PDA

View Full Version : One-Year Anniversary... (Pic Heavy)

Annibelle
May 3rd, 2012, 07:29 PM
...and I have no improvement to show you.

My hair is shorter than when I started here a year ago. My ends were really thin then, and I've been cutting in hopes that the rest of my hair will catch up, but it doesn't grow. Only the same hairs grow (the ones on the outer edges, so my hair forms an upside-down V when left to grow). The others just stay around BSL.

Here's my hair upon joining:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=109842http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=109844

(The photo in black is from just a week after joining-- just to show how much different my ends look when I wear black!)

I've cut off those super-thin ends, but as soon as I get past BSL, my ends are super thin again. It seems to be an endless cycle.

I have learned something since coming here, though. I was always confused about why my straight hair was so frizzy and dry-looking, like in that photo, when my hair FELT good. It was soft; it didn't feel dry. I'd even had people touch my hair before and say, surprised, "Wow, your hair is actually really soft!" :o Well, the reason it always looked so much worse than it felt was because it was actually WAVY!

Here's my hair after 6 months, after learning that I'm a wavy and trying to work with my wavy hair... but instead, it just looks like scraggly straight hair...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=117562

Then I went back to wearing my hair straight (by combing it a lot while it's drying) because I just got tired of my hair looking like a dog chewed on it every time I scrunched.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=119708http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=120402

(In the second photo, I've cheated by combing my ends together instead of them staying naturally more separated.)

And here are my photos from two months ago.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=127734 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8442&pictureid=127735

(Second photo was taken right after the first, but with flash.)

I've been too depressed to take monthly photos anymore, because my hair never looks right. I'm going back and forth between wavy and straight, because I can't figure out how to get consistent results from scrunching. I'm at a loss. 9 out of 10 times I scrunch, I'm left with frizzy, half-straight clumps of hair. It looks stupid.

Perhaps the most valuable thing I've learned from LHC is that not everyone has "good" hair. So many people here do, and I love looking at your photos... even if it's kind of depressing. At first, it got me excited because I thought I could reach those lengths, too, but now I know that I can't. Every day, I consider just chopping to SL because maybe then I'd have cute, wavy hair... after all, when I scrunch, the only part that looks right is usually from the shoulders up. But then I think of how much I love long hair, how unique it is IRL, and how SO really wants me to grow my hair out. I just wish there were hope... but it's been a year since I first got here and I've seen no improvement. Measuring is a joke. I feel superficial and stupid for feeling so disappointed and ashamed over hair.

Oh, well. There are those occasional good hair days. I just wish there were more of them.

Thanks for reading. I hope this wasn't too much of a downer. :silly:

allycat
May 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Annibelle, don't be depressed. I think your hair is pretty. I can see the thickness moving gradually down, so in your shoes, I would continue to be patient and do regular microtrims to keep that thickness moving down.

I love the last photos in the pink shirt. Your swirly waves are really lovely.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
I don't think I've ever spoken a single word to you, because I spent a long time reading here before posting, but -

I'll let you in on a secret: Regardless of your frustration and disappointment with your hair (which I think looks *fantastic* in the last set of your photos, and would be jaw droppingly stunning with that curl and wave in an updo), you are gorgeous.

That isn't meant to be creepy (and I'm sorry if it is), but I always remember your avatar, because you are just That Pretty. I honestly can't say that about a single other member here. I mean, you're also intelligent, articulate, respectful and seem kind, but even just 'shallowly' - you're BEAUTIFUL. You don't need thick knee-length hair for that.

And, frankly, I think the thinness and delicateness of your hair suits your delicate features.

lolot
May 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
your hair looks good but i wonder if you are doing something for it to break, you mention combing a lot while wet, maybe thats why you have thin ends
do you use protective styles?

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:43 PM
your hair looks good but i wonder if you are doing something for it to break, you mention combing a lot while wet, maybe thats why you have thin ends

I don't think it's broken, actually - just thinner. Her hair looks gorgeously healthy.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:45 PM
Oh and - have you tried letting it dry in those curls/waves and then turning your head upside down and gently finger combing through? That may help you fake volumne occasionally, if that's something you want.

amanda_the_tall
May 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM
i know your pain, with the whole half straight half wavy. the curl/wurl factor is definitely improved in the last pics though! it is really pretty :) hopefully the summer will bring you a growth spurt to make you feel better. don't be discouraged!

lolot
May 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think it's broken, actually - just thinner. Her hair looks gorgeously healthy.

why you think is not broken? the top part doesnt look thin at all, actually it looks pretty thick until bsl, maybe there is some kind of rubbing at that lenght

Annibelle
May 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
Annibelle, don't be depressed. I think your hair is pretty. I can see the thickness moving gradually down, so in your shoes, I would continue to be patient and do regular microtrims to keep that thickness moving down.

I love the last photos in the pink shirt. Your swirly waves are really lovely.

Thanks. :blossom: I would be happy if my hair would always behave the way it did in the pink shirt... unfortunately, it was like that for just a few washes, and then it went back to being weird. :confused:

I don't think I've ever spoken a single word to you, because I spent a long time reading here before posting, but -

I'll let you in on a secret: Regardless of your frustration and disappointment with your hair (which I think looks *fantastic* in the last set of your photos, and would be jaw droppingly stunning with that curl and wave in an updo), you are gorgeous.

That isn't meant to be creepy (and I'm sorry if it is), but I always remember your avatar, because you are just That Pretty. I honestly can't say that about a single other member here. I mean, you're also intelligent, articulate, respectful and seem kind, but even just 'shallowly' - you're BEAUTIFUL. You don't need thick knee-length hair for that.

And, frankly, I think the thinness and delicateness of your hair suits your delicate features.

Thank you so much for your sweet words! :flower: You've definitely brightened my mood! :)

That's just it... my hair has always had such few split ends. I S&D and there are just rarely splits. I don't think it could be breakage if there aren't splits, right? (Also, I'm careful about combing and I've never had a tangle in my life... but I would still consider breakage if I could find some evidence of it!)

I wear my hair in buns almost every day-- the rest of the time, braids.

Oh and - have you tried letting it dry in those curls/waves and then turning your head upside down and gently finger combing through? That may help you fake volumne occasionally, if that's something you want.

No, I haven't! I actually don't usually have to worry too much about volume-- when my hair is wavy, I've got waves and some ringlets all around my face, so it gives me volume. Also, I worry a lot about frizz, since my hair frizzes if you just look at it. :justy:

i know your pain, with the whole half straight half wavy. the curl/wurl factor is definitely improved in the last pics though! it is really pretty :) hopefully the summer will bring you a growth spurt to make you feel better. don't be discouraged!

Yes, I hope I get a growth spurt! I hadn't considered that. :D

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
why you think is not broken? the top part doesnt look thin at all, actually it looks pretty thick until bsl, maybe there is some kind of rubbing at that lenght

Because it doesn't look frizzy, dry or broken. Because she describes it as soft. Because she's wearing her hair and didn't mention having a problem with breakage and after a year here, she knows how to find it.

She has fairytale ends. They're just a bit (and not all that much) shorter than some of our other members here. And about the same as others.

Some hairs have longer terminal lengths than others. Some people have shorter terminal lengths. More than likely, one of two things is going on: The hairs at her longest length (close to the back of her head) have a longer terminal length than those higher up - leaving the thickness at about shoulder length - or she has had a major shed at some point, or is having one now, and her hair thickness hasn't caught up with the length. That can take YEARS to catch up, because it has to start with scalp.

Fairytaled, or thin, just does not necessarily equal broken.

mzBANGBANG
May 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS!!! Whatever you're doing in those last photos, keep doing it, it looks so amazing! I have a friend with hair very similar to yours and it is enviable! So what if it's not like some of the pics on this site, I know mine isn't and it bothers me sometimes for various reasons, but it's my hair, it's what I have to work with. I would consider your hair long, and frankly, perfect. You have lovely fairy tail ends. I wish I was a wurly so I could have them, too.

Don't be so down! I'd be smiling if my hair looked like that! :D

Amber_Maiden
May 3rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Your hair looks amazing!!!

Annibelle
May 3rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Your hair is GORGEOUS!!! Whatever you're doing in those last photos, keep doing it, it looks so amazing! I have a friend with hair very similar to yours and it is enviable! So what if it's not like some of the pics on this site, I know mine isn't and it bothers me sometimes for various reasons, but it's my hair, it's what I have to work with. I would consider your hair long, and frankly, perfect. You have lovely fairy tail ends. I wish I was a wurly so I could have them, too.

Don't be so down! I'd be smiling if my hair looked like that! :D

Thank you so much! :o I certainly wouldn't be whining so much if my hair consistently looked like it does in the last photos... but it doesn't. It usually looks like it did in the 6 month photo: sort of like messy, stringy straight hair. I don't know how to get consistent results from scrunching. In the pink shirt, I was lucky enough that my hair turned out that way WITHOUT scrunching... other times, I just get a big fluff ball on my head! Gah! I'll keep trying, though... :cheese:

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Thank you so much! :o I certainly wouldn't be whining so much if my hair consistently looked like it does in the last photos... but it doesn't. It usually looks like it did in the 6 month photo: sort of like messy, stringy straight hair. I don't know how to get consistent results from scrunching. In the pink shirt, I was lucky enough that my hair turned out that way WITHOUT scrunching... other times, I just get a big fluff ball on my head! Gah! I'll keep trying, though... :cheese:

pardon me while I post all over your thread -

Scrunching turns my hair into a mess - because it separates any clumping I would otherwise get, that would turn into curls. Plopping doesn't work, because my hair takes the shape of whatever it's in far too easily and I end up with a rats nest.

Fingercombing my hair (upside down, for me) and then letting it drip dry with a bit of some kind of styling product or leave in gives me the most consistent results - but it's curl, the pattern is always going to be variable. Sometimes it's wave, sometimes it's curl, sometimes it's this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/Greylin/boom.jpg
(Seriously: Everyone here does not have great hair - much less all the time :o )

The only thing that really, 100% consistently, gives me spirals is drying in rope braids and then being carefully pulled part. Yeah, the ends stick out and need damped down and scrunched to stop being stick straight, but hey. All I need at that point is SOME wave at the end so the ends don't look fried because they're sticking out straight.

meishkamooshka
May 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
It really is quite lovely. And I truly envy your wurls! Stay positive. Change takes time, and I have to agree with those who say they see improvements in your hair. It looks so wonderfully soft. I'm totally jealous! :o

mzBANGBANG
May 3rd, 2012, 08:15 PM

Honestly if I didn't see the pink shirt photos my reaction would have been the same, it's good but by comparison the ringlets look so pretty! I'm not a fan of it straight because I've just never liked fairy tale ends on straight hair. I think the 6 month photo looks more boho than anything, I'd love to see it flowing over a nice hippie-style dress.

Not sure if someone suggested, I have fairly straight hair with a little wave that looks like utter crap when I let it air dry, however if I put it in a 50% dry bun overnight it gives me some pretty good waves, then I scrunch in the morning. I can't scrunch alone, it just doesn't take to my hair. I wish it didn't take so many steps to get my hair to do it, but alas, grass is greener syndrome!

Tia2010
May 3rd, 2012, 08:25 PM
Well I think your hair is lovely :flower: We can all be a little too self critical when we compare our progress to others...but really, your hair is very pretty!

Tressie
May 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary! :flower: I truly think your hair looks quite lovely! I find that not every "hair photo" turns out to my liking. It's amazing how much difference there can be from photo to photo in even one session! For most of us there are...good hair days, and bad hair days! (o: If your want to grow your hair longer, don't give up! I do believe with time you can thicken up your length, or at least the thicker part of your hair will move down with growth! Baby your hair and enjoy it! :blossom:

nerdymomma
May 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM
I think you have lovely hair. Happy anniversary! :blossom:

Falcore
May 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM
I think your hair is so pretty. Congrats on one year

~BoHemiAngel~
May 4th, 2012, 12:44 AM
Hi there, hair twin :waving:

First and foremost, I would like to agree with the rest of the posters here and comment that I think your hair is lovely (but perhaps I'm biased because our hair is so similar ;)) I also wanted to just give you a bit of empathy and let you know that I share your frustration... I have literally the same experience where my hair is decently thick at the top, and then fairytales out around BSL no matter what I do. I hated my hair nearly every day for the past two years, and maybe had a good hair day about once every two months. And you better believe those are all the pics in my album, but the rest of the time my hair was just plain weird :mad:.

In my case, the fairytale ends were driving me so nuts I finally went for a 3" chop even though I had FINALLY just made it to waist, but once I let those ends go that were depressing me so much, my hemline became fairly decent and now and I feel SO much better about my hair!

I am not by any means encouraging you to chop your hair, I just wanted to give you some support and let you know that you are not alone. I think your hair is beautiful, but whether you want to maintain it there with deep conditioning or protein treatments, do little microtrims, or go for a bigger chop, I just hope you find something that helps you to feel better about the hair you have like I did :flower:

Lastly, I don't know if you have discovered Habioku's thread on Paranda yet (sorry I don't know how to link the thread in here, but you could search it easily), but they're really helpful for giving your updo's a fun and interesting "boost." I wear my hair in these nearly every day, and thankfully my little braided bun doesn't look so pathetic now, lol! I have some pics in my album if you would like to see what I'm talking about.

Best of luck on your growing journey!!

MonaLisa
May 4th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Congrats darling! :) I love the last 2 pics! So romantic and beautiful! :flower:

janeytilllie
May 4th, 2012, 02:47 AM
I think your hair is beautiful.
I love the last two pictures, your hair looks very princess looking and healthy.

Happy anniversary :flower:

Quahatundightu
May 4th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Actually I think you've made great progress in a year! Don't be depressed - if you keep going with microtrimming your hair will probably thicken up even more. Come over to the microtrimming thread linked in my siggy, hopefully it will give you some inspiration :)

theRedEarl
May 4th, 2012, 05:11 AM
You and your hair look fantastic. I think the thickness is evidently working its way down. I like your waves intro straight, wish mine would have the same.

Mayflower
May 4th, 2012, 05:18 AM
I have always found your hair so lovely! Especially on the last few pictures it looks really soft and smooth and shiny.
Unfortunately we can't all have 'perfect' hair and all the pictures on here are deceiving. I know I only pick out the most flattering ones, but those are great to look at when having a bad hair day.
It's also a process of trial and error and it's GREAT that you discovered you're a wavy! I'm sure that you will receive consistent results once you've tried out a few things.

I know your goal is hip lenght. Are you planning on growing it out and then maintaining, or maintaining at waist until your hemline thickened up? I think microtrimming can bring you a long, long way, the Microtrimming & Maintaining thread shows that. But it can take years.

Anyways, congratulations with your anniversary and stay positive! We always see our hair worse than others do. :flower:

henné
May 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I also think your hair is gorgeous and on your avatar, you have a gorgeous face as well - very soft and sweet and that hair fits your face amazingly well.

I can also tell that your hair is getting thicker at the ends, it's probably just going to take a while longer. Not everyone can have the huge thick hair and not everyone would even want to ... I've also met a lot of girls with huge thick hair that would trade with me as it is so much more work and it's also much heavier than is the medium thickness hair.

Just love your hair and it will love you back :flower:

florenonite
May 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Your hair looks very shiny and healthy, and I love the waves in the last shot (though I know you said it doesn't always turn out that way).

Scrunching never worked for me, either. It just frizzes up.

Given that you're a natural wavy, I imagine your hair would hold bun or braid waves really well. Have you tried damp bunning or rope braids? Two rope braids would probably give you similar results to the waves in your most recent pictures, but more reliably.

longhairedleah
May 4th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I think your hair looks a lot healthier now, and the ends have DEFINITELY gotten thicker!
You just need time and patience, I think you should keep doing what you're doing, it's working nicely. Don't get discouraged!!

I also like how it looks brushed out =)

lunalocks
May 4th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I agree with other posters that your hair with the delicate ends does suit you and is lovely. I have the same straight on top and then waves below ears (and what I have learned here has brought out the waves!) I do not scrunch. I DO CWC then comb (wide, smooth wood) while wet and rub 2 drops of mineral oil in my hands and put on ends and then below ears. I finger comb while it dries. This not only brings out the waves, but adds volume. Then, for night, I will do the same with 1 drop of oil, then bun it and in the morning, more waves, almost spiral curls.

I had a lot of breakage with pony tails, braiding, and bunning while damp and not having the bun secure on my head. I simply can't use bands, even soft scrunchies, except for rarely, even on dry hair. Realizing these things were contributing to the breakage has resulted in thicker and healthier ends and longer hair.

Good luck. I love your posts, and you are truly beautiful.

Micayla47
May 4th, 2012, 07:30 AM

i agree 100% with Becky! your hair is beautiful; now your attitude needs to catch up :)

Hollyfire3
May 4th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I agree with most of the comments, your hair is beautiful, I also want to say that it is NOT true that some of us don't have good hair, we all do, in our own ways, have perfect hair, it IS true however that the definition of "good" hair varies and throws people off, making them dislike their own hair. I think you have made alot of progress and say keep at it!

longNred
May 4th, 2012, 07:42 AM
the 2nd set of pics are great! reminds me of a child's hair (and I mean that in a GOOD way). natural, soft, & pretty. Those spirals are just darling, and I imagine would look quite lovely in a soft updo, or a gently clipped low side ponytail. You have beautiful ends, embrace them, and find a way to make them work for you.

summergreen
May 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Your hair is looking lovely.

I definitely agree with fluroenite re the rope braids. I used to do rope twists in my DD's hair when she was younger and her hair would spiral just like yours in the pink T shirt pics! Also, your hair looks a really similar texture to mine, and I would never be able to let mine dry without confining it in some way (twists, braids), otherwise not one single hair would be touching the ones next to it! so I'm thinking maybe drying in rope braids would help the separating out thing as well.

Congrats on your one year anniversary and your beautiful hair!

Cupofmilk
May 4th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I think your hair is beautiful. My hair is really quite similar with waves and curls and thinner ends.

lapushka
May 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I actually really like your pics from two months ago, and I can definitely see improvement when compared to your first picture!

Tigermama
May 4th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hi Annabelle, I think your hair is so pretty! It is super long and healthy. One year and the thickness has moved down alot.

Annibelle
May 9th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thank you all SOOOO much for the wonderful comments! :blossom:

pardon me while I post all over your thread -

Scrunching turns my hair into a mess - because it separates any clumping I would otherwise get, that would turn into curls. Plopping doesn't work, because my hair takes the shape of whatever it's in far too easily and I end up with a rats nest.

Fingercombing my hair (upside down, for me) and then letting it drip dry with a bit of some kind of styling product or leave in gives me the most consistent results - but it's curl, the pattern is always going to be variable.

Ahhh, so not every wavy/curly scrunches... good to know!!! Well, I tried what you said, and I basically got the same results I get from scrunching, but with straight-ish ends... so, still not working for me. :(

Honestly if I didn't see the pink shirt photos my reaction would have been the same, it's good but by comparison the ringlets look so pretty! I'm not a fan of it straight because I've just never liked fairy tale ends on straight hair. I think the 6 month photo looks more boho than anything, I'd love to see it flowing over a nice hippie-style dress.

Not sure if someone suggested, I have fairly straight hair with a little wave that looks like utter crap when I let it air dry, however if I put it in a 50% dry bun overnight it gives me some pretty good waves, then I scrunch in the morning. I can't scrunch alone, it just doesn't take to my hair. I wish it didn't take so many steps to get my hair to do it, but alas, grass is greener syndrome!

I did the bun thing, and I got really fun curls... it looked really cute in a ponytail the next day. :D

Hi there, hair twin

First and foremost, I would like to agree with the rest of the posters here and comment that I think your hair is lovely (but perhaps I'm biased because our hair is so similar ) I also wanted to just give you a bit of empathy and let you know that I share your frustration... I have literally the same experience where my hair is decently thick at the top, and then fairytales out around BSL no matter what I do. I hated my hair nearly every day for the past two years, and maybe had a good hair day about once every two months. And you better believe those are all the pics in my album, but the rest of the time my hair was just plain weird .

In my case, the fairytale ends were driving me so nuts I finally went for a 3" chop even though I had FINALLY just made it to waist, but once I let those ends go that were depressing me so much, my hemline became fairly decent and now and I feel SO much better about my hair!

I am not by any means encouraging you to chop your hair, I just wanted to give you some support and let you know that you are not alone. I think your hair is beautiful, but whether you want to maintain it there with deep conditioning or protein treatments, do little microtrims, or go for a bigger chop, I just hope you find something that helps you to feel better about the hair you have like I did

Lastly, I don't know if you have discovered Habioku's thread on Paranda yet (sorry I don't know how to link the thread in here, but you could search it easily), but they're really helpful for giving your updo's a fun and interesting "boost." I wear my hair in these nearly every day, and thankfully my little braided bun doesn't look so pathetic now, lol! I have some pics in my album if you would like to see what I'm talking about.

Best of luck on your growing journey!!

I actually chopped to BSL earlier this year... and still had fairytaling. :( It looked the same, but shorter. I don't understand. :confused:

And I have checked out that thread! :D And I'm definitely going to try it. :D I just need to figure out which colors to get. :)

Actually I think you've made great progress in a year! Don't be depressed - if you keep going with microtrimming your hair will probably thicken up even more. Come over to the microtrimming thread linked in my siggy, hopefully it will give you some inspiration

I've been trimming each month to maintain at waist... I just don't see the progress. I'm so glad someone else does, though! So thank you for that.

I have always found your hair so lovely! Especially on the last few pictures it looks really soft and smooth and shiny.
Unfortunately we can't all have 'perfect' hair and all the pictures on here are deceiving. I know I only pick out the most flattering ones, but those are great to look at when having a bad hair day.
It's also a process of trial and error and it's GREAT that you discovered you're a wavy! I'm sure that you will receive consistent results once you've tried out a few things.

I know your goal is hip lenght. Are you planning on growing it out and then maintaining, or maintaining at waist until your hemline thickened up? I think microtrimming can bring you a long, long way, the Microtrimming & Maintaining thread shows that. But it can take years.

Anyways, congratulations with your anniversary and stay positive! We always see our hair worse than others do.

I reaaaaaally want to be at hip, but until I start to like the way my hair looks at WL, I'm just going to maintain there. Since my goal length isn't far away, I don't feel TOO badly about spending years maintaining...

I also think your hair is gorgeous and on your avatar, you have a gorgeous face as well - very soft and sweet and that hair fits your face amazingly well.

I can also tell that your hair is getting thicker at the ends, it's probably just going to take a while longer. Not everyone can have the huge thick hair and not everyone would even want to ... I've also met a lot of girls with huge thick hair that would trade with me as it is so much more work and it's also much heavier than is the medium thickness hair.

Just love your hair and it will love you back

Thanks so much!

Your hair looks very shiny and healthy, and I love the waves in the last shot (though I know you said it doesn't always turn out that way).

Scrunching never worked for me, either. It just frizzes up.

Given that you're a natural wavy, I imagine your hair would hold bun or braid waves really well. Have you tried damp bunning or rope braids? Two rope braids would probably give you similar results to the waves in your most recent pictures, but more reliably.

Ahhh, my hair does hold waves really well. In fact, TOO well sometimes... hehe. I'll need to practice with various buns to see which kinds of waves I like on me.

the 2nd set of pics are great! reminds me of a child's hair (and I mean that in a GOOD way). natural, soft, & pretty. Those spirals are just darling, and I imagine would look quite lovely in a soft updo, or a gently clipped low side ponytail. You have beautiful ends, embrace them, and find a way to make them work for you.

Thanks! :flower: I agree about the child's hair... I've been seeing a lot of kids around with hair like mine, which makes me feel better, because it looks so cute on them. :D

Your hair is looking lovely.

I definitely agree with fluroenite re the rope braids. I used to do rope twists in my DD's hair when she was younger and her hair would spiral just like yours in the pink T shirt pics! Also, your hair looks a really similar texture to mine, and I would never be able to let mine dry without confining it in some way (twists, braids), otherwise not one single hair would be touching the ones next to it! so I'm thinking maybe drying in rope braids would help the separating out thing as well.

Congrats on your one year anniversary and your beautiful hair!

I have such a terrible time with rope braids... I always have hairs sticking out everywhere... but I'm going to try it, anyway! How many rope braids do you do?

bunzfan
May 10th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I see a big improvement don't be discouraged keep up with the micro trimming it really does help :flowers:

Tota
May 10th, 2012, 01:20 AM
Your hair looks healthy, shiny, delicate and so soft and you did your best to achieve that. I think you're just sad because you expected more (because of the growth stall). But I'm sure that to everyone else around you your hair looks amazing and very unique. The last two photos are just wow - beautiful beautiful waves and fairytale ends!

You wrote about scrunching but have you tried plopping? I learned that my hair looks its best when I plop it when its dripping wet and keep it that way for 15 minutes. Then I let my hair airdry on its own. That way waves look more natural and voluminous than with scrunching.

Charybdis
May 10th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Hey, Annibelle, like everyone else says, you are a total cutie pie, and your soft, delicate hair suits you. That said, I'm sorry you're feeling less than thrilled with your hair! It's so frustrating when you try and try to get your hair to do something that other people's hair does with ease, and your hair WILL NOT cooperate. What works for me is to go with the flow and encourage my hair do the things it's good at, and not ask it to do the things it doesn't do well.

I totally feel you on the frizz. At this point, I do a heavy pre-wash oiling before every shampoo where I have time, and that helps. Your hair is finer and so probably doesn't like quite as much oil, but my hair really thrives on the pre-wash oil. (Of course, I use sulfates and cones because my scalp demands sulfates and my hair tangles like a mad bastard without cones. Just adding that in because if you are, for example, sulfate- and cone-free, YMMV with the oil.) Now that I'm living somewhere with really hard water I'm doing final rinses with filtered water, sometimes with lemon juice (I don't like the smell of ACV) mixed in; that seems to help the frizz a bit too. But no matter what I do, I will always have some amount of frizz. I try to embrace the fact that it comes with wurls! It is what it is. It's probably easier for me, though, having been a teenager in the '80s when wurly volume was seen as highly desirable. I think it's hard on wurly people who grew up with flat-ironed, stick-straight hair being presented as the standard to aspire to.

One advantage of having thinner hair that fairy-tails is that you can do so many more buns! I'm almost at APL (albeit with a bit of layering), and my hair just laughed at me when I tried to learn how to do a lazy-wrap bun recently. I think I will have to get to BSL, which is about 26" on me without taking into account the length eaten up by wurls, before I will be able to do anything meaningful with hair sticks that looks halfway decent. So you're ahead of the game there!

Also, I do think you have some thickness slowly moving down towards your ends. Since you have hairs on each side that "race" ahead, I think you're right that you'll have to maintain for awhile so that the slower-growing hairs can catch up. If a thick hemline is really important to you, you would have one if you trimmed back to APL (while dry and wurly, not when wet and straight) and you could then grow from there with microtrims every couple of months. Not saying you *should* do that, because I think your hair looks good where it is, but just throwing it out there as an option since you seem kind of down about your ability to achieve a thicker hemline at longer lengths.

Congrats on your 1-year anniversary, and happy growing!

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 01:26 AM
You wrote about scrunching but have you tried plopping? I learned that my hair looks its best when I plop it when its dripping wet and keep it that way for 15 minutes. Then I let my hair airdry on its own. That way waves look more natural and voluminous than with scrunching.

I tried plopping once, but ended up with a weird clumpy mess. I think I don't really know how to do it right... :( I just sort of stuffed my hair into a t-shirt to dry. Do you have any suggestions for how I'm supposed to do it?

Tota
May 10th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Maybe this could help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A

I learned that my waves look their best if I plop/plunk it with a cotton T-shirt (no fabric softener!) no more than 15-20 minutes and then just leave it to airdry. I don't use any styling products. My hair is fine so if I use a gel/mousse or anything similar it just clumps together and the strands look like overcooked wavy spaghetti. shudder:

And yeah, I too was positive I have straight but frizzy hair for many many years. Curly girl method saved my hair even though I'm not a curly girl. I'm sure that you'll manage to get the hair you want with some experimenting! And congratulations for your one year anniversary:beercheer:

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Hey, Annibelle, like everyone else says, you are a total cutie pie, and your soft, delicate hair suits you. That said, I'm sorry you're feeling less than thrilled with your hair! It's so frustrating when you try and try to get your hair to do something that other people's hair does with ease, and your hair WILL NOT cooperate. What works for me is to go with the flow and encourage my hair do the things it's good at, and not ask it to do the things it doesn't do well.

I totally feel you on the frizz. At this point, I do a heavy pre-wash oiling before every shampoo where I have time, and that helps. Your hair is finer and so probably doesn't like quite as much oil, but my hair really thrives on the pre-wash oil. (Of course, I use sulfates and cones because my scalp demands sulfates and my hair tangles like a mad bastard without cones. Just adding that in because if you are, for example, sulfate- and cone-free, YMMV with the oil.) Now that I'm living somewhere with really hard water I'm doing final rinses with filtered water, sometimes with lemon juice (I don't like the smell of ACV) mixed in; that seems to help the frizz a bit too. But no matter what I do, I will always have some amount of frizz. I try to embrace the fact that it comes with wurls! It is what it is. It's probably easier for me, though, having been a teenager in the '80s when wurly volume was seen as highly desirable. I think it's hard on wurly people who grew up with flat-ironed, stick-straight hair being presented as the standard to aspire to.

One advantage of having thinner hair that fairy-tails is that you can do so many more buns! I'm almost at APL (albeit with a bit of layering), and my hair just laughed at me when I tried to learn how to do a lazy-wrap bun recently. I think I will have to get to BSL, which is about 26" on me without taking into account the length eaten up by wurls, before I will be able to do anything meaningful with hair sticks that looks halfway decent. So you're ahead of the game there!

Also, I do think you have some thickness slowly moving down towards your ends. Since you have hairs on each side that "race" ahead, I think you're right that you'll have to maintain for awhile so that the slower-growing hairs can catch up. If a thick hemline is really important to you, you would have one if you trimmed back to APL (while dry and wurly, not when wet and straight) and you could then grow from there with microtrims every couple of months. Not saying you *should* do that, because I think your hair looks good where it is, but just throwing it out there as an option since you seem kind of down about your ability to achieve a thicker hemline at longer lengths.

Congrats on your 1-year anniversary, and happy growing!

Thank you! :heart: I sometimes oil pre-wash, sometimes not... it doesn't really seem to make a difference in my hair. (Err, unless I oil any hair near my scalp. Then the oil won't come out when I shower!)

And I really am considering cutting to APL. My only worry is that my waves will disappear if my hair is shorter, because they really don't even start until SL.

Maybe this could help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qD38ZYX6A

I learned that my waves look their best if I plop/plunk it with a cotton T-shirt (no fabric softener!) no more than 15-20 minutes and then just leave it to airdry. I don't use any styling products. My hair is fine so if I use a gel/mousse or anything similar it just clumps together and the strands look like overcooked wavy spaghetti. shudder:

And yeah, I too was positive I have straight but frizzy hair for many many years. Curly girl method saved my hair even though I'm not a curly girl. I'm sure that you'll manage to get the hair you want with some experimenting! And congratulations for your one year anniversary:beercheer:

AHHH! I couldn't have explained it better-- my plopping methods looked like "overcooked wavy spaghetti," too! :D I'll try this version without product! Thanks so much! :flower:

Bedhead
May 10th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Annibelle, I don't know what you're talking about, saying there's no improvement. :confused: I see a big improvement! You're hair has a healthy glow to it, and it's clearly more moisturized, not to mention your ends are getting thicker. Yes, there's more for you to improve on, but please don't be discouraged by what you have done. :)

honeyblonde
May 10th, 2012, 10:21 AM
:blossom: It looks great!! MUCH healithier looking!! LOVE the curls

GenLove86
May 10th, 2012, 10:49 AM
You're hair is really pretty! I heard that just after the shower, don't brush/comb hair until it's completely dry. I've been doing this and my hair is nice and wavy. After your hair is dry, take a comb gently throuhg it and with a small amount of oil to smooth it out. When I first started growing my hair out it was very stragley at the ends. It takes a while and I know it took me personally 2 years to get the length and health that I wanted. I wouldn't give up! You just have to find what works right for you.

Apriori
May 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I think that the waves/curls in the last set of pictures looks really pretty and to me it does seem like your thickness have moved downed a little :)

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
You're hair is really pretty! I heard that just after the shower, don't brush/comb hair until it's completely dry. I've been doing this and my hair is nice and wavy. After your hair is dry, take a comb gently throuhg it and with a small amount of oil to smooth it out. When I first started growing my hair out it was very stragley at the ends. It takes a while and I know it took me personally 2 years to get the length and health that I wanted. I wouldn't give up! You just have to find what works right for you.

Thanks. :heart: I've found that I can't comb/brush AT ALL, even when dry, if I want to have waves. If I comb wet, I have straight, smooth hair like in the third set of photos. If I comb dry, I have straight, frizzy hair. So... I have to either comb wet or not at all. I have very finicky hair!

Henrietta
May 10th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Don't be depressed. You didn't mention anything about your pre-LHC routine, but I can tell you something from my experience. I joined LHC more than 2 years ago and immediately I started to baby it. And I trimmed, around 0.5 inch every month. Nevertheless my ends were always a crap. I cut more than 2 inches in March and they are still bad. But I think I know why it is so. Maybe those ends still remember the times of my using flat iron every 3 days (it was a few years ago) and blowdrying. And plastic brushes.
Keep trimming. One big trim or monthly micro ones. There is a chance that you will soon get to the line of healthy hair that is strong and won't thin out.

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Don't be depressed. You didn't mention anything about your pre-LHC routine, but I can tell you something from my experience. I joined LHC more than 2 years ago and immediately I started to baby it. And I trimmed, around 0.5 inch every month. Nevertheless my ends were always a crap. I cut more than 2 inches in March and they are still bad. But I think I know why it is so. Maybe those ends still remember the times of my using flat iron every 3 days (it was a few years ago) and blowdrying. And plastic brushes.
Keep trimming. One big trim or monthly micro ones. There is a chance that you will soon get to the line of healthy hair that is strong and won't thin out.

The thing is... all of my hair is virgin. Never touched heat or dye. Never backcombed. So... I don't know what this is about. I did dye my hair years ago, BUT all of that damage was cut off before I started growing, about six years ago. Also, my ends feel good. They feel as though they're in the same exact condition as the rest of my hair. I very rarely find splits, and my hair never tangles. It sounds like bragging, but really, I'm just perplexed. How can my hair feel so good, but then not reflect that visually? :( I think I'll chop to BSL again. I was a bit past WL when I joined; I cut to WL, then maintained at WL, for 7 months; I cut to BSL in the beginning of the year, and my BSL ends looked just as fairytaled as my WL ends. Now I'm approaching WL again and I'm not sure what to do. :( I definitely won't grow beyond WL until I like my hemline more, but I'm not sure if I should keep chopping. Gah! Why does hair have to be so hard!? :p

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 05:12 PM
UPDATE: Rope braids were a disaster. :( When I took them out, my hair was just lank and blah. I decided to gently break them apart and they became super frizzy! Now I have straight, frizzy hair going on. :doh:

I think I'm going to try plopping next. :)

jacqueline101
May 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I think your hair is pretty. I think micro trim for thickness is the answer.

<3OnHerSleeve
May 10th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Annibelle congrats on making your one year anniversary here! Your hair looks much healthier than it was when you first joined, so I think you have made progress! Besides, for quite a few LHCers I think (at least, from my shortish experience and progress thread reading as anniversary threads are my favourites), we've learnt so much how we needed to change hair care routine that at least the first year is not necessarily about hair growth, but about learning what works for your hair type.

My one year anniversary, I had cut all my hair off, so I know it feels kind of... weird trying to show the progress after 1 year, but for me it was the progress of cutting out hair dye and starting again for my second year with healthier hair.

You have a very beautiful face and gorgeous hair, so don't worry about being annoyed with your hair, give it a chance and I'm sure you'll be much happier with your hair soon, good luck :)

ArienEllariel
May 10th, 2012, 08:24 PM
I just love the little wurlies you have in your hair :D

lolot
May 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Annibelle i was looking at your album and i think you actually have damage in your ends, because your hair pre lhc wasnt thinned out, i also saw a picture where you mention dye so probably your ends are affected by it.

you hair has a lot of potential, it is soft shiny and really pretty, dont give up because you have had long hair before so its perfectly possible that you can grow your hair very long. Im not an expert like others but i would recomend you to cut it to bsl, protect it, stop combining while wet and you really worked the cones, so i dont see why you had to quit them

good luck

Annibelle
May 10th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Annibelle i was looking at your album and i think you actually have damage in your ends, because your hair pre lhc wasnt thinned out, i also saw a picture where you mention dye so probably your ends are affected by it.

you hair has a lot of potential, it is soft shiny and really pretty, dont give up because you have had long hair before so its perfectly possible that you can grow your hair very long. Im not an expert like others but i would recomend you to cut it to bsl, protect it, stop combining while wet and you really worked the cones, so i dont see why you had to quit them

good luck

I mean, it's POSSIBLE that it's damage, but I just don't see how. The ends feel just as good as the rest of my hair, and it's very hard to even find split ends. Plus, it's all virgin. None of the hair currently on my head has been dyed or has touched heat. I did dye my hair years ago, but I have already removed all of that damage long ago.

I had a few reasons for stopping using cones. One reason was that I couldn't find any coney conditioners that fit my ethics (no animal testing), and after stopping cones, I realized a few things that they affected negatively for me. One was that my skin on my scalp and back cleared up when I stopped using cones. Another was that I discovered I actually had wavy hair, and when I use cones, my hair is almost completely straight. It will rebel and get frizzy a lot, but it will still be very straight. I'm fine with straight hair, but I'd really like for my hair to be healthy... and if it's naturally wavy, I just wonder how healthy it is to make it straight, KWIM?

Thank you so much for your comment. :flower: I think I may cut to BSL again... it seemed pointless last time, but maybe you're right and there's damage. I kind of hope you're right... :o At least that would mean there's a chance that my ends will thicken up!

kidari
May 10th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Keep in mind that most people don't have good hair all the time. In pictures there are many things that can be very misleading. Simple things like brushing or arranging the hair can make it appear totally different. I think you have gorgeous hair and there is definitely change. I have similar hair like yours- not exactly straight or wavy. One trick that is foolproof for me is to set your hair in a heat-free curling method that works best for you overnight. You get a uniform beautiful hair style that is pretty much perfect every time AND it makes your hair look much fuller with more volume. Also, when you make updos, they are easier to do, come out nicer, and stay in place longer.

faellen
May 12th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I think your hair looks beautiful - I'm always admiring it in your sig!

Annibelle
May 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
So... today, I was thinking about my hair (big surprise!), and I thought that maybe I can't replicate the waves in the third set of photos because of length.

When those photos were taken, my hair had just been cut around BSL/MBL. The rest of the time when I try wearing my hair wavy, it's been longer than that-- usually around WL. I always thought that, since my ends are so thin, they couldn't possibly be heavy enough to affect my wave pattern. But maybe it actually is.

Since I was contemplating trimming, anyway, I think I'm going to cut to MBL next wash. I hope it helps! :)

racrane
May 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Personally, I think your hair is at a stage where it looks this way, but don't give up! Keep treating it well and your hair will eventually get thicker at the ends. Either way, your hair is really very pretty so don't be down on yourself.

Lissandria
May 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM
*snip*
Besides, for quite a few LHCers I think (at least, from my shortish experience and progress thread reading as anniversary threads are my favourites), we've learnt so much how we needed to change hair care routine that at least the first year is not necessarily about hair growth, but about learning what works for your hair type.

This.

It has only been one year! Healthy, long hair is a very long term commitment. The first year may not show as much progress, especially with a lot of experimentation. I really do think you have made progress in your one year, that being said. Your hair is shinier and healthier looking for sure. Long hair really does suit you!

Your hair is lovely and you're very pretty. Congrats on making it to one year :blossom:

Annibelle
May 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks, gals! :flower: :flower: flower:

beachgirlla
May 16th, 2012, 06:57 PM

I 2nd that, you do not need hair at all, LOL