PDA

View Full Version : 2 BBB questions

nerdymomma
May 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Can I BBB damp hair?
How do I keep my hair from looking like a lion's mane afterward? Yes, I follow each stroke with my hand. Still. I look like an 80s hairband groupie afterward. Hey, I don't mind putting on a little Warrant (Cherry Pie anyone?) and rocking the big hair occasionally, but I hurt my back and I can't head bang right now!

I like how soft my hair is following a good brushing, but good grief, I have to comb it afterward to do my night braid! Is that normal?

coffinhert
May 3rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
I only use my BBB against my scalp, I don't pull it through the length.

Natalia
May 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
well take with a grain of salt as i usually have the oppoite issue but have you tried a little leave in or oil on damp hair the night before? my ends get poofy sometimes and that helps me. also good to clean your bbb once and a while. ive been wo for a while so once a month is suitable for me but i take a litteral fine tooth comb to it every week to de-lint it.

nerdymomma
May 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I've BBB'd just the scalp and it looks a bit oily and matted, I think my hair looks best when I bend at the waist and get the sebum flowing downstream with the brush.

I could try oil, the night before washing day. I try to shampoo and comb out my brush once a month, I don't know if it needs it more often...how can you tell?

Natalia
May 3rd, 2012, 09:46 PM
I could try oil, the night before washing day. I try to shampoo and comb out my brush once a month, I don't know if it needs it more often...how can you tell?

i can see the lint clumps at the base of the bristles so thats when i de-lint it. as for washing i start to notice the waxy clumps that form from sebum and bits of lint and dirt sticking to the tips and mid bristles. it also starts to get this dragging feeling when i use it

nerdymomma
May 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM
Good to know. I probably need to wash mine more often! I actually am going to make a little cozy for it, to keep the lint off when I'm not using it. It just isn't high on the priority list at the moment... :)

I thought I should also say that right now I'm trying to keep my routine really simple, to establish a baseline, like Ursula recommends in her standard newbie advice article. At first I was really hyped up and excited when I discovered the site, and just had to do something additional. I oiled my hair a few times, before realizing that I wanted to scale it back and establish a fair 3-4 weeks baseline before adding anything but CWC and BBBing to the routine.

jeanniet
May 3rd, 2012, 10:52 PM
Don't brush damp hair; you'll damage it because the brushing will stretch the wet strands (which is why you're getting the mane effect). You should only brush your hair when dry and detangled first.

nerdymomma
May 3rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Aha! Ok I can try that. I guess I'll have to start letting my hair down more, so it can really dry all the way through. The boys like to use it as a climbing rope so I tend to keep it up all the time. I've been detangling first, thanks to Madera (Madora? can't remember?)'s BBB article.