PDA

View Full Version : Lovely, Pro-longhair piece from the Telegraph.

Kuchen
July 28th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/fashion/2008/07/27/st_longhair127.xml).

And pro-older women with long hair too!

Long hair: the long and short of it

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 27/07/2008

Tamasin Day-Lewis belongs to an elite sisterhood of women who've never had their hair cut short. But is it now time for her to bow to the pressures of age and fashion? Plus stylist Luke Hersheson describes how to tie a chignon

Iam the only one left. Among my friends, that is, though I don't really know why, nor whether I should just take affirmative action and change my life forever, which is what, after all these years of not doing it, it would amount to. I have thought about it many times, the implications, whether I would dare do it all at once, how I would feel if I did. And each time something has stopped me.

Does the fact that I haven't done it mean I am stuck in the past? What does it say about me, that all my friends did it years ago? And by 'it' I mean one thing: chopped off their long hair. Over the years they have changed their look many, many times. But what I have done is, somehow, far more radical.

I know that people who do finally succumb to the scissors never grow it back, and regret it. They have lost their identity, their different-ness. I also know that there is a female envy thing, which must play some part; some women do tell other women to cut their hair for all the wrong reasons. I can't imagine what it would take to persuade me to have my locks cut, after all this time, and have every intention of remaining, defiantly, long-haired.

anna1850
July 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
That's a really nice article.

It makes a change from all the "must chop after 40 because you must accept your age and conform" articles in the Mail.

But then again the Telegraph is a much better paper than the Mail so I'm not surprised (although I like the Guardian myself).

Laululintu
July 28th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I want to be like the writer of that article when I can no longer act all young and student-y :D:p

Kuchen
July 28th, 2008, 06:16 AM
This (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2302/2093170794_eeef17f7f7_m.jpg) is the best photo I could find of her hair.

Anje
July 28th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Very nice. Everything is hair-friendly except the instructions for a chignon at the end. Backcombing and hairspray!

Kuchen
July 28th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Very nice. Everything is hair-friendly except the instructions for a chignon at the end. Backcombing and hairspray!

I'd like to try it without the backcombing – hadn't seen that technique before. Sounds like one of those wonderful, iron-clad old-lady bouffant dos that I secretly aspire to :D

Periwinkle
July 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/main.jhtml?xml=/fashion/2008/07/27/st_longhair127.xml

The instructions at the end made me laugh. I don't reckon I'd catch many people round here treating their hair like that :eyebrows:

wintersun99
July 28th, 2008, 02:14 PM
"Long hair is a girl's chance to be Alice in Wonderland, and a woman's pride and elegance."

I love this quote from the article... sums it up nicely :)

burns_erin
July 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Nope, and those are some of the lousiest instructions for a chignon I have ever seen. Chignons used to be some of my favorite ways to do my hair when it was long before, and I can't wait for it to be long enough to do them again.

Tangles
July 28th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah those instructions really suck. Do you have a link to some good ones, by any chance?

Beatnik Guy
July 28th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Kuchen. :)

I prefer the Independent, but I agree that the Telegraph is a much better paper than the Mail.

Stagecoach
July 28th, 2008, 03:33 PM
What a neat article though!

Isilme
does anyone have instructions for the chignon? Some instructions I have read makes it seem like just a basic cinnamon bun and others have been very different.

embee
Loved the article, but those chignon instructions made me laugh out loud.

Somebody could email the lady and point her this direction, to LHC! She would learn a bunch of different updo styles and better care than that stylist offered!

Pierre
July 28th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Not only does he recommend backcombing, he doesn't say which way to twist each ponytail or the two together. He's asking for a macaw to nip his finger (i.e. a parroty bit).

nappywomyn
July 28th, 2008, 03:57 PM
This, perhaps, is my favorite bit from the article.

..."All the most beautiful women in life seem to have long hair, like you, with its familiar smell and auburn tinge. You should always have hair long enough to put in plaits, all messy and hippy - I love them. Long hair is a girl's chance to be Alice in Wonderland, and a woman's pride and elegance.'

Elyce
July 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Very nice snip, nappywomyn, and great article, Kuchen. Thanks for posting! Going back to read it all . . .

Carolyn
July 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
What a wonderful article! Thank you so much for posting a link, Kuchen. I've saved it to my computer so I can read it again. I especially loved the phrase "elite sisterhood". Yes guys, you can be in the sisterhood too ;)

Teacherbear
July 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I've merged the 2 threads re the same article.

Tabitha
July 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Thank you Tbear, and thanks to both members for drawing our attention to this very positive and inspiring article. :flowers:

Fee
July 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I really enjoyed reading the article, it had some kind of calming effect on me...then the shock at the end..I was really surprised to read those instructions..weird :/ but still a nice read..

Anje
July 28th, 2008, 08:29 PM
I think the instructions are for a rope-braided bun, aka rose bun, plus a little more parting and a lot more backcombing than I usually do with mine. I also recommend securing the end, though starting with a secured ponytail is definitely optional.

katiana
July 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM
That was really a neat article..thanks so much for sharing!

Here is a nice pic of Tamasin:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/wine/main.jhtml?xml=/wine/2001/09/29/edtam_intro_p1.xml

and here!

http://caseyellis.blogspot.com/2008/04/4-questions-4-tamasin-day-lewis_2426.html

gosh..looking for her pics reminded me how much I used to think Daniel Day Lewis was so handsome..hee,hee..

By the way..I can relate to how the daughter's probably feel when they see their mothers long hair..I have fuzzy warm memories of my mother's hair as a child..it was long and just so beautiful..

Elenna
July 29th, 2008, 12:21 AM
What a great article! I do so love her explanation for reactions to long hair on older women. That long hair is "indicative of health and prized s***al selection." So on an older woman (or man), long hair means that she (or he) is operating outside of the accepted social standards.

Saoirse
July 30th, 2008, 11:28 PM
gosh..looking for her pics reminded me how much I used to think Daniel Day Lewis was so handsome..hee,hee..

Used to think? :wink: I'm still dead gone!

Tamasin Day-Lewis sounds like a very cool lady. :rockerdud

Dianyla
July 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Used to think? :wink: I'm still dead gone!
Mmhmm, same here! :thud:

Tamasin Day-Lewis sounds like a very cool lady. :rockerdud
I never knew he had a sister! :eek:

katiana
July 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Mmhmm, same here! :thud:

I never knew he had a sister! :eek:

Ha,ha!! Yeah, I loved him in Last of the Mohicans..there are some great long hairs in that movie ;)