PDA

View Full Version : Having to use cheaper hair products

Phalaenopsis
May 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
So I'm a SLS and silicone-free person, I only very occasionally use a SLS shampoo to clarify. I've found a routine that works, but it consists of using two kinds of shampoos and 4 kind of conditioners in rotation. The shampoos are expensive, respectively 10 and 13 euros for a bottle and the conditioners are abou 7 euros and one over 16 dollars... And with my length and thickness I use quite a lot. Also, all the conditioners need to be ordered from the US, also giving me shipping costs...

The problem is, soon I won't have much money to spend each month. Actually none, since it will all be going to health care and whatnot. The only thing I can nibble on are my beauty products. I'll need to open another thread on washing gels and lotions, because the big problem is... I have sensitive skin.

I know cheap siliconefree conditioners and shampoos. I was thinking about using the Ultra Doux (Ultra Natural/ Ultra Beauty) avocado and sheabutter conditioner and shampoo. The problem is that my scalp doesn't really like SLS... For years I had a little bit of redness and dandruff after washing my hair. And then I stopped using SLS and that problem was gone, and it also gave me shinier hair. But now, when I use a SLS shampoo too often, I get quite itchy. Now I was wondering if my scalp could get accustomed to this again? Ofcourse accepting that I will have a bit dandruff again and my hair will lose some shine (although it isn't really anymore, because I have damaged hair).

How do other people deal with this, who have sensitive skin but don't have much budget to spend?

Vanilla
May 4th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Jason naturals makes an SLS free shampoo for about $8 us. Their conditioners have cones in them, but their shampoos are good and basic.

I also have a sensitive and oily scalp and I haven't had a problem using these shampoos.

Also, you can dilute the more expensive shampoo in with other less expensive products that are fragrance free. I did that all the time when I was short on cash in college.

swearnsue
May 4th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Maybe stretch washes? That would decrease the amount of products used/needed right away. Can medical bills be made in payments over time? Negotiate with doctors for a lower fee per visit? For medications, ask for free samples every visit, they extend the prescriptions by a week or more each time. Find sympathetic store managers and ask if they have any damaged hair products that they would sell you for a drastic discount? There are always damaged stock in the warehouse that managers would love to get rid of but don't want displayed on the shelves. Good luck, hth.

gogirlanime
May 4th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I am writing a LHC beginners article for two of my co-workers and have learned a lot for myself during the process.

This is what I found:

V05 conditioners (a saving grace for hair and your pocket) - ($1 at dollar store and often 3/$2 at drug stores)
Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioners - (run between $4-$9 depending on where you buy)

-V05's Tea Therapy Revitalizing Blackberry Sage Tea (white) (no cones, sulfates, or protein)
-V05's Repair & Protect Strengthening (white) (no cones, sulfates, or protein)
-V05's Herbal Escapes Strengthening Pomegranate & Grapeseed (orange) (no cones, sulfates, or protein) one of the best conditioners out there!
-V05's Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Free Me Freesia (purple) (no cones or sulfates) good if you need protein
-V05's Tea Therapy Clarifying Vanilla Mint (white) (no cones, sulfates, or protein) one of the best conditioners out there!
-Aubrey Organics (no cones, sulfates or protein and all-natural)
-Garnier Triple Nutrition Cream Conditioner (no cones, sulfates, or protein)
-Garnier Extra Nourishing Cream Triple Nutrition (no cones, sulfates, or protein)

-Aubrey Shampoo (runs for about $14 in natural shops but about $7-$8 on online vitamin stores)
-Dr. Bronners Castile Soap (the best place to buy is GNC because you can get your 20% off with your discount card and often they have a Buy one Get one 1/2 off sale so you can get 2 32oz bottles for about $18 and they last forever)
Kiss My Face Shampoos (at drug stores these sell for about $6-$8 and on online vitamin stores about $4)

-Aubrey Organics Egyptian Henna Shine-Enhancing (no sulfates or cones, does have protein)
-Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern Treatment (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra Smoothing (no sulfates or cones, does have protein)
-Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Dr. Bronners Magic Pure-Castile Soap Tea Tree (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Dr. Bronners Magic Pure-Castile Soap Lavender (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Dr. Bronners Magic Pure-Castile Soap Rose (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Dr. Bronners Magic Pure-Castile Soap Peppermint (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Dr. Bronners Magic Pure-Castile Soap Almond (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Kiss My Face Big Body Lavender & Chamomile (no sulfates, cones, or protein)
-Kiss My Face Miss Treated Palmarosa Mint (no sulfates, cones, and very little protein)
-Kiss My Face Whenever Green Tea & Lime (no sulfates or cones, has protein) the best ingredients!

ravenreed
May 4th, 2012, 11:59 AM
My skin keeps getting more and more picky as I get older. I had to give up SLS completely. My skin and scalp hate it. I haven't yet found an non-SLS shampoo that did anything for my hair. I stick to CO'ing with a cheapie conditioner- Suave Wild Cherry. I am glad it is so cheap because my hair has a bottle a week habit. I don't know what to suggest because you are overseas, but all I can say is that more expensive doesn't always mean better. I have tried so many expensive versions and I keep coming back to my cheapie conditioner. The more expensive ones either make my scalp freak out, or my hair freak out.

As for what I wash with, again I don't know what you can get over seas. I switch between Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Bronners-Magic-Soaps-Pure-Castile/dp/B00120VWJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336154056&sr=8-1) and Nature's Plus Beauty Bar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00014EKJC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00). The beauty bar works out to be a little expensive because one bar only lasts me one month, but my skin is so much happier. The Dr. Bronners has replaced all our liquid hand soaps in the house, besides just a body wash. So I buy a big bottle and dilute it quite a bit. Again, I think my family goes through a bottle a month. But youngest son has red hair, and that often comes with delicate, problematic skin. I started using Dr. Bronners when he would get alligator skin on his hands from regular SLS hand soaps.

Phalaenopsis
May 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I use 3 Aubrey Conditioners and one Avalon conditioner at the moment. And I looove them. But it's annoying to get them from overseas and when you compare them to a cheap drugstore conditioner, they're expensive. Ditto on the shampoo. 10 euros when I can have shampoo for 2 euros. 7 euros when I can have a conditioner for 2 and a bit euros. Ofcourse, the latter one gets used up more quickly. And for me, they work better, but... it's quite some money each month.

ravenreed
May 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Are there any local brands that compare in ingredients? The only other option I can suggest is to make larger orders to save on shipping. You may have to save up though. I know how it is to have to budget for these things, alas.

Phalaenopsis
May 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Are there any local brands that compare in ingredients? The only other option I can suggest is to make larger orders to save on shipping. You may have to save up though. I know how it is to have to budget for these things, alas.

Sadly, no :( Because then I'll have customs on my back... And I'll get a big tax fine.

ravenreed
May 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ew! I am sorry to hear that, I keep forgetting about customs. :(

Sadly, no :( Because then I'll have customs on my back... And I'll get a big tax fine.

white.chocolate
May 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I use SLS-free, sulfate-free, 'cone-free products, too, and I try to be as cheap as possible. What I do is use just 1 shampoo. Not exactly the cheapest, but it doesn't give me itchiness and dandruff, and I like the results. So, in the end, it's a shampoo that works for me.

Believe it or not, I gave up on conditioner. At least for now, because I don't want extra spending (yes, extra). I haven't even found a conditioner that I'm thoroughly satisfied with yet. Instead, I use oil as a leave-in. I actually like how oil works for me. I use oil however much I need. Oil is cheap, and I use only a couple of drops after each wash. During non-wash days, I mist my hair with EVOO and water. Cheap. I also agree with stretching washes. Good luck!

lapushka
May 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Why don't you try the Urtekram shampoos (sl(e)s free). They have a no perfume version, so it's good for sensitive skin. They can be ordered from Colruyt's bioplanet and cost between (I think) 6 to 8 euros for a 500 ml bottle, so it's quite a big bottle. This makes it about 3 to 4 euros for a 250 ml bottle, making it about the same price as a regular brandname (Garnier, Gliss Kur, etc.) shampoo. The conditioners are more pricy though.

Phalaenopsis
May 4th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Why don't you try the Urtekram shampoos (sl(e)s free). They have a no perfume version, so it's good for sensitive skin. They can be ordered from Colruyt's bioplanet and cost between (I think) 6 to 8 euros for a 500 ml bottle, so it's quite a big bottle. This makes it about 3 to 4 euros for a 250 ml bottle, making it about the same price as a regular brandname (Garnier, Gliss Kur, etc.) shampoo. The conditioners are more pricy though.
I just did! ^^ As a last attempt to find a cheap sls-free shampoo. I once had the lavender shampoo, my scalp really hated it, it got so greasy and itchy. And now I bought the Rhassoul shampoo, I really wished it would work, but it dries out my length incredibly and gives me very tangly hair :s

stkl
May 4th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Lavera do good shampoo's
I use the almond one for sensitive scalps and hair. It sells for about eight euros in shops but you can find it much, much cheaper online.

Alternatively if you look at some baby shampoos they are sulphate free, and can very cheap. :)

ravenreed
May 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM
My scalp and hair need two different things. My scalp is very oily and my length is perpetually dry. On the rare occasions that I need to clarify, I only apply SLS shampoo from the ears down. I use certain treatments only in the scalp area. What if you tried the lavender shampoo from ears down, and the rhassoul shampoo on the scalp? Just a thought.

I just did! ^^ As a last attempt to find a cheap sls-free shampoo. I once had the lavender shampoo, my scalp really hated it, it got so greasy and itchy. And now I bought the Rhassoul shampoo, I really wished it would work, but it dries out my length incredibly and gives me very tangly hair :s

pepperminttea
May 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I feel your pain, I had to search out cheaper options after losing my income. If you can't find anything where you are, would it be worth trying some natural brands from within the EU instead of US ones? That would mean no customs fees so you could buy in bulk and save on shipping, I think? (At least, that's how it works in the UK ordering from somewhere in the EU, hopefully it's the same for you. :) ) I don't know any companies in mainland Europe, but I've found a handful in the UK:

Pure Nuff Stuff (http://purenuffstuff.co.uk/)
Oakwood Aromatics (http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/) (shampoo bars)
Faith in Nature (http://www.faithinnature.co.uk/Hair-Care/C/2) (their shampoos are ALES-based)
Dr. Organic (http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/Dr-Organic.asp)
Green People (http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/hair-care.aspx)

There are others but those are the first that come to mind. They're not super-cheap, but they might still be worth a look.

cfreya
May 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I don't know where you are, but when I am in France I have seen Garnier Triple Nutrition, which I love, in the cone free formula on sale in Carrefour, which is a big supermarket, not very expensive

spidermom
May 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Doubling up on the ways you use the products you buy is pretty thrifty. For example, I use coconut oil on my hair, also my feet, my shins, and my face. Oh, and on things like abrasions, too; it's so soothing.

GrowingGlory
May 4th, 2012, 02:21 PM
1) Dilute shampoo in water or white tea before applying to hair. You'll use less.
2) Buy in bulk (bring your own bottle).
3) Buy a case of product if the merchant will discount it.
4) Try dilute soap nut liquid.
5) Try tea, diluted vinegar, and/or baking soda.
6) This may be an opportune time to try NW/SO or WO.
Good Luck!

Amber_Maiden
May 4th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Agh... Most of the time I will spend the extra money on better hair products, even though I can't afford it. I found the cheaper products to be filled with things I didn't want, chemical wise, and that didn't work with my hair the way I wanted them to. I ended up finding my HG product for my hair, but it doesn't come cheap.

When I was trying cheaper products, I would end up wasting a lot of money and tossing them or putting up with bad feeling hair. I tied using my own mixes of the most natural things I could find- like herbs and WOing.

earthnut
May 4th, 2012, 03:57 PM
There are a few options:

Dilute the products you already use.

Stretch your washes.

Go to water only or no water/sebum only. Most using those methods use oil as a conditioner when necessary.

Experimenting with new products will probably be more expensive because most of them won't work as good for your hair as the ones you already know and love. (in the short term anyway)

I went from shampoo only, to mostly conditioner only, to stretching washes, and now am doing mostly no water (no commercial products anyway). It took years to go from shampoo to no water, but I was also taking it very gradually. So far my hair is doing very well with no water.

torrilin
May 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I'd think there'd be pharmacies or chemist shops in Europe that cater to folks with sensitive skin. Most in the US don't, but there will generally be one in any given town that stocks many products that meet the strictest US labeling standard (that being "fragrance free"). While my skin isn't as super duper sensitive as my sister's, I do make a point of shopping at the two stores in town that cater to those of us who need specific sorts of products. (just spent about $50 at one of 'em today in fact, to buy my sister a Just Because present)

I know in Europe the standards for hair and skin care products are rather a lot stricter than they are here, so I'd think there'd be a lot of options. The problem isn't necessarily going to be a lack of products... it's going to be finding a shop that's specialized enough that they can point you to the shelf of products that would work, and help you narrow things down. If they're only stocking one or two things... really unhelpful.

Once you're dealing with products made in the EU, you should be able to cut your costs very substantially.

lapushka
May 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
If you have no other choice but to go with a sl(e)s shampoo, I'd go for the brand "Neutral". It is for sensitive skin, I think. At least it doesn't contain a lot of the irritants that other brands might have. Here's their site BTW: http://www.neutral.nl/ ETA: they have a regular and an anti-dandruff shampoo.

Phalaenopsis
May 5th, 2012, 02:10 AM
If you have no other choice but to go with a sl(e)s shampoo, I'd go for the brand "Neutral". It is for sensitive skin, I think. At least it doesn't contain a lot of the irritants that other brands might have. Here's their site BTW: http://www.neutral.nl/ ETA: they have a regular and an anti-dandruff shampoo.
Is it cheap? I have never seen this brand before, where do you get it?

Gogobaby
May 5th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I recommend Vatika Darbur shampoo - free of chemicals. And washing only twice a week :)

Gogobaby
May 5th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention you can buy it in Asian (Indian or Pakistani) grocery stores, and it's not expensive x

morrigan*
May 5th, 2012, 03:05 AM
From where are you ? Do you have dm stores (from Germany)? You can get Alverde brand there, 250 ml bottle for 2,5 eur and their products are really thick so you can dilute it quiet a bit.
Also i can get Avalon Organics for 8 eur per bottle here in French chain supermarket and also some others and i live in very small country, where is pretty hard to get stuff like that. I also can get Aubrey Organics here in small eco types stores. So it would be good to look around first.
Also i recommend you to dilute things, this way i have one bottle of Avalon Organics for almost half a year (I also use other stuff).

Phalaenopsis
May 5th, 2012, 04:52 AM
From where are you ? Do you have dm stores (from Germany)? You can get Alverde brand there, 250 ml bottle for 2,5 eur and their products are really thick so you can dilute it quiet a bit.
Also i can get Avalon Organics for 8 eur per bottle here in French chain supermarket and also some others and i live in very small country, where is pretty hard to get stuff like that. I also can get Aubrey Organics here in small eco types stores. So it would be good to look around first.
Also i recommend you to dilute things, this way i have one bottle of Avalon Organics for almost half a year (I also use other stuff).

I'm from Belgium. And my God, are you lucky! I wish I could buy avalon and aubrey just in the stores.

lapushka
May 5th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Is it cheap? I have never seen this brand before, where do you get it?

They have it in Kruidvat, but not where all the shampoos are; where the Kneipp and Therme showergels are, the whole range (showergel, deodorant, ...) is there.

morrigan*
May 5th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I'm from Belgium. And my God, are you lucky! I wish I could buy avalon and aubrey just in the stores.
That's weird i would think you could get it in store. Maybe you can find some french or other online shops ?