PDA

View Full Version : A thought re: hair models

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Those women must secretly HATE their hair! Think about the shampoo ads, with the hair all mushed up on top of their heads... all the dyes, products, heat styling... :hmm: :shake:

Hair sadists promoting hair care products! Bwahahahahaaahahaha :D :D :D

Kuchen
July 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
One of the girls at my school was a hair model, and she certainly didn't hate her hair, but treated it like antique lace. :shrug: The ad photos are only a day's work.

Hatsumomo
July 28th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I have my doubts about the products actually being used in some of the adverts. Especially the dye ones where the colour seems too natural to possibly be a box-dye.

GlassEyes
July 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Hair's a lot stronger than a lot of people think. xD I don't think they hate their hair, so much as treat it like everyone else in the world seemingly does.

darl_in1
July 28th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Those women must secretly HATE their hair! Think about the shampoo ads, with the hair all mushed up on top of their heads... all the dyes, products, heat styling... :hmm: :shake:

Why does this mean they must hate their hair? I don't understand. I dye and heat style and use products and I certainly don't hate my hair. I love it. I wouldn't call myself a hair sadist either.

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry, it sounds like I've caused offence. I was only joking, I meant it to be a lighthearted jest and sincerely regret causing any bad feeling.

:flower:

bex487
July 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I read an article about hair models a couple years ago, and found it fascinating. Did you know that when they get the hair to look all shiny and glowing, it's because they're holding a special light underneath it?

Anyways, I think hair models know what they're in for and it's just part of the job. I have read that very few actually use heat styling/dye products during their "off" time to let their hair alone.

JessTheMess
July 28th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I was a model several years ago and one of my jobs was for a popular hairproduct line. What the stylist did to my hair made me never do another hair job again. She backbrushed my entire head of hair...which was waste length at the time, and it was a terrible mess to get out of my hair, not to mention the damage and splits it caused. I had to soak my whole head in heavy conditioner for hours and rinse and finger detangle and recondition. What a mess it was.

DeepRiver
July 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
This thread is going to make me look at hair advertisements in a whole different light now!!

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
This thread is going to make me look at hair advertisements in a whole different light now!!

This thread just makes me want to crawl under a rock and hide! I think I just wound up a lot of people and made myself sound like a judgemental idiot. D'oh! I'm glad it sounds like it made you chuckle a bit though. :)

Siava
July 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I was a model several years ago and one of my jobs was for a popular hairproduct line. What the stylist did to my hair made me never do another hair job again. She backbrushed my entire head of hair...which was waste length at the time, and it was a terrible mess to get out of my hair, not to mention the damage and splits it caused. I had to soak my whole head in heavy conditioner for hours and rinse and finger detangle and recondition. What a mess it was.

EEEK! Just reading that made my skin crawl.

Darkhorse1
July 28th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I read an interesting article awhile back about hair ads. Apparently, they MUST use the product they are advertising for. Meaning, they must use the shampoo, conditioner or whatever they are advertising for, on the model, or else it's considered false advertisment.

Secondly, like someone said, they not only use perfect lighting, they use a million other products to get the hair to lay flat and shine, plus, touch ups after the photo is taken. Basically, it'd be hard to have a bad hair day if someone took a photo of your hair the way they do for ads. :)

Buddaphlyy
July 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I read an interesting article awhile back about hair ads. Apparently, they MUST use the product they are advertising for. Meaning, they must use the shampoo, conditioner or whatever they are advertising for, on the model, or else it's considered false advertisment.

Secondly, like someone said, they not only use perfect lighting, they use a million other products to get the hair to lay flat and shine, plus, touch ups after the photo is taken. Basically, it'd be hard to have a bad hair day if someone took a photo of your hair the way they do for ads. :)

Exactly. I have a friend who is a hair model and she has great hair to begin with, but all the extra attention her hair gets makes it look even better. Plus, no company wants to really damage the models hair, especially if she's going to keep doing photos for them.

JessTheMess
July 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
This thread just makes me want to crawl under a rock and hide! I think I just wound up a lot of people and made myself sound like a judgemental idiot. D'oh! I'm glad it sounds like it made you chuckle a bit though. :)
LOL nooo don't hide :) we still love you!!!

brixxgirl16
July 28th, 2008, 07:50 PM

Well in an issue of Allure maybe a year ago (surprisingly, given their heat-styling preferences) there was an article about hair models and their care routines. Most of them said they never, ever heat styled except for the shoot days, they always deep conditioned, and washed about twice a month. Someone should tell them about LHC!:D

It would be upsetting, though, to have to set aside your meticulous care and have it heat styled...:mad:

pariate
July 29th, 2008, 03:09 AM
LOL nooo don't hide :) we still love you!!!

:o Thanks sweetie.

I would LOVE to master only washing my hair twice a month! I can do that now, but it means my hair resembles a swamp creature by the time I wash! LOL.

Kuchen
July 29th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Interestingly, when I bought a glossy magazine on my last trip to the UK there was a small disclaimer on one of those big hair product ads which admitted that the models were wearing hair extensions, and specified that they were human hair extensions.

Nice to see that the Advertising Standards are kicking in! Really interesting to read about hair models too, and their routines.

Tap Dancer
July 29th, 2008, 04:27 AM
I color my hair. I use hairspray and mouuse to keep my bangs back after washing. Then I blast my bangs with a hairdryer for a few seconds. I brush, I comb, and I'm always putting it up in a ponytail.

I :love: my hair! And I think it would be fun to be a hair model for a day.