PDA

View Full Version : Urge to CUT!

BeccaAngel
May 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
As my last thread would say i was going nuts because of my damaged ends and yes i did a trim. But now I have this urge to just cut it all off and try something new! I haven't officially decided yet but I'm leaning towards it because I'm tired of obsessing over getting my longer hair to look nicer. I find it more stress than fun lately but this could also be a phase of "hair driving me crazy" time. So I don't know what I'm gonna do yet but if I do end up getting it cut i really like this cut and style.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/medium_razored.jpg

the color is nice too but i cant do color so i would be happy with the cut if i decide to cut it.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
That is a cute cut and I fully support people doing what they want with their hair - so give it time to be sure, then go with what will make you happy.

Just be aware that that hair-cut will be a nightmare to grow out, if you think you're going to want to do that, later.

Amanah
May 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
well . . . that would be an easy cut to grow out, and it is pretty hawt looking.

PurplePenguin
May 3rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
I too have been having urges to cut. I have been going through old pictures of myself with pixie cuts and chin length hair, both look ultra cute on me. The chin length pictures of myself are really curly and as of right now most of my curl pattern is gone (thank you henna:rolleyes:). The only thing that has been keeping me from cutting is that I prefer my hair color now to my normally darker hair color. That and I have almost hit shoulder length - I've never had hair any longer than just past my shoulder.
I'd say think on it really hard before you cut. There are websites that you can use a picture of yourself and 'try on' different hair cuts. I would check into one of those.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM
That is a cute hair style. But really think about it. If you dont cut it then you can see how long it will grow. It takes patience and time to grow. But do what makes you happy.

Carissamarie08
May 3rd, 2012, 04:55 PM
Yeah this growing long thing can be tough. I'm in place where it's starting to not be fun, but I know I would regret it if I cut it so im going to keep at it. Just think long and hard about it!

panffle
May 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
It's a nice cut and if you really want it, then do it.
However it seems like it will only make you obsess over your hair even more... it seems heavily layered and will probably require styling to look nice. If it's not, then ignore this part.
Give it a few weeks, if I were you I'd think twice because growing out such cut would be a bit of a hassle...

Vanille_
May 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
I had long hair in 2009 and decided to cut it to look like Alice in Twilight.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Misc/alice-cullen01.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/People/Picture2036-1.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/7932_1222728880796_1006185449_30703230_2858465_n-1-1.jpg
I quickly realized that short hair requires constant styling. I got bored of styling and resorted to the flat iron which wasn't a great idea. Then I had to go through the awkward grow out phase and complained for what seemed forever during that time. Once my hair was cut, it turned out that I had a really unattractive wave at the base of my neck.

All this to say, really really think about it. You don't want to have any regrets.

afu
May 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
i frequently go though these phases, but my SO always manages to talk me out of cutting (which im glad of really). When i go though a fed up stage i just try to go beneign neglect with constant updo and forget about my hair for a bit, liklihood is i gain interest again in a few weeks and am glad i didn't cut

BeccaAngel
May 3rd, 2012, 05:36 PM
That's one of the reason i like shorter hair is because I really enjoy styling my hair. But I'm only at a 40 percent chance of actually cutting it, I NEVER cut unless I want it 100 percent. So either the urge will grow or fade. I will give plenty of time before I really decide. Thank you much for your advice :)

kitten1986
May 3rd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Cute hair style but it will need lots of 'styling' and products and probably straightening... so you will probably end up damaging your hair a bit.
But in saying that you should enjoy your hair so if you are sure that its what you want to do then think about it for a bit and go for it!

Long_hair_bear
May 3rd, 2012, 05:52 PM
Every time I have the urge to cut, which isn't often, I remind myself how much I regretted it the last time. By all means, do what you like, but I'm never getting a serious cut again... Trims only!

Vanille_
May 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
I can't say I ever regretted my cuts. I've done two major ones.

I did this one years before the other one I posted. I think the important thing is that after you cut it, you can't regret it. Love it. Once you start second guessing, it's over. If you want long hair again, just remember there are so many styles you can do in the meantime that you might not be able to do with long hair. I had a lot of fun trying new styles that I can't do anymore. It was fun. They were nice phases.

ETA: Also, I swear I lose ten pounds when I cut my hair.
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z252/onexmorexgirl/Hair/216030_1025720795717_1006185449_30095073_4860_n-1.jpg

bumblebums
May 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM
I've had that cut and it was a pain to style. I have 2c hair, though, which requires blow-drying and ironing to attain that look. Which I did, and which I suffered the consequences of for years to come while trying to grow the cut out.

If you like styling your hair, go for it, but even with 1c/2a hair, you will probably have to use heat to make it look good, so really long hair is not in your future if you do this cut.

The usual recommendation around here is to wait for 2 weeks before having a haircut. If you still feel like cutting, go for it. And then, pics or it didn't happen :)

HintOfMint
May 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM
If you like styling your hair, go for it, but even with 1c/2a hair, you will probably have to use heat to make it look good, so really long hair is not in your future if you do this cut.

I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Plenty of people, myself included have grown out heatstyled short hair. Just grow it out to a length where you can put it up or start doing heat-free styles and start trimming from there. Shorter heatstyled hair shows less damage, so even if you grow it out to an acceptable length, the heatstyling in the interim shouldn't be too bad.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Plenty of people, myself included have grown out heatstyled short hair. Just grow it out to a length where you can put it up or start doing heat-free styles and start trimming from there. Shorter heatstyled hair shows less damage, so even if you grow it out to an acceptable length, the heatstyling in the interim shouldn't be too bad.

I agree with you. Heat styling *long* hair can be problematic for some people, because long hair is old hair, and more fragile. Also heat styling regularly for the years it takes to *get* long - also problematic.

Heat styling for, oh, a year on relatively young (short) hair, using caution and until it's long enough to put back? Unlikely to be an issue for most hair types, I'd think.

But I'm also the woman who bleached, heat-styled daily, dyed, bleached some more - before growing out, and still bleaches, dyes, and heatstyles on a regular basic. Now, I grant you my goal length is waist, maybe hip, but I've yet to see anything that makes me think my hair will fall apart. Need a trim, maybe, but not break off at my ears.

(In summation: Antique lace? Not my hair, anyway. Not by a long shot, at least not when it's relatively short. Hell, relatively short my hair is freaking kevlar.

UltraBella
May 3rd, 2012, 07:47 PM

I agree with you. Heat styling *long* hair can be problematic for some people, because long hair is old hair, and more fragile. Also heat styling regularly for the years it takes to *get* long - also problematic.

Heat styling for, oh, a year on relatively young (short) hair, using caution and until it's long enough to put back? Unlikely to be an issue for most hair types, I'd think.

But I'm also the woman who bleached, heat-styled daily, dyed, bleached some more - before growing out, and still bleaches, dyes, and heatstyles on a regular basic. Now, I grant you my goal length is waist, maybe hip, but I've yet to see anything that makes me think my hair will fall apart. Need a trim, maybe, but not break off at my ears.

(In summation: Antique lace? Not my hair, anyway. Not by a long shot, at least not when it's relatively short. Hell, relatively short my hair is freaking kevlar.

I am one of the people who can torture my hair endlessly and grow it long without visible damage. I didn't stop doing all that "bad" stuff while growing either. When my hair was at TBL it had been colored, highlighted, colored some more, heat styled...... And it looked beautiful. Not everyone ends up with fragile hair in bad shape. Some of us do just fine.

BeckyAH
May 3rd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I am one of the people who can torture my hair endlessly and grow it long without visible damage. I didn't stop doing all that "bad" stuff while growing either. When my hair was at TBL it had been colored, highlighted, colored some more, heat styled...... And it looked beautiful. Not everyone ends up with fragile hair in bad shape. Some of us do just fine.

I have discovered, over years of playing with my hair, that it can handle coloring and heat just fine. Mechanical damage will get me, but otherwise? It does what it's going to do. Feels about the same, has about the same number of split ends (a few, admittedly), if it's 2 inches long, waist length, treated like antique lace, or bleached, dyed, and then blow dried.

Hair 'rules': Never, ever, universal, and best determined by the person wearing the hair.

BeccaAngel
May 3rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
here is what i have now

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/haircheck4.jpg

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx114/annalevion/haircheck2.jpg

Mrsbaybeegurl
May 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM
IF you decide to get that particular cut, just make sure you let the hairdresser know you don't want her to use the razor for the cut. Looking at the style appears to me it's be razor cut, which although they tell you is no different from a scissor cut...it is! It can cause splits. It can still be achieved with scissors, a good stylist can do amazing things with just his/her shears! It's a really awesome hair cut and if you can see yourself styling it and having fun then why not go for it, but ONLY after you've given it major thought and be sure to go to a trusted hair dresser who doesn't see the picture and take 5 more inches off making it darn near a pixie...which they do depending on how scissor happy the hairdresser can be. I know we are all here with the common goal of growing long hair, but that's because it's what we've chosen...so feel free to choose the hair you want!! As long as it's not done on impulse or to cover up some emotional stress (some times we whack off our hair after a break-up, job loss...) than you shouldn't end up regretting it. If all else fails...hair grows back eventually ;) Keep us updated!

bumblebums
May 6th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Well, OP, you may choose to follow the advice of people with coarse hair of iii thickness, or you may choose to listen to people whose hair is closer to yours in thickness and texture. If you really have F/M hair, it might not withstand ironing and heat styling. I am speaking from my own experience and telling you what worked or didn't work for me.

Nilyenea
May 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I get the urge to cut several times a year. To stay the urge until I am positive that I really want to do it, I find a new hairdo to play with. If that works, no cut for me. If not I deceide it is something I really do want not just bordom I go ahead and get the new cut. Might give this a try to see if it surpresses the cut urge?