PDA

View Full Version : How to fix stringiness?!

Tina
March 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Help please!!!

I did a clarifying wash with my Degunkify shampoo, conditioned and again...stringy/velcro-y!

Is it just the texture of my hair, or is it something I'm doing or not doing? I will be doing cassia treatments soon. I've only done one treatment and I think it made a difference. So I'm very eager to do more to see if it helps the stringiness.

Ellswyth
March 15th, 2008, 07:13 PM
do you mean your hair is staticy and clings like velcro?

OhioLisa
March 15th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Sounds like what you're using is a bit too harsh for your hair. Can you give us more details about your routine? :)

freznow
March 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I don't know what hairtype you have, but I'm a finey and have found that many fineys just have stringiness. It's nearly unavoidable for some. I eliminated most of it when I was CO, when I discovered the right conditioner (VO5 kiwi lime or tea therapy, or White Rain Extra Body, for me) and the correct method (leave it on for at least 15 minutes, and use honey about once a week) my hair was happy and at least for half a day after the wash it wasn't stringy. So perhaps do some experimenting with how often you wash and what you wash with.

With my current routine (NW), it is always not-really stringy. It's not not stringy at all, but it's not stringy either. Lol.

Anje
March 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I agree with Freznow -- I've got hair that tends to get stringy, and probably always will. Its texture is quite fine, with just enough wave to get itself wrapped into little stringy sections. I switched from WO back to CO washing about a month ago, and it may have helped slightly (I've worn it down for a few hours this evening, and it's not that stringy), but there's an element of learning to live with it.

On the other hand, my husband feels it's very sexy when it gets a bit stringy, and I've seen many sites asking how one gets the "piecey" look, which is basically the same thing. So part of it is a matter of perspective.

Tina
March 16th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for your replies. Mine too is fine with waviness and some curl, if it feels like it. It's like what Anje said, that it gets wrapped around itself into stringiness. It gets very piecey. I think it is a character of my hair that I need to learn to accept. I also think it might be good to switch back to doing CO washes for awhile, just to change things up. I haven't changed my routine in quite awhile. I've been using Fructis Long and Strong for some time. I found it has really helped to prevent broken ends (I don't really get splits). I let my hair air dry. I never put heat on it. Again, I really think the cassia will help give it strength and flatten the cuticle so the strands won't get so stuck together. I'm excited to try that with CO washes to see how my hair responds. Plus it attacts little airbourne fibres - they're always at the centre of a tangle or a twisted piecey section.

Thanks for allowing me to vent!