PDA

View Full Version : External Use of Biotin

sarahbrownie
May 2nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I can't take biotin due to the side effects of really painful cystic acne. I've taken biotin for a year and the "detox" period never subsided. However I saw a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qXMDDo-0c) of a "souped up" version of black castor oil. She included putting the uncapped biotin powder to simmer in the castor oil before straining. I'm wondering if external application of biotin is actually effective? I tried googling it but there isn't a lot of information on the subject. Thanks!

sarahbrownie
May 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
bumpity bump

Topaz
May 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
I don't know about the castor oil/biotin mixture, but I have tried doing a deep conditioning using a natural biotin conditioner concentrated on my scalp (then piled up in a shower cap and let it soak it for at least a half hour), and it always seems like I get faster growth for a short time afterwards.

Hmmm, now that you've brought it back to my mind, I may have to do it again! :)

sonng
May 3rd, 2012, 12:25 PM
mmm i heard that eating biotin is more effective than using it on the hair.... :< thats all i know

gogirlanime
May 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Biotin naturally occurs in your stomach, when you eat too many raw eggs it kills the biotin in your stomach. Being deficient in biotin is rare because your stomach retains so much of it in a reserve-like way (like camels with water). That said, your stomach must break it down for the body to utilize it, external / topical biotin has little to no effect.