PDA

View Full Version : So I cut my hair...

TazM
May 4th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Well, I didn't, the hairdresser did, and gee was I nervous going to one since every time I go it's been a disaster, as I'm sure a lot of you can relate to, but I really had to, I've been abusing the hair straightener for quite a while now and I thought there's no way I can grow it long with the ends looking like they did. I tried cutting out the split ends and even trimming it a little by little myself, but I thought it's better just to have the horrible bits lopped off and start afresh with healthy hair (since I've given up the straightener/blow dryer) and how lucky did I get! The hairdresser just happened to have hair down to her knees so she actually cut off less than what I asked for and she just did a great job, all the horrible bits are gone and yet my hair doesn't really look that much shorter, so maybe that's the key? Choose a long haired hairdresser who understands? So I had to share this because it's really the first cut I've had where I've asked for a trim and haven't walked out with a bob!

I also wanted to mention something else, is it just me or do you find you look awful in every hairdressing mirror? I always look so scary in their mirrors, no matter where I go, I figured it was just maybe bad lighting they just use, but then when I look at the hairdresser and they look good, and I look like I've just woken up from a coma! Anyone else have this problem or is it just me?:D

amanda_the_tall
May 4th, 2012, 04:31 AM
oh yes, the lighting at the hairstylist i normally go to makes me look like a tomato, lol. in my experience the hairstylists have lots of makeup on, and they've been working in that lighting for years so i guess they've 'perfected' their makeup routine to look as flawless as possible. *sigh* but i'm glad your visit went well! :D

TazM
May 4th, 2012, 04:37 AM
oh yes, the lighting at the hairstylist i normally go to makes me look like a tomato, lol. in my experience the hairstylists have lots of makeup on, and they've been working in that lighting for years so i guess they've 'perfected' their makeup routine to look as flawless as possible. *sigh* but i'm glad your visit went well! :D

Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me! But I think your theory is right on the hairdresser's makeup, I won't feel so bad next time. Maybe that's why they have magazines so you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror!:D

amanda_the_tall
May 4th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Oh good, I'm glad it's not just me! But I think your theory is right on the hairdresser's makeup, I won't feel so bad next time. Maybe that's why they have magazines so you don't have to look at yourself in the mirror!:D

i think they also have magazines with lots of trendy short hairstyles to get you to come back and get a short cut that needs more time at a salon :p sneaky sneaky!

Vampyria
May 4th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I'm glad you are happy with the cut. :) I understand you nervousness I was preparing myself to go to a salon for one year. But I did it two months ago and it feels a lot better now.
Well my hairdresser had short bleached hear and she cut a little more that I wanted at first, but my ends were really thin (also because of the straightening) so I'm glad she did. And she asked me if I agree before she did it.

I'm shortsighted so I decided to wear glasses that day (not lenses), which I took off after, so I didn't have to look at that mirror all the time. :p

Sisgoldenhair65
May 4th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Congrats on the successful trim!!! I thought it was only me who hates to look in the mirror at the salon. I always look like crap!! I often wonder why they don't use more flattering lighting but I guess the stylist needs to see what she is doing....it's horrible!

DancingQueen
May 4th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Oh yes, the light in my hairdressers salon always makes me look like a scarecrow, I am not even kidding!

But nice to hear that you fond a hairdresser who understands :)

Lucky
May 4th, 2012, 06:46 AM
It's nice to hear a positive story! I'm glad you found someone you can trust and that you're so happy with the cut. Now you can just grow, grow, grow! I understand, I just had some layers cut out recently and, even though I was kind of bummed to lose some length, I'm thrilled to have my blunt cut back and healthy hair to boot!

And, yes, those mirrors do seem unflattering, I always think "do I really look like that?!!" :)

Phexlyn
May 4th, 2012, 10:01 AM
The hairdresser just happened to have hair down to her knees so she actually cut off less than what I asked for and she just did a great job, all the horrible bits are gone and yet my hair doesn't really look that much shorter, so maybe that's the key? Choose a long haired hairdresser who understands?
Wow, that's a brilliant cut and an awesome longhair-sighting all in one ;D I'm glad you're so happy with the result!

spidermom
May 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I did the same; the first hair dresser I chose for regular trims had classic-length hair, which was my goal at the time.