PDA

View Full Version : Now I am just speculating, but what IF I dyed...?

Katze
May 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
if I WERE to dye my hair some different color, what would look good? Going through the 'oh I am pregnant and looking so boring' phase, but also seriously considering a change.

My hair is naturally 'hair colored' - something between blonde and brown with a lot of grey and a lot of golden highlights. I was blonde as a kid and also bleached for many years. I am also considering just getting subtle highlights, where no roots would show.

Edited to add: my hair has a LOT more silver now. Like big streaks of it.

Haircolor experience in the past:

In the past blonde was OK and looked natural as long as it was a cool shade, but it always went brassy without color deposit products. Then there was the damage issue, scalp unhappy, etc.

Black was too harsh and didn't work with my eyebrows. They are less blonde now, however, and black does fit my lifestyle and wardrobe since I wear a lot of jewel tones and black and grey and blue.

Henna went orange the two times I tried it (even BAQ) and looked horrible with my reddish complexion.

Blue looked kinda cool but I don't think I want all my hair blue.

I never tried (darker) brown or darker 'unnatural' red.

This is a pic of me in good lighting without makeup so you can see my pale yet reddish complexion and weird eye color. Season-wise, the most I can deciper is that I am a summer, but winter and fall colors look good on me since I have both cool and warm coloration (gold highlights in ashen hair, gold flecks in grey-green eyes).

forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32536

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32536

Micayla47
May 3rd, 2012, 08:28 AM
i think a medium, rich brown would be excellent on you. with a neutral tone--not too ash and not too red. the only problem is that with the silver, you would have to really keep up on the roots. :D

lapushka
May 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
Having seen your picture, considering your complexion, I'd go with a warm tone and maybe something not too drastic, like a warm darker red streak or something.

spidermom
May 3rd, 2012, 09:19 AM
My personal favoite on myself so far has been red-violet; I think you could wear it well, too. Whatever you do, make it semi-permanent unless/until you are sure you love it. I think silver hair will look amazing on you.

Amber_Maiden
May 3rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
Medium dark brown I would say- no red or auburn.

MonicaJean
May 3rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
I would go with a medium to dark brown for sure. Just something that will make your color a bit richer. :)

xoxophelia
May 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
If you could lift and dye to a light caramel brown similar to this: http://www.haircolor-ideas.com/brown/caramel-brown-hair-color-picture.php

I think it would be softening and look good with your eye color :)

marykatz
May 3rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
My vote would be for a nice honey color like Jennifer Aniston's. It is not too drastically different from your natural hair and the blondish highlights would disguise the silver strands so you can go longer between dyes.

jojo
May 4th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I think a beige colour with some lighter caramel highlights would be nice, your hair is rather an ashy colour and your skin tone warmish, so the two colours would compliment your colouring well. I think red hair would make you look too ruddy.

vindo
May 4th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I like your silvers but I think you could wear something the warm/ coppery light brown range well too. Nothing harsh or blue-ish imho.

Katze
May 6th, 2012, 06:55 AM
THanks for the great tips! You guys are kind of confirming what I am leaning towards - lighter warm highlights. Those would be easy to get without much damage since my hair has red undertones, and I can ask her to do any kind of caramel color subtly enough that I won't have much in the way of roots.

Silver will look good on me but the contrast against the dark hair at my temples is kind of annoying. I would rather go straight to full silver! I think going a bit blonder will make that contrast less and make me happier with all the silver I do have.

Dark bold red, except a red that would wash out, is kind of out for me, because here where I live this color is very popular on 'ladies of a certain age' and I am not ready to assign myself to that age group yet.

Going to think on it for two weeks and also ask my midwife if bleach and toner are OK during pregnancy...

thanks, you all!

Charybdis
May 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Foil highlights can be great for blending in silvers, and there's not a super-obvious root demarcation line as your hair grows (assuming the highlights are only a level or two lighter than your natural color). I'm growing out highlights on dark brown hair now and it looks fine. Also, if your hairdresser does only foils instead of dying all the hair, the dye doesn't touch your scalp. (There's no real evidence showing that skin exposure to conventional hair dye during pregnancy has any negative effects at all on the fetus, but I personally would be inclined to avoid chemical dyes on my scalp in pregnancy just because that's so easy to control, unlike all the nasties in our food and water supply, etc.)

Hope you have fun with whatever you decide to do with your hair! Sometimes we all need a change.