PDA

View Full Version : dry hair after curling?

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a quick question for you all. I do heat free, product free, curling and my hair feels dry and brittle after every time. I cannot figure out why this is and it's getting really bad. I want to resolve this so I can keep curling my hair safely. Thanks in advance.

my hair is a touch coarse. I have been treating with coconut oil, washing once a week with a touch of shampoo. I did a coconut CO soak, suave brand, yesterday and it helped but right after curling my hair felt a touch dry and brittle again. It was trying to knot to heck too. The hairs break easier than they used to as well. I think I diagnosed the problem as a lack of moisture but I want to know if heat free curling saps moisture from hair?

BeckyAH
May 2nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
Hi all,

I have a quick question for you all. I do heat free, product free, curling and my hair feels dry and brittle after every time. I cannot figure out why this is and it's getting really bad. I want to resolve this so I can keep curling my hair safely. Thanks in advance.

my hair is a touch coarse. I have been treating with coconut oil, washing once a week with a touch of shampoo. I did a coconut CO soak, suave brand, yesterday and it helped but right after curling my hair felt a touch dry and brittle again. It was trying to knot to heck too. The hairs break easier than they used to as well. I think I diagnosed the problem as a lack of moisture but I want to know if heat free curling saps moisture from hair?

What are you using to curl your hair? Sponge rollers and curling paper will both suck the moisture right out of my hair. Because, well, both materials wick moisture. So, I put them on wet, they get damp. Then, while the curl sets and they dry. And suck even more moisture out of my hair (especially at the ends) as they go. Really lousy for my hair.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
I have been doing pin curls and this last time I did cocoons (wrapping the hair around itself). it's typically right after combing and separating the curls that the dryness makes itself known.

spidermom
May 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sponge curlers used to suck the moisture out of my ends something awful. In the end, I would only use them just before I was going for a trim.

Now my hair doesn't hold a curl anyway.

BeckyAH
May 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
I have been doing pin curls and this last time I did cocoons (wrapping the hair around itself). it's typically right after combing and separating the curls that the dryness makes itself known.

The only thing I can think, then, is that it's not the curling so much as the curls. Ie: you're giving them more exposed surface area than laying flat, and more moisture is just getting lost to the environment.

But that *is* just a theory.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
Any suggestions on how to combat this?

BeckyAH
May 2nd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Are you using an oil before curling, but while it's still damp/wet? If not, that might work. If so - I got nothing.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 01:50 PM
That...I have not been doing *facepalms*

Roscata
May 2nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Curly hair whether natural or not comes with frizz, that's just how it it. So if you want to avoid it you can try oiling or another leave-in like Kimberlily's defrizz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) which you can apply after curling and add as much as you need then scrunch it into hair to keep the curl intact. Good luck! :)

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the input. I will oil my hair before curling from now on. I am wondering if my hair is the type that just needs moiture a lot since I live in such a hot climate.

Diamond.Eyes
May 2nd, 2012, 03:12 PM
I only use rubber rod curlers on slightly damp hair because they don't absorb moisture. I also recently started applying perm papers to the ends of my hair to protect them while doing heatless curling methods and it has worked wonders. :) I have a tutorial on how I use the rubber rollera. It's in my blog if you're interested. :flower:
P.s. it is also a good idea to apply coconut oil, shea butter, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc. before heatless curling so your hair stays moisturized.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I have seen some of your tutorials and intend to try them :D Thanks for the advice. Since Yesterday when my hair was at its worst I began looking into things like shea butter. According to a wet asses from a article posted here my hair is lacking in moisture pretty badly. A week ago it was stretchy which meant it had moisture but lacked protien. *sighs* swinging between the two trying to find balance, but thus is the LHC journey to propper hair care, no? ;)

jacqueline101
May 2nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Curl the hair then use oil afterwards to add moisture.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 05:47 PM
okay, I tried oiling my hair with olive oil (no curling) and it seemed to soak in but then an hour later my hair seemed to spit it back out! Impossible I know, but now my hair is all greasy. Gah! this is so frustrating. I can't use sulfate. I found out yesterday that my scalp hates them. Could the use of suave coconut conditioner put cones in my hair that are now blocking out moisture?

Or am I just dumb and up a creak without a paddle....

Roscata
May 2nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
If you don't want to try the defrizz spray I recommended you can try aloe vera gel, just make sure you get the clear kind because the green/blue/colored ones have alcohol which will dry out your hair.

writer_mom
May 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
Not saying I won't try it, just seriously short on cash right now :(

Roscata
May 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry I couldn't help more I hope you find something that works for you. I got my aloe vera gel at CVS for $4.99.
Lots of luck to you! :)