PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle help

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM
I have a dance performance later this month, and we are supposed to wear our hair in ponytails for the show. However, mine is really too long to just put it in a basic ponytail (ever try doing a pirouette with your hair flipping everywhere? Not fun, lol) but I don't want to just slap it up in a bun because I think that will look strange too... Does anyone have any good styles I could use that would be secure enough to dance in? I have a picture in my mind of a style that's like a bun/ponytail combo sort of deal, but I haven't been able to find any pictures of it online... Any suggestions/advice would be super :cheese:

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
How long is your hair, exactly?

What works for me is basically doing a peacock twist - the 'flip' tail that, when my hair was short, stood up becomes a heck of a ponytail, now. It's also super secure if pinned right.

/former ballerina.

Kelikea
May 3rd, 2012, 08:18 PM
If you curl you hair tightly, will it be short enough to be in a ponytail? I had several dance performances, and surprisingly, a curled ponytail was fine for some of them, but I would never practice in just a ponytail.

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
How long is your hair, exactly?

What works for me is basically doing a peacock twist - the 'flip' tail that, when my hair was short, stood up becomes a heck of a ponytail, now. It's also super secure if pinned right.

/former ballerina.

My Hair is about hip length. I'm not familiar with a peacock twist- what does that look like?

And no, a curled up pony tail doesn't work, I've tried it :(

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Sock bun pony tails or Odango style! There are also ways of doing ponytails that eat up length!

http://i50.tinypic.com/2lcqv6p.jpg Curly odango!

http://youtu.be/7ASvRfQpSGA Video courtesy of TorrinPaige!

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
My Hair is about hip length. I'm not familiar with a peacock twist- what does that look like?

And no, a curled up pony tail doesn't work, I've tried it :(

It's basically a french twist with the length left coming out the top rather than tucked. If your hair isn't super thick though, I'm not sure that will take up enough length. Neither will, I'd think, doing a sock bun pony since it's not going to eat up the length of what's loose. Maybe french braid upside down (start at the nape), and then pony (and possibly curl) what's left?

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM
The odango style isn't a bad idea... I'll google the peacock twist- that might work, since my hair is quite thick.

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Maybe french braid upside down (start at the nape), and then pony (and possibly curl) what's left?

Sounds cute! I also like the variety of this that turns the remainder of the pony into a bow of sorts! :D

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
This is probably a long hair sin, but, I don't actually know how to french braid my hair :shrug:

torrilin
May 3rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
Nah, it's not a sin. French braiding can be pretty complicated if you're not good at braiding.

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm *okay* at braiding, but not particularly good... I'm liking the idea of the peacock twist, but I'm not finding any helpful tutorials online about it... The few videos I've found are for some product called a "HairZing" which wouldn't really be allowed :p

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Search youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGblrUa_O8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLDB17B468861186C5

This one's not bad, but you'd obviously need to change how it's secured.

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 09:05 PM
I saw that one, thanks ;-) I have a hard time comprehending it though- I need instructions along with the video :(

AnqeIicDemise
May 3rd, 2012, 09:12 PM
sailor moon it! You can make little odangos if you like too. I can get my hair for WSL to a little past my ears by doing them. :D

You basically tie the hair into pigtails, then into a knot, and add another hair tie after the knot to keep it in place. I sometimes add a few V pins to make sure they go nowhere.

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
sailor moon it! You can make little odangos if you like too. I can get my hair for WSL to a little past my ears by doing them. :D

You basically tie the hair into pigtails, then into a knot, and add another hair tie after the knot to keep it in place. I sometimes add a few V pins to make sure they go nowhere.

Is it possible to make just one "odango"? I can't have pigtails for it (even though I think it would be super cute, lol) because I need it for three different pieces. It would be fine for jazz (probably) but probably not for lyrical or my tap piece :-(

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-knot/

This is what I'm talking about :-) Hopefully I can make sense of it, lol:D

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Is it possible to make just one "odango"? I can't have pigtails for it (even though I think it would be super cute, lol) because I need it for three different pieces. It would be fine for jazz (probably) but probably not for lyrical or my tap piece :-(

I think that's definitely possible. You could just make the ponytail more central and then do a knot (just as you would with two) !

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-knot/

This is what I'm talking about :-) Hopefully I can make sense of it, lol:D

That's perfect! I'm sure you'll do just fine with that!

MagicToDo
May 3rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
I figured it out! :cheese: I'm so proud of myself, lol. Thank you ladies for all your help :-) (And for bearing with me!!)

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 09:30 PM
I figured it out! :cheese: I'm so proud of myself, lol. Thank you ladies for all your help :-) (And for bearing with me!!)

Congrats!!! And anytime! :D

AnqeIicDemise
May 3rd, 2012, 11:22 PM

Yay! And yes, you can. I just like to make the panda ears because I can.