PDA

View Full Version : Ends driving me Crazy!

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ok well, my hair is pretty healthy in general and i do take good care of it. but lately i been noticing my ends are looking pretty damaged from past coloring. its only about an inch up the length that is damaged.
I'm wondering should i trim this off asap or can i leave it be for a while? because i really don't want to lose more length, i'm enjoying having longer hair and trust me an inch off does make a difference. What do you think? :)

nobeltonya
May 2nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Do you oil? Or use leave-in? Also, try putting it up for a little while until you get enough length that you wouldn't miss the extra inch.. :)

Avital88
May 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
try trimming half an inch maybe? and then just leave it until youre ready to cut more.
Damage has to be eliminated one day or another anyway..
I sometimes regret that i didnt trim more before,my ends would have been much better now..

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 03:27 PM
Do you oil? Or use leave-in? Also, try putting it up for a little while until you get enough length that you wouldn't miss the extra inch.. :)
i usually oil my ends when they seem damaged, and it does help but it only helps for so long.

im also wondering if this ends damage will affect the rest of my length later on? or just stay at the ends

earthnut
May 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I would trim them off, myself.

Otherwise, I'd suggest keeping them well moisturized / oiled, and putting your hair up at night and using a satin pillowcase. (And during the day too if you want, the more the ends are tucked out of the way the more protected they are)

nobeltonya
May 2nd, 2012, 03:59 PM
The damage can travel up the shaft [*giggle* :D ] if not kept under control.. really the only option is to trim it off.. you could try trimming a little at a time [so it's not so drastic] or like Avital said, half an inch.. then maybe another half an inch next month..

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Damage travels up. Tiny splits become wider splits. What are now white dots break off and become splits, etc.

Even if it's only 1/4 inch every month or two, those damaged ends are going to have to come off.

Amber_Maiden
May 2nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Definitely trim.

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
I could trim but its gonna have to wait till i have money or my best friend has time to trim it. i would trim it myself but i know if i'm brave enough to do it. i don't wanna mess my hair up

jacqueline101
May 2nd, 2012, 04:32 PM
I'd trim it a little at a time.

bumblebums
May 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM
I could trim but its gonna have to wait till i have money or my best friend has time to trim it. i would trim it myself but i know if i'm brave enough to do it. i don't wanna mess my hair up

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

And there are lots of youtube videos. It's hard to mess this up if you trim off just a 1/2 cm at a time :)

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 04:43 PM
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

And there are lots of youtube videos. It's hard to mess this up if you trim off just a 1/2 cm at a time :)
my hair has layers in it, and its the shorter layers that are more damaged. i suppose i could give it a try... thank you much :)

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 05:36 PM
I just gave myself a little trim, i will see how i really did once my hair dries... wish me luck! :)

BeccaAngel
May 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
my trim turned out pretty good, yay for home trims! saves moneys and although it made me nervous at first, just reminded me of how much i love hair all over again :P

bunzfan
May 3rd, 2012, 03:18 AM
my trim turned out pretty good, yay for home trims! saves moneys and although it made me nervous at first, just reminded me of how much i love hair all over again :P

So pleased it went well for you, self trimming is great you can really see how much your taking off.

Alvrodul
May 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
A small trim can make for a great difference in your hair, especially when the trimmed portions of hair are damaged! I am glad that your hair is happy again!

coffinhert
May 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
My ends are damaged from dye and I always put a tiny bit of coconut oil on them when they are still damp from the shower, brush it in with a boar bristle brush, and then I always put them up protected in a bun when I am sleeping. This has helped enormously.

nobeltonya
May 3rd, 2012, 08:59 AM
Good job on your trim! :) It gets better the more you do it. You'll get used to it, and then it'll be a snap. I like being able to trim my own hair.. I haven't been to a salon in 5 or 6 years. :p That was part of the reason I grew my hair long.. got tired of having to get it trimmed every 4-6 weeks. Got expensive.