

MonaMayfair
May 5th, 2012, 05:53 AM
they include : "my partner finds it hot" (where is your feminism , woman ?), "I want to stand out in a crowd" (narcissistic much ?) "it feels completely erotic when it swishes against my naked body " (pervert!!) "I wouldn't feel feminine with short hair" (are you saying I look like a dude?)

LOL, I agree with all of these (anyway I hate political correctness!)

Actually, no-one's ever asked me and I've had long hair most of my life. But if they did (having now experienced short hair when I had it cut a couple of years ago) I'd also say that long hair is SO much easier (and cheaper) to look after.

embee
May 5th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Because I always wanted to see how long my hair would grow, I like it this way, an updo will keep it out of my face (tickly tickle itchy itch), because it's cheaper and I'm a tightwad...

But really *because I prefer it long*. :D

misspurdy06
May 5th, 2012, 08:45 AM
If you want to be polite whilst not giving them an answer because you don't owe them one say "Personal Preference"

dulce
May 5th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Because you have many more style options and it's fun!

Nilyenea
May 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have not "cut" my hair since the time that I went to the salon with waist length hair and came back with it cut so that it just covered my ears. My husband had a fit. He also went and got his hair cut super short, only about a quarter of an inch long. We made a deal. I won't cut my hair short again (like that's a bit deal for my I prefer my hair long), and he'll cut his no shorter then what I ask him to ;). Reason I'd had it cut off was I was getting rid of bad color and dead/split ends before I started my new job. He didn't realize that lol. Since it's been growing back out I just tell people that I made a deal with my husband so we're both happy and I that I prefer my long hair so I can wear it in different styles when I don't have to keep it up for work.

heidi w.
May 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Because I like it that way or because I want it that way is a fine answer. You don't have to have a reason or explain your reason for existing. You are who you are: if they get to not explain and justify themselves and whys to you, then you can do likewise with them. Don't let people make you feel defensive. It almost never works.

heidi w.

mzBANGBANG
May 5th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I always say I want to see how long I can grow it before I get sick of it. 100% truth. Considering I'm already halfway sick of it, I'd say no longer than tailbone.

jacqueline101
May 5th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Welcome and I hope you like us. I hope you have found the help you're needing. I do think you have the perfect answer. You have to be happy with your hair.

racrane
May 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I just say I like it that way. People sometimes pry further but often that's the answer they get. Also, I just feel prettier. :)

palaeoqueen
May 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
It's not a question that's come up yet but if/when the time comes my answer will be "because I want to" and that'll be the end of it.

lolot
May 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
"because im too lazy to go to a hairdresser" :P

swearnsue
May 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM
I find this quite a personal question, especially when it comes from someone I don't know very well and (in my experience) is usually accompanied by a look that says "my short hair is better". So I like to have fun with my answer.

I just start by getting very excited and telling them that I loooove hair toys......then I explain what hair toys are and how they differ from the cheap nasty ones at the local chemist.

I tell of my favourite makers individually and why each one is so good. I continue with my favourite updos and which craftspersons items hold each one best. I will even sneek a bit of my haircare routine in there, not forgetting the reasons why it works best for me.

By the time I have finished the enquirer is usually struck dumb, exhausted, driven half insane (by the look on their face) and I am certain they will never ask me that question again. I really enjoy doing this :eyebrows: :evil:

The real reason is simply because I want to have long hair.:D

LOL, you are so funny! I'm going to try your method next time my mom asks me why I have SO MANY DOGS? (I only have 3 small ones, geez.)

jeanniet
May 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
"Because I want to." But no one ever asks. I think they must be used to my stubborn independent streak by now. :wigtongue

fayeelizibeth
May 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Everyone's answers are so interesting, I love them!

Thank you for your thoughtful answers, it's so cool to see all the different reasons people have for growing their hair long :)

hairconvictions
May 7th, 2012, 03:10 AM
My first reply is usually something to do with my religious reasons for doing it- just because I get less back talk that way. And then I'll explain that I love my hair regardless, and I wouldn't want it short even if I wasn't religious.

pink.sara
May 7th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Because the last time it was long it was beautiful.

And the vain part of me wants to hear the "oh my god look at that girls hair!!" comments again rather than just being another girl with a bob!

Melolf
May 7th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Felt like it would be a favourite, also, to keep them out of my face and nape when it's hot.