PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Protective Updo

rocket_surgeon
May 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
What is your favourite protective updo?

I have a very active, outdoorsy job, so I pretty much have to wear my hair up and avoid hair toys that can get caught on things (so, no clips or hairsticks, sadly). I like to use a folded French braid, secured with an ouchless elastic or a bandana, mostly because it's so quick and easy that I can practically do it in my sleep. What's yours?

heidi w.
May 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
I posted the HOW TO of my go-to updo which is a hair stick idea on a recent youtube video on how to oil hair, or how I oil my hair. It covered oiling, detangling and this updo.

For anyone interested, here is the link. A handful of people have contacted me and said the updo is easy, and that they like it. Some can't do it because it does require fairly long hair as this updo does eat up a lot of length on the first "swirl". It's a great and easy updo especially for really long-haired folks. I often get up, and put it up bedside, hop in the shower and wear it all day and don't even detangle for the day (which is a bad habit of mine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

catamonica
May 3rd, 2012, 11:32 AM
I just wear an old fashioned braided bun. But I let my hair hang down in front of the ears.
Otherwise it would look to severe. I have looked at 1800 pictures. Some of the braided buns
are pretty. But some of the stlyles look severe, because they have no hair in front of their
ears.

Madora
May 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Combination of 2 braids plus center French braid:

Easy to do, comfy, elegant!

ETA: my avatar pic

torrilin
May 3rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Plain English braid. Celtic knot bun or plain knot bun. Cinnabun variations (figure 8, infinity, flipped cinnabun). If I got my hair wet, chances are it's in an English braid. Otherwise, a bun is fast and easy.

darklyndsea
May 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
It takes forever to do, but I love Amish braids. And since it lasts until the next wash without any problems, it makes up for how long it takes.

proo
May 3rd, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rope crown braid

sweetestpoison
May 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM
There's a few things i do with my hair on a regular basis. I like to do a modified french twist with my 4 prong fork, or sometimes a braided bun with it too. I also like to do a simple pony tail and a side braid. I prefer the bun the most for protecting it but like to change it up. Each outfit goes better with a different style ;)

jacqueline101
May 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
A loose bun.

afu
May 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM
my go-to is usually a dutch or french braid, or a gibraltar held with a short DPN. I go though phases of sock bunning too

Manny1826
May 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know of a video for Amish braids? I saw one on YouTube, but the lighting was very bad and you could not really tell what she was doing...

darklyndsea
May 3rd, 2012, 06:39 PM
Does anyone know of a video for Amish braids? I saw one on YouTube, but the lighting was very bad and you could not really tell what she was doing...
IIRC, there's one posted near the end of the amish braids thread. I'm planning to make one myself tomorrow or over the weekend. The amish braids thread has what I'd call a good description of the first part of the hairstyle (YMMV, of course), and after I have the fake french braids part of it done I usually "lace it up" like a shoe and use a hair tie to hold the ends together. Er...that probably wasn't a helpful explanation. Hopefully the thread can help you!

Mina17
May 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
My favorite is a lazy wrap bun held with a Quattro starlites fork.

Long_hair_bear
May 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
A bun with stix normally.

Phexlyn
May 4th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I consider any bun I can do without using bobby pins as "protective", so I switch around a lot. No particular favourite here, although Lazy Wrap Buns and Cinnabuns are the ones I use most of the time.

janeytilllie
May 4th, 2012, 02:12 AM
A nautilus bun held with a hair fork and a velvet fancy scrunchie over it. It's easy for me to do and holds all day :)

deja
September 17th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Crown braid. You don't need any hair ties or accessories, it's classy & cute, braids are protective in themselves because you're not getting tangles and the fact that it's not just hanging down on your shoulder is even better. I wish I had enough patience to do them all of the time.

browneyedsusan
September 18th, 2013, 06:05 AM
French roll with a couple of sticks takes 10 seconds and looks great. (It's also the only "hairstick" hairdo that I can get to work at my length.)

Emanuelle
September 18th, 2013, 08:36 AM
A rose bun! :D

Stray_mind
September 18th, 2013, 08:41 AM
A lazy bun or a braid.

TheVegan6
September 23rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
Braided buns are fun. Cinnabuns are cool. Those are my favorite.:wethree:

Komao
September 23rd, 2013, 05:36 PM
I posted the HOW TO of my go-to updo which is a hair stick idea on a recent youtube video on how to oil hair, or how I oil my hair. It covered oiling, detangling and this updo.

For anyone interested, here is the link. A handful of people have contacted me and said the updo is easy, and that they like it. Some can't do it because it does require fairly long hair as this updo does eat up a lot of length on the first "swirl". It's a great and easy updo especially for really long-haired folks. I often get up, and put it up bedside, hop in the shower and wear it all day and don't even detangle for the day (which is a bad habit of mine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

heidi w.

I just found this tonight and I really enjoyed your video and tried your updo and got it first try. Thank you:o

Hairitic
September 25th, 2013, 08:16 AM
My best holding hairstyle is a Nautilus Bun. It's easy to do and holds like iron with a stick, clip, Flexi or hairpins.

Priska
January 26th, 2024, 04:27 PM
This very simple ponytail braid (or how should you call it?..) is right now my absolute favourite. Easy but fun and playful and girlish :) (This is NOT the best version of it but you see what I mean)

https://img.aijaa.com/m/00297/15215863.jpg (https://aijaa.com/09xXXj)
https://img.aijaa.com/m/00149/15215864.jpg (https://aijaa.com/jHusaW)

ETJ CURLS
January 26th, 2024, 07:29 PM
My go-to is a single english braid tucked under itself. After that would have to be the disc bun.

fairy_hair
January 26th, 2024, 10:26 PM
Braided scrunchie bun!

TatsuOni
January 27th, 2024, 01:42 AM
A Tatsilus bun or a coronet braid.

Liria
February 2nd, 2024, 10:57 AM
My favorite is pinned up braids (in whatever way makes sense at the time) but my go-to is a bun that I do not know the name of.

It's like a cinnabun but I loop my hair tie around the base of the ponytail once before I make the bun, and then once I have all the hair wrapped around, I take the hair tie coming out of the middle of the bun and loop it over the whole thing.

It's not very pretty but it's secure, fast, and only needs a hair tie. I've been doing it since middle school, which means I do it as my default most days.

If anyone knows the name of it, please tell me! I'm so curious!

ETJ CURLS
February 2nd, 2024, 06:45 PM
My favorite is pinned up braids (in whatever way makes sense at the time) but my go-to is a bun that I do not know the name of.

It's like a cinnabun but I loop my hair tie around the base of the ponytail once before I make the bun, and then once I have all the hair wrapped around, I take the hair tie coming out of the middle of the bun and loop it over the whole thing.

It's not very pretty but it's secure, fast, and only needs a hair tie. I've been doing it since middle school, which means I do it as my default most days.

If anyone knows the name of it, please tell me! I'm so curious!

That almost sounds like the bun we were discussing in the random hair thoughts megathread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=108936&page=1098) early last month! I think we were calling it "figure 8 scrunchie bun" or something along those lines.

Liria
February 3rd, 2024, 12:47 PM
Wow! I think it's exactly that! What a coincidence that I missed it there. It's funny that y'all called it a figure eight bun, because I've been thinking of it as a bisected bun. Now I know!

I just do it reversed, and I squish it down extra.

Kelp
February 3rd, 2024, 02:47 PM
Milkmaid braids or a faux crown braid using an English braid wrapped around the head paired with French twists. I do a nautilus bun with a flexi most often because it's convenient for work, but I have a bit of breakage from only doing buns for months on end.

spidermom
February 3rd, 2024, 03:35 PM
I've been doing renovation on this old house I inherited. Most days my hair is oiled, braided, bunned (held with bobby pins), and then covered with a bandana to keep dust and paint out of it.

mochichichi
February 3rd, 2024, 04:52 PM
I do a bun every day, sometimes braided but usually not. I secure with two medium claw clips and then wear a bandana/scarf/hair covering over top of that. The volume of my bun is higher than the clips so I'm not concerned with that but if I wanted to only have my hair with no other protrusions I'd use spiral pins.

Dark40
February 7th, 2024, 12:08 PM
My favorite protective updo is a regular bun. Especially, for sleeping.