PDA

View Full Version : Too much water pressure in the shower?

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
Our house is from the 50's & I'm pretty sure we have some of the original shower heads lol Well no matter how little amount of water I turn on for my showers, the pressure is soooo hard, it started to make me think if this could be hurting my hair. My hair is thin/fine & I can't say that it necessarily sheds "too much" but if I can reduce ANY hair loss than I am allllll for it lol I started using a cup in the shower to wet/rinse my hair.. I can def say it takes a bit longer to get shampoo/conditioner out but, if it helps - I am all for it!

Is there anyone else out there that uses a cup (or something) to wet/rinse their hair in the shower instead of using the shower head stream?

amanda_the_tall
May 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
our house was built in the 40's, and our water pressure is pretty bad in our (the kids) bathroom. i think it's because it's further from the water heater (other side of the house) and the showerhead is newer and extremely troublesome. it's one of those that there's a regular showerhead and a detachable nozzle/hose thing, which likes to fall out of the holder and crash onto my head/body randomly throughout the shower. so i have to be extremely careful with my showers too. wanna trade? :D

darklyndsea
May 2nd, 2012, 08:59 PM
Have you checked if the shower head is clean? The water pressure in my dorm shower was really high, but after I cleaned it it was fine.

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
@kitten91-oh no! that does not sound pleasant.. I think I'll stick with my cup ;) hah

@darklyndsea-you know, I don't think I've actually cleaned that thing! I'll have to give that a try, Thanks!

luxepiggy
May 2nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
@darklyndsea-you know, I don't think I've actually cleaned that thing! I'll have to give that a try, Thanks!

YMMV - I clean my showerhead to increase the water pressure :p

Doxieee
May 2nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
lol yeah it's funny, out of all the hotels and friends' places Ive showered at, my shower could knock a small child over! (okay maybe not THAT bad.. but da*n close lol)

Viola88
May 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM
You could buy a low flow showerhead. It'll decrease the water pressure and save you money if you're on a municipal water system because you aren't using as much water.

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
It makes sense that too powerful of a water spray would hurt your hair, it would be like getting pelted with gravel. We bought a new showerhead that has adjustments and a filter to take out chlorine. It wasn't too expensive, I think about $17 at Home Depot or Lowes.

jeanniet
May 3rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
You could buy a low flow showerhead. It'll decrease the water pressure and save you money if you're on a municipal water system because you aren't using as much water.
Low-flow showerheads are sort of designed to increase pressure while restricting flow--that is, to give the effect of more water coming out, even though it's really less. In this case, though, it probably is a great idea because a low-flow head is about 2.5 gpm and it sounds like her pressure is much higher than that. So I agree that simply changing the showerhead may do the trick, and save water to boot!

Madora
May 3rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'd love to have pressure like that!

You may want to consider getting a shower head attachment (hand held thingie) that allows you to select what type of pressure you like. Water Pik makes them in several models. Home Depot should carry them.

heidi w.
May 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
This is an easy problem to solve. Get a new showerhead and install it. This is known as trim and not usually requiring digging in to the wall to replace the shower head itself. You can get a shower head alone without the arm that comes out of the wall. But if yours is from somewhere in the 50s or 60s, you may need to replace the arm itself too as the standards then may be different than they are now. This isn't a huge project. Shower heads simply screw on, usually.

heidi w.

Doxieee
May 3rd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I'll have to look into some new shower head options, luckily we invested in a water filtration system for the entire house, therefore I'm not worried about chlorine or anything, but def the pressure.