PDA

View Full Version : Growing from Flip to BSL support

swearnsue
May 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
Hello! I've seen threads for different stages of hair growth but not one for that stage from chin/shoulder aka flip to bra strap length/mid back. Until we get to the BSL we are so limited in hair styles, our self trimming is weird because we can't begin with a low pony and we are probably a year or two away from wearing hair toys. Are there any others that feel like sharing our challenges as we grow to mid back? Anyone else feel left out and discouraged? Please share your feelings or ideas if you want to.:joy:

Floryda
May 2nd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi there! I just got to chin a little while ago, and while it feels nice to actually be able to have my hair stay up in a pony tail for once...that's really all I can do! Definitely feelin' discouraged over here--and envious of all the cool hairdos!
Thanks for makin this thread; good idea!

swearnsue
May 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Floryda! I know what you mean, it took forever to get my hair long enough for a pony and now I want to do more things with my hair. There isn't enough to braid, unless I try the braid that (I can't think of the name of it) goes along the scalp and you add a bit more hair each time.

Bunnysaur
May 2nd, 2012, 07:52 PM
There's a shoulder to APL (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33961) thread, and there's an APL to BSL thread around here somewhere.
In the shoulder to APL thread, right now we're all talking about the awesome styles we've been able to start doing. I'm only a bit past shoulder right now and I'm already using sticks.
Don't be frustrated, there are tons of styles you can do at this length!

Floryda
May 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
Bunnysaur, it'll be a little while 'til I can join that thread :P
Also, hilarious name/signature--I love it!
Swearnsue, are you thinking of a french braid?

jacqueline101
May 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
I don't know about flip length hair. I'm armpit length or near it. I'm at an awkward stage near the end of arm pit length heading to brastrap length.

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 07:10 AM
Bunnysaur, it'll be a little while 'til I can join that thread :P
Also, hilarious name/signature--I love it!
Swearnsue, are you thinking of a french braid?

Yes! Duh I couldn't think of it last night. I've never tried it but with some practice. I'm thinking about starting a braid right in front where my fringe is growing out and running it along my hairline. Where I stop? Haven't thought about that yet! I've been using headbands alot around the house.

XcaliburGirl
May 3rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
There's also the Super-Shorties Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) for anywhere between bald and shoulder length.

I'm right at where my hair is too long to be called chin length, but not quite shoulder length. I can do a ponytail and occasionally a messy peacock twist with a clip, but I still need bobby pins.

Hyacinth
May 3rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Flip is where I'm at right now, not quite able to get it into a ponytail. Frustrating because it seems to want to flip around everywhere & not stay put like a bob would. :rolleyes:

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
There's also the Super-Shorties Thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405) for anywhere between bald and shoulder length.

I'm right at where my hair is too long to be called chin length, but not quite shoulder length. I can do a ponytail and occasionally a messy peacock twist with a clip, but I still need bobby pins.

What is a peacock twist? I have some clips and bobby pins so this peacock twist might be something I can do? I'm imagining a clip on the back of my head with all these peacock feathers sticking up out of it! LOL . I know that isn't what it is, but if it isn't too much trouble, how is it done?:cool:

lapushka
May 3rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
What is a peacock twist? I have some clips and bobby pins so this peacock twist might be something I can do? I'm imagining a clip on the back of my head with all these peacock feathers sticking up out of it! LOL . I know that isn't what it is, but if it isn't too much trouble, how is it done?:cool:

Look for the tails-up on the Flexi8 website and basically it's the same style!
http://www.flexi8.com/sizing-and-styling.html?id=hdif3AgB
(scroll to the sizing video)

XcaliburGirl
May 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM

Yup, it's basically flipping your hair up with a slight twist and clipping it so the ends stick up like a peacock tail instead of being tucked under like a French twist. I have a picture in my album from when my hair was about halfway from shoulder to APL. (I was trying to show off dyed ends, so it looks even more like a peacock.)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5612&pictureid=74486

cremenoir
May 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
i've been hovering around different stages of flip length for almost two years now, slowly cutting off old bleach damage (which is finally almost gone, yay!) but ugh. what a struggle it has been trying to like my hair at this stage. no longer short and sharp and sassy, but not yet long and pretty. it's just kind of... there. but i cut bangs recently and have been wearing it wavy and i've really been liking it a lot better lately. it's an awkward kind of cute, but meh! i'll take it. i'm just excited that it's fiiiiinally healthy enough to quit trimming all the time and just let it grow!

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM

Wow, now I see why everyone talks lovingly about Flexi8s! They are so pretty yet not over-the-top pretty if that makes sense.
I did a tails up with my little goody soft clip and it didn't look very good, but it was fun at least trying something different. I think I need more hair (isn't that always the case though?)

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Yup, it's basically flipping your hair up with a slight twist and clipping it so the ends stick up like a peacock tail instead of being tucked under like a French twist. I have a picture in my album from when my hair was about halfway from shoulder to APL. (I was trying to show off dyed ends, so it looks even more like a peacock.)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5612&pictureid=74486

I really like your peacock twist, it does show off your blue tips very nicely.

PurplePenguin
May 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM
I am currently hovering just above shoulders...its horrible. I feel like its the awkward stage where I can't do anything and all I want to do is either make it grow super fast or chop it off. I know if I chop it I will have to just regrow it and I won't be able to dye it so I'm trying really hard not to cut, plus I have a chubby face now so super short won't work anymore.

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
I went to the website link provided by lapushka and now I'm obsessed with those flexi8s. They are so pretty and lapushka, you are such a hairtoy enabler! I think with a mini I could probably pull off some decent out-of-my-face styles. Being able to wear my hair in some kind of nice style would really make this growing to the BSL a lot easier!

swearnsue
May 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
I am currently hovering just above shoulders...its horrible. I feel like its the awkward stage where I can't do anything and all I want to do is either make it grow super fast or chop it off. I know if I chop it I will have to just regrow it and I won't be able to dye it so I'm trying really hard not to cut, plus I have a chubby face now so super short won't work anymore.

It sounds like you are very close to shoulder length? Maybe if you can just hold off on the haircut for a few more weeks you will find some do-able styles that look good. Did you see the thread about kool aid temporary colors? That might be something you can do for fun to help the time go by.:cheese:

swearnsue
May 5th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have a question for everyone who is at our stage or who has been here. The problem is my hair in the front is quite a bit shorter than the back. Over the months I have trimmed the back in the usually growing-out-a-pixie way and I have sort of tried to even out each side where the old over ears made a dent. In other words, when I part my hair in the middle and comb each side down straight over my ears there is now a slant from eyebrow down to the long stuff in the back. Now, the sides aren't really straight, there is still a ghost of pixie past where the ear was AND one side is shorter than the other. Sorry this is getting long. When Long Hairs cut their hair, they pull it back into a low pony and trim, but we aren't there yet so how do we cut the sides? Or should we not cut the sides? Any advice for me and others or suggestions? Thank you in advance.

XcaliburGirl
May 8th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I really like your peacock twist, it does show off your blue tips very nicely.
Thanks!

I have a question for everyone who is at our stage or who has been here. The problem is my hair in the front is quite a bit shorter than the back. Over the months I have trimmed the back in the usually growing-out-a-pixie way and I have sort of tried to even out each side where the old over ears made a dent. In other words, when I part my hair in the middle and comb each side down straight over my ears there is now a slant from eyebrow down to the long stuff in the back. Now, the sides aren't really straight, there is still a ghost of pixie past where the ear was AND one side is shorter than the other. Sorry this is getting long. When Long Hairs cut their hair, they pull it back into a low pony and trim, but we aren't there yet so how do we cut the sides? Or should we not cut the sides? Any advice for me and others or suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Well, I just didn't get the sides cut. I only had one trim before I had quite decided to grow it out and one trim during my grow out. Most people keep trimming the back and leave the sides alone. I had a sort of very short angled bob after my first cut, so that the weird ear gap was turned into the angle of the bob almost like this (I just found this image with Google, I don't know who this is.): http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcconnellfranklin/2384461898/
You might be past that point, I'm not sure. I did another trim, not touching the sides, when it grew mullet-like again. Then I've just let it grow for the past 6 months.

Personally, I wouldn't cut my own hair while it's this short, because I'd be too afraid of messing it up. I'd be very clear on that you just want the sides even and that you are growing them out.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

swearnsue
May 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks!

Well, I just didn't get the sides cut. I only had one trim before I had quite decided to grow it out and one trim during my grow out. Most people keep trimming the back and leave the sides alone. I had a sort of very short angled bob after my first cut, so that the weird ear gap was turned into the angle of the bob almost like this (I just found this image with Google, I don't know who this is.): http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcconnellfranklin/2384461898/
You might be past that point, I'm not sure. I did another trim, not touching the sides, when it grew mullet-like again. Then I've just let it grow for the past 6 months.

Personally, I wouldn't cut my own hair while it's this short, because I'd be too afraid of messing it up. I'd be very clear on that you just want the sides even and that you are growing them out.

Good luck with what you decide to do.
Thank you. I've decided to let the sides grow out more and when they reach my shoulders I'll trim everything even. It's not too hard to wait now that I'm past the old shaggy pixie stage. I wish the front would grow as fast as the back though. Weird.

lapushka
May 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I went to the website link provided by lapushka and now I'm obsessed with those flexi8s. They are so pretty and lapushka, you are such a hairtoy enabler! I think with a mini I could probably pull off some decent out-of-my-face styles. Being able to wear my hair in some kind of nice style would really make this growing to the BSL a lot easier!

Oh, I try... :D :p

constructamane
May 12th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I think I am approaching flip stage. My hair is about 9 inches, measuring from the scalp. Its about jaw to chin length. Its not long enough for a pony, and I hate stubby ponys, so I probably won't wear it like that for another 4-6 inches, and that means, for me another 8-10 months! So, summer will have to be barrettes with hair down.
Good Points: I like feeling the silky hair on my face again....something I didn't have when it was short,
Bad Points..but it is still not long! Hair toys! That brings me to another dilemma...my hair is so fine and thin, I have a problem with SOME hair ornaments STAYING ON....I guess we will cross that bridge, so-to -speak!

constructamane
May 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Just checked out that website on those flexi8s...beautiful...but do they really work for those that have baby fine, slippery hair? And I have a tutorial on hairstyles!

swearnsue
May 12th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I'm new using Flexi8s, only owned them for a few days but I've found a style that is comfortable and looks, to me anyway, pretty good. My hair is about 8 inches long too. I part my hair in the middle and take a mini to clip back the hair from the front/sides to my head above my ears.These stay in OK, probably not all day so I may use the trick explained earlier about wrapping with a hair tie around the post thing. Then I take the extra small flex and do a tails up in back. Now, none of the flexi8s are the same style or color but it keeps my hair pretty secure and out of the way. I'm going to wear it this way for the first time outside to take Mom out for Mother's Day.

constructamane
May 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
swearnsue...if you can take a pic at when time allows, to show me what you are doing??

swearnsue
May 12th, 2012, 05:35 PM
swearnsue...if you can take a pic at when time allows, to show me what you are doing??

Ok, if it comes out fairly decent I will.

swearnsue
July 14th, 2012, 09:03 PM
My avatar is the pic I took of the Flexi8 clipping my hair back. In May. That was two months ago but I still like my Flexis!