PDA

View Full Version : Undecided.. to cut or not to cut?

Sofoulee
July 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Hello everyone!

A few days ago, after a ton of begging... I let my best friend straighten my hair. I know, GASP! I really didn't feel like letting her do it, because I have gone two years with no heat damage and I really didn't feel like breaking it on a whim. But, she was persistant and swore that her new straightener wouldn't do much damage.

Well, I let her do it, and I was devastated at what I found. It seems as if a very good part of the last 4 inches is nothing other than what I can describe as "shredded". It's tattered looking and looks so unhealthy. It's the last remaining part of the blonde highlights I got in 2 1/2 years ago, and I'm sure that's got something to do with it. I'm also thinking that maybe my stylist MAY have chopped in some layers without my knowledge. But here's my dilemma:

Because my hair is curly, wispy ends are *somewhat* easily camouflaged. But knowing that it is actually so destroyed makes me want to start fresh. I know that it will look really, REALLY short if I choose to cut it off, and I really don't like that.

But, I also know that some of you on here choose to keep some of your tattered ends to "protect" the rest of your hair as you are growing it out, so it slowly gets snipped to perfection with some regular trims.

So, do you think that it should stay or go? I'd love your opinion, and I know that this is pretty long for just a simple question, but hopefully, you guys won't just give me simple answers. I love your feedback.

THANK YOU! :D
PS: Oh, by the way, I put up some pictures in the photo album "my curls" (or lack thereof...)

manderly
July 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I would leave it be. You have never noticed this when you let your hair be natural, your curls are fantastic.

If someone curled my hair up and I was appalled at the crazy bits of damage I saw.....well, I wouldn't let them curl it again :p

Sofoulee
July 27th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Aww, thanks Manderly!

Teazel
July 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I agree with manderly. If the damaged hair doesn't bother you that much when your hair is natural, it might be better to keep the length and gradually trim out the "shredded" stuff. Once that's grown out, you can start growing longer again, with beautiful healthy hair! :flower:

ETA: Your curls look gorgeous in your photos. :)

manderly
July 27th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Oh, and another thing. The few mega-curlies I've seen with straigtened hair always looked MESSED UP........because they get cut different from straighter hairs. Don't sweat it!

Riot Crrl
July 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
If I flatiron my hair, it looks like all a whole bunch of damage. It isn't, it's just taper that I can't usually see. Then I flatiron it and go "WTF ARE ALL THESE ENDS." Then I look at it and see that they are good, they are just different lengths. HTH

Tangles
July 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
What you see as tattered ends is nothing but grown out bleached ends. Sure, they might be a bit more fragile, but if you're not seeing taper when you wear your hair curly, why would you need to cut it?

I don't think one straightening session damaged your hair. It might have, but I think it's more likely that the ends tuck into your curls and you don't notice them. I think you should continue at your current regimen, trimming a tiny bit regularly, perhaps?

EvaSimone
July 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I am not a curly so my advice probably isn't as great as someone with the same hair type but I'd suggest to either leave it be or micro trim the damage off over the next six months or so. I looked at your photo album and I agree with RiotCrrl your ends don't look so much tattered and damaged, more like different lengths.

For what it's worth your curls really are stunning and the ends aren't noticeable at all when it's curled up. :)

DecafJane
July 27th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Your hair looks so gorgeous when it is curly - I don't think you need to cut at all!

30isthenewblack
July 28th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'm sure my hair would look the same if I straightened it as I've got so many layers in my hair. My plan of action is to grow my hair to my waist and then start maintaining the length. I don't think you would be happy if you cut off a drastic amount of hair. My hair naturally layers anyway no matter how many times it is given a blunt cut.

crystal_89
July 28th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Seeing as your hair looks beautiful when its curly and you never straighten your hair anyway, I think it would be a mistake to cut off the ends. They don't seem to be doing any harm.
Sorry if my reply is too simple, but we have very different hair

:blossom:

morgwn
July 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM
As a fellow curly hair (but less curly than your hair is), I'd recomment just slowly trimming off the damaged bits, perhaps even after you get to a temporary goal length. If they're not noticeable, then just S&D treatment is good enough until you get it longer and then you can trim perhaps an inch every couple months until it's all in (relatively) good repair.

Chrissy
July 28th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Hi there. I personally love your curls. How long will it take for them to come back? I know nothing about curls since my hair has always been straight. I wouldn't cut unless you just want to trim a little. It doesn't look as bad as you think.

Arctic
July 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
If your ends actually feel bad, you could trim a little, maybe 0,5-1", if it feels good, I propably wouldn't trim. And since you wear your hair natural all the time, you could concentrate to trimming the very end of each curl when they become uneven/ragged looking. Honestly it's not so bad! :flower:

Islandgrrl
July 28th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I think you should pamper the heck out of those ends to minimize futher damage and call it a day. Don't cut, except for maintenance trims.

HeatherMae
July 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I wouldn't cut it either. Manderly said it perfectly. I think your hair looks very pretty. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

bex487
July 28th, 2008, 07:20 AM
From what I've read, cutting straight hair is totally different from cutting curly hair (and likewise, a curly cut will look very different with straight hair). Since it sounds like you never straighten your hair, I'd leave the ends be and just do microtrims every month. Before you know it, all that damage will be gone!

LaurelSpring
July 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
You have beautiful curls! I second the micro trims.

spidermom
July 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I advise lots of tender, loving care and regular small trims.

curly girl fla
July 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Microtrims, yes, but please don't cut that beautiful hair for such a reason! Like many have said, you didn't notice a problem when curly, and it may not be damaged but just the perception due to the fact that we cut our hair differently.

FrannyG
July 28th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Honestly, your hair doesn't look as though it needs any trim at all. If you must trim, just try 1/4 of an inch. I'm sure that the varied hemline when your hair is straight is just a function of having such curly hair.

It looks perfect, just the way it is! :flowers:

thankyousir74
July 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Well I'm not a curly but I greatly think you should not cut it. if anything do microtrims once in a while. in my experience if you chop a good portion of it off you might end up regretting it later. besides i'd rather maintain a certain length (microtrim) than just chop off a lot of growth that i would've been happy about.

Sofoulee
July 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I want to thank all of you for expressing your opinions!

I think I'm gonna go with what I see as the majority here and just maintain the length and give some micro-trims. I think that I just freaked out a bit when I saw how thin it got at the ends, but hopefully with (a lot of) TLC and a little luck, I'll be able to grow it out long and strong :)

BlackfootHair
July 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Hi, just joining this thread now...I agree that small trims would be great. Obviously your curly hair doesn't look damaged, but you know there is some damage on the very ends from chemicals before. Small trims would help get rid of the damage, preventing splits from becoming worse (if there are splits). With small trims you wouldn't have to worry about mega shrinkage either. Since your hair is super curly, I agree with trimming when your hair is dry, so you can grab each chunk of curl, and examine the bottom. :) I hope that makes sense... :) And your natural color looks awesome!

NurseMama
July 28th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Were they split or just damaged looking?

If they were split then microtrim/ dust. If they were just damaged then baby them and keep regular trims.

You have great hair! Curly hair is really not meant to be straightened- it just doesn't look right! You have awesome gorgeous shiny curls that are not meant to be straight... :)

Chromis
July 28th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with the microtrim crowd. Also, don't let your friends bully you into doing things you don't want to do! Stand up for yourself!

pariate
July 28th, 2008, 10:05 AM
If I were in your position I think I'd stick to microtrims and content myself with the knowlege that nobody else will see the damage if I am wearing it naturally curly!

I'm a wurly and on the days that my hair decides to relax and fall straighter, my ends don't look too hot... but on curly days it looks pretty great and nobody would know that there's anything wrong :)

Everyone here seems to love your fab curls, so spend a few minutes congratulating yourself on having such lovely locks! :flower:

embee
July 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM
So glad you have decided only to micro trim off old damage over time and not do a chop. Your curls are lovely and suit your face wonderfully well.

I cannot imagine how you feel with straight hair, though it might be how I felt when I got a short cut poodle perm: I frightened myself when I looked in the mirror, there was a stranger looking back! Never again!

When you get pushed next time, you can say "NO! Been there done that - it was baaad."

Darkhorse1
July 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
See, I don't think your ends are shredded. Since you have curly hair, it's more layered. There fore, when you straighten it, it will look 'uneven', hence, it looks shredded.

From my friends who have curly hair, you have to have it layered, or else the curls bulk up. So, I think your hair is fine! If you are concerned about the unevenness or state of your hair, perhaps ask a hair dresser for their opinion. Your hair looks great to me! :)

girlcat36
July 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Your hair is so beautiful---it is not necessary to cut it! Microtrims every couple of months or so.

Sofoulee
July 28th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Aww, thanks everyone!

I am not. I repeat, AM NOT going to let anyone convince me to do that again!

I can't stand the way if feels or looks, and it makes me feel bad about my hair :( You guys make me feel great :D

Tressie
July 28th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't do a thing to that beautiful head of curls! Just pamper it and be thankful. It will grow and you can do a tiny trim when you feel so inclined. My advice about what to do when you freak out about your hair and feel compelled to do something drastic...............wait a bit, and be sure! You've done exactly that, and you have received a lot of good advice! The Bible tells us ..."there is safety in the multitude of counselors." Proverbs 11:14 (KJV) :D

aprilmay
July 28th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Find a deep conditioner and use it once a week or so for awhile and hopefully this will camouflage what happened to your hair.

katiana
July 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I have to agree with what most people said..you have such lovely hair and curls..I do not know how to take care of curly hair, but looking at is curled, it just looks really beautiful and I wish I had hair like yours!