PDA

View Full Version : Battling an eating disorder whilst trying to grow hair

LadyHazel
May 2nd, 2012, 03:42 PM
I have had severe bulimia nervosa for many years. Lately, I have cut down my erratic behaviour as much as I can, I put my hair up at night now in braids and I take supplements as well as hot oil treatments and many deep conditioning treatments.

I was wondering who else out there is or has suffered a disorder whilst growing hair, what effects it had etc and how you are coping.

I would appreciate advice, my hair didn't grow for years until recently when I started taking supplements and I make sure I take them after my sickness so it is not a pointless cause- do you think the supplements are helping?

Some general support would be appreciated as sometimes I feel that there is no hope for long hair for people like me, and some opinions about the aid of any supplements others are taking.

Thank you!

xoxophelia
May 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hmm.. I think a big part of it is that you have to force yourself to prioritize. I can feel you pain as I used to be anorexic (years ago) and then when trying to come out of it got trapped on the binge-purge never ending cycle. In my case I was going between binging and then starving/over exercising. So, I realize my advice may not completely apply to your situation especially if physically purging has become an automatic physical response for you. But if it hasn't, that is where priorities come in. I had decided I would rather gain weight if I had to in order to get better. In other words, I decided to try to stop restricting even if I binged. If you are able to get yourself to do that, it may greatly help your hair. Growing thick long hair can actually be a really positive incentive I think to try to stay in a healthy calorie range and not fast or purge. If it does come down to it though, don't fret too much over your hair as it will grow back. The health of your body is much more important :grouphug:

arcane
May 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
I got my hair to waist length while battling an ED, but I had to cut if off due to damage. It can be done. For me the biggest thing is when the ED is really bad I shed like crazy.

I generally take biotin, vitamin D, MSM, and a multivitamin, or some combination there of. I make sure to eat things that contain B-12, but if I'm not taking enough in I take a supplement too.

I think the supplements are probably helping, not only your hair but other parts of your body. I definatly have more energy and feel better when I take supplements. Also wearing the hair you have up in protective styles and handling it gently will help protect that hair that you do manage to grow.

LadyHazel
May 2nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
You have stated it is not a similar situation but it applies more than one could ever imagine. It is very difficult and I am sorry you have ever had to go through any sort of disorder whether it be anorexia or another, it is a very cruel, cruel disorder where sometimes your mind even feels as if it is your worst enemy. Horrid. Your hair is beautiful, however, thus you give me the incentive of better health and gorgeous locks thus I cannot thank you more for your reply :) x

LadyHazel
May 2nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thank you arcane- are you currently battling this now also? If you are I am sorry to hear this and any previous experiences you have had in the past.

And GOSH my hair always sheds like crazy its all around the house!!

Amber_Maiden
May 2nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Used to have an eating disorder, when I used to model. I spent 5 years with an sting disorder- it didn't just wreck my body, it wrecked my teeth, and other things, permanently.

Hair wise, my hair was horrible then. My hair didn't start to look healthy until I had stopped my behaviour and gained weight. I had anorexia. I lost hair in clumps.

Definitely get your body healthy.

jeanniet
May 2nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
I wasn't trying to grow my hair when I was bulimic, so I don't have a lot of ideas for you, but I would love for you to join us in the compulsive overeating thread in the Health forum (the title says non-purging, but don't worry about that), if you feel you can do that. :)

LadyHazel
May 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Oh thank you so much ladies I just adore your comments and help, so sincere. It is painful to know that you have too experienced this.

As for the thread, I will definately take a look but I am sensitive to some things and there's so much backbone as to why I do what I do, its not a typical case of bulimia (eat, purge etc) its also a case of self infliction, emotional attachment and trauma that has never gone away :( x so it may take a while for me to participate as such x

xoxophelia
May 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Oh thank you so much ladies I just adore your comments and help, so sincere. It is painful to know that you have too experienced this.

As for the thread, I will definately take a look but I am sensitive to some things and there's so much backbone as to why I do what I do, its not a typical case of bulimia (eat, purge etc) its also a case of self infliction, emotional attachment and trauma that has never gone away :( x so it may take a while for me to participate as such x

Yes, there can be so many issues tied up into the one problem and if you are sensitive don't force yourself to be exposed to thinking about it if you think there may be a trigger. Only you can know what is right for you in the moment.

I still struggle from time to time but regardless of that, it is still so much better. It doesn't rule my mind anymore and you eventually find your personal ways to cope if you stick to it. You can also gradually learn to accept yourself. Growing long hair is about patience.. years of patience. And you can learn to apply that same patience to other areas of your life. That is what I try to do anyways. And I just never give up. Just know that it really can get better even if it seems totally hopeless and you feel trapped in a hole too deep to get out of.

roxee
May 2nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I know ingesting hemp seed oil is very good for repairing and helping organs aswell as promoting healthy hair, you can find it on most health food sites. I was recommended hemp oil by a nutritionist when I started to recover from my ed and it has made a massive difference to my hair and skin (my eyes are shinier to) as well as helping my organs heal from damage.
I truly hope you all the best with your ed as I know what very cruel disorder it is to suffer from xx

ttverdy
May 2nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
Been there. Until very recently. I've been in the same boat as you for about 9 years. I am currently in my third week of being "clean" and I hope it sticks. I've never gotten farther than a couple days before, so I think this time is different.

I have been able to grow my hair, but I had more issues with shedding from time to time. I don't really have any advice, because I am not sure if anything can really help you to have healthy hair if you don't have a healthy body.

My thoughts are with you, and please know that if I can do this, anyone can. I was a very severe case, and treatment and even medication didn't help me. I know exactly how hard it can be, but now that I'm three weeks into it, it's becoming much easier and consuming less of my thoughts.

Good luck with your journey,

Tori

jeanniet
May 2nd, 2012, 06:32 PM

If it is too sensitive for you, then I completely understand. I just wanted to offer the invitation and let you know that you are not alone. :grouphug:

LadyHazel
May 3rd, 2012, 12:39 AM
Thank you so much I can't believe that you've had to suffer in this way. I may try the oils and let you know. I really appreciate the support and the advice thank you for telling me your experiencess and I hope everyones journey to recovery is a fast one x