PDA

View Full Version : Would cutting bangs make my thinning hair look better or worse? (pics)

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I have thinning hair now because of my PCOS, i dont go to the doctor until next month, then i'll start on meds, so hopefully my hair will grow back where its thinning. Well, i have tailbone length wavy hair, and am fat so i have a round chubby face. I keep my hair up 99% of the time. So i thought bangs would be better to have, maybe take attention away from the thinning and onto my face instead? Plus i HATE the way my hair looks up, i think the bangs would make it more flattering. But i just dont know if bangs would make my thinning hair look worse or better?

I have a side part, and i plan on keeping that and getting side swept bangs, like the ones in this picture
http://www.womensbeautylife.com/gallery/Medium_hair/med_brunette_natural_curls only a little bit shorter than in that picture. I think with my ceramic hair iron and lots of products i could keep them somewhat straight.

And heres a pic of me, do you guys think i could pull off bangs?
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/My%20hair/July%202008/July%2025%20%202008/meandmyhair003.jpg

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k181/iluvmy67cuda/Me/e005-1.jpg

Just be totally honest and blunt, thats what i need LOL. I totally need to be SURE before i go do this.

Tap Dancer
July 28th, 2008, 04:13 AM
You could pull off bangs but it won't help the "thinning" problem because you'll be taking away some of the thickness you have now to add the bangs.

Kyannah
July 28th, 2008, 04:14 AM
I think they would suit your face and it does look softer to have a bit of hair around your face rather than all pulled back.

As regards to whether it would make your hair look thinner I don't know the answer to that one.

Teazel
July 28th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I do think bangs would suit you - you're very pretty, by the way - but they would decrease your hair's overall thickness to some extent. I suppose it would depend on how much hair was cut... what about a thinner fringe than the one you're thinking of?

Chrissy
July 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm going to be of no help I'm sure but I like the way your hair is now. I agree with the other poster you are very pretty. I hope you like whatever you decide. Or on a side note would you rather wait till you get the meds and your hair goes back to normal? Then you could see if that's what you really want to do.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 05:07 AM
yah i am thinking that maybe i should wait. But once i get on the right meds it could be months before i know if my hair would grow back, im very impatient LOL

But, even if it does grow back, i'd still keep my hair up most of the time, so i was thinking it still might suit me better with all the updo's. I just cant keep it down, because the wind wont even blow, and it'll get tangled LOL. I just thought it'd look better up with some side bangs, not so heavy like in the picture. I dunno. Im going to wait and think about it more before i go rushing into it. I need to contemplate this more first, its a big decision.

Tai Shan Fan
July 28th, 2008, 06:03 AM
There are two aspects to this question.
1) Would bangs suit you
2) Is your hairtype suitable

I think that point 2 is most important here. Like you I have thin hair and have had bangs in the past, but I could never get them to work even though I think my faceshape would probably prefer them! They never worked as often thin hair is often very fine and so tends to paste itself to your forehead or flyaway ie they never seem to fall right and need washing everyday to even get close to looking ok. Also they take away much needed thickness from the length so your length would look thinner.

One compromise I'd had in the past and may do again is chin length bangs. They have enough weight to hang better than a regular fringe, even so you're still taking away length so you're right to think very carefully before plunging in.

All the best with whatever you decide.

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Your face is definitely a face that would look lovely with or without bangs.

Bangs however, can be a great deal of work for a 2a (I'm a 1a, so they were no work at all, but I've read a lot here from others). I just don't know if the fuss would be worth it for what you're trying to achieve. You have a strong, pretty face that calls enough attention to itself.

Also, there is the issue of growing out if you aren't happy with them.

I had bangs all my life until about 20 months ago, and the growout was painfully long.

I think the important thing to do is to figure out just how you would deal with 2a bangs, and if you really want to incorporate that into your routine.

Please let us know, whichever you decide, and remember, we expect photos. :) :flowers:

physicschick
July 28th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I think your hair and face look pretty as they are. If you really want to change something, I'd recommend a few chin length bangs/layers to soften your updos. You could use less hair than a full fringe, and if you don't like them they'll grow back a little more quickly since they'll start longer.

frizzinator
July 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
You may lose more hair before it starts growing back, plus it will take a long time for the new hairs to contribute to your volume, so if you remove even a little bit of your volume now, your hair might look so thin in a few months that you may find yourself considering getting a pixie haircut. Therefore, I wouldn't cut bangs.

jivete
July 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I have very thin, 2b hair (2.25" circumference) and I also have bangs. My hair is especially thin on the side near the temples and while I do feel like the bangs take away from over-all thickness, they do help give shape. I had thicker sideswept bangs similar to the picture and decided to thin them out so I have more volume.

If you are concerned about diminishing volume, but you still think you'd like bangs, I'd recommend keeping them on the thin side. I do have to blow-dry/sometimes flat iron mine to make them behave and look good (not only is my hair wavy but I have a massive widow's peak). But it only takes seconds. You could also get longer chin length bangs first to see if you like them and then cut them shorter later. That way if you hate them, you have less to grow out later.

bex487
July 28th, 2008, 08:41 AM
My friend with very thin hair loves her sideswept bangs because, as jivete said, they give her a style. Just make sure it's what you really want! I've had some form of bangs all my life because they're so difficult to grow out for good.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Right now i have what i guess you would call 'chin' length bangs/layers, actually a little below the chin, from the last time i cut my bangs. Except then i cut them straight across because i was stupid and it was horrible so i right away began the long wait to grow them out LOL. Its just below the chin. Im really thinking about doing this, not heavy cut like that picture, but thinner. I dunno. I need to take some time to think about it before i jump into it. BUT, like everyone says, it will grow, so if i hate them i'll just have to wait it out. I need to do something to it, and i think that a slightly angled side swept bang like that would be cool. Well, i when i decide HOW to do it (cuz i'll do it myself when i figure out HOW to do it right) i'll totally post pictures. Gotta share the hair love while i have the hair to share HA.

getoffmyskittle
July 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I think you have one of those faces that looks pretty either way. The bangs you showed would look nice on you. :) But, I am not sure bangs are a good idea if your hair is thinning, because it will make it look even thinner - especially heavy ones like in that picture.

iluvmy67cuda
July 28th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Yah i definitly wont have them that thick. thats true that it would make it worse. I just want them that style/cut but thinner.

DeepRiver
July 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
I felt that after 25+ years of bangs (I have since let them grow out), I would add just a thought: The thinner your bangs are easier it is going to be to have them plastered up against your forehead. Here in Texas with the humidity and heat, my bangs were always plastered to my forehead (which was NOT the look I was going for)! I don't know what your weather is like, but that may be something to keep in mind. Using products on your hair to keep it in place may help---I don't know, I'm not one to go for hairspray on a daily basis.

Just a thought.

Hopefully your meds will help clear up the thinning hair!!

feralnature
July 28th, 2008, 11:14 PM
You have really nice features, skin and eyes. I agree that you would look good either way. The side swept bangs would take more time and effort to keep looking right, but if you are willing to but forth the styling effort then go for it. I would suggest the 2 week rule though :)

julya
July 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I'm no help at all with the bangs, but I love your glasses! I think you look so cute with them!

Ohio Sky
July 29th, 2008, 01:31 AM
This may just be me, but honestly, I think those exact bangs would make you look about 13. Not sure why...?

I think maybe thin, wispy bangs would look better on you, and would also be easier to grow out should you decide to later. Plus they wouldn't take as much from your volume.

2 week rule though!